Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum but my 2007 cayman S has been making a grinding noise in the passenger side exterior side vent, sounds very loud like literally something is in a grinder, please help if anyone knows what this is?? I also have only noticed the sound while car is running in park, not when driving. on a side note does the paint job on the front luggage compartment battery area look like a 5 year old did it, paint job is bad in there!

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I am new to the forum but my 2007 cayman S has been making a grinding noise in the passenger side exterior side vent, sounds very loud like literally something is in a grinder, please help if anyone knows what this is?? I also have only noticed the sound while car is running in park, not when driving.
Maybe the engine compartment cooling fan ingested something that is causing the sound when it kicks on (it usually only comes on when you aren't moving), or it may be a problem with the fan itself. I would shine a flashlight up there to see if you can see anything foreign; otherwise I think a trip to the dealer would be in order.

on a side note does the paint job on the front luggage compartment battery area look like a 5 year old did it, paint job is bad in there!
What color is it painted? I think they all come from the factory as plain black plastic, so someone must have painted it before it got to you.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
That engine fan noise can be LOUD if you're not expecting it. Mine is more of a humming sound.

Maybe it could be a fan bearing going bad?

The "color" of the battery cover should be the same as the rest of the black plastic trim in the front trunk, unpainted...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, thank you for your replies i am going to the dealer tommorow and will bring all suggestion I have gotten with me, since the grinding noise is random and loud, its worrying me. The paint i am talking about is not the plastic but rather if you open the plastic door that leads to the actual battery, around the battery the paint is done poorly in that compartment. tough to explain where I am talking about. thank you again for the help!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Humm, I wonder if the battery leaked at one point and corroded the paint. The OEM battery has a vent that should have a clear plastic hose attached to it that leads to the outside. It's a small, 1/8" hose. Make sure that is attached.

I've read that the fumes that the battery emits can be corrosive in a closed area like the battery chamber in our car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
CamanS07

I have a 07 C brought home 12/23/09, which, based on your description, has the same noise. I did not hear it (notice it) during the cold weather, as the fan did not come on. It is quite noticeable, when the fan kicks in. It varies in intensity. When I place my hand in front of the side grille there is plenty of air movement and the engine is running right on the 175 mark. I will look forward to reading your dealer visit results post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey sorry for the delay in getting back to the forum, I took it to the dealer and they still have the car, it was the small engine cooling fan and the shroud that it is in, they were damaged. Both of the parts are being replaced and dealer said that i should no longer have the issue of the grinding noise. thank you all again and will post when i get the car back on final result!!! hope its all fixed by just replacing those two small parts

·
Registered
252 Posts
CaymanS07 - Thank you for your update and I look forward to your next report. Considering that these components are in the closed engine compartment, did your dealer provide any idea of why or how the problem developed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.