Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Cayman S!! low mileage 987.2 or high mileage 981

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Neil_jdmr 
#1 ·
Question above really! Better asking you guys with a wealth of experience than listen to salesman or www.hearsay.

Im not bothered about bose systems, extended nav etc but chrono pdk is must. Also I'm not really concerned with warranty etc but i will keep up the services with a indy. Simple things I'll just do myself.
The car will be used as weekend and trackday car probably doing 4k a year

What i don't want is a load of maintenence stuff constantly niggling me tbh.

For my budget i can go 987.2 @20-40k miles or 981 @70-90k.

Also what are the major service intervals for the pricy things like cambelt/pdk refresh?

Thanks,

#2 ·
You'll probably have to check them both out in person to decide for yourself. I'd say the biggest difference is the much more modern interior in the 981. Ive never driven a 981, but people say its not as raw feeling as the 987. The 981 loses hydraulic steering.

Personally I would rather trade modernity for better condition and less wear. Especially when the 987.2 is a really solid car. There weren't any big issues that were rectified with the 981. I think the 987.2 is the better looking car as well, though thats entirely subjective.

#4 · (Edited)
I chose a low mileage well optioned 987.2 BS with impeccable records and I think I got the best car for an avid driver. I'm sure the 981 could take a given corner faster but I think this car delivers a more involved feel. Plus there is no replacement for low miles when it comes to like new performance and serviceability IMHO.
I don't track the car. I just drive canyon roads and the 981 may be a better track choice. IDK. GL with the hunt.

#6 ·
I had the same dilemma, price range and mileage options as you. I sat in a 987 and got out. The interior has not aged well at all, where as the 981 looks great, even the 982 is not that different.
I ended up with the 981, better looking car in my opinion. Power differences are close enough. I came from an E36 M3 which had better steering than the 981 but it's really not that far away.

I also did all the 80k/8 year maintenance on the 981, everything was pretty easy.
New filters (pre, cabin, intake) and spark plugs. Oil change, brake flush later this month..no different than the 987 on the later.
Insurance on the 987S was a touch more than the 981 base.

#7 ·
If you have a softer car to drive.. go 987. If you have a harder car to drive already, go 981. If it were my only car I'd probably get the 981. I mention it because these are often 2nd cars.

Local road conditions would bias me too. If there is heavy traffic to commute and potholes, I'd go with the smoother ride better interior.

Also "70 to 90k high mileage" is kind of an oxymoron. Its not 1980 anymore when cars didn't last.

#8 ·
I would go 987 due to the pure race car feel. The newer cars are getting so computerized they are not feeling like a true sports car as compared. They do offer more luxury if that's your thing. Also, the more these cars are computerized, the more dealer visits with special tools maybe in your future. IMHO

#9 ·
Thanks again for the replies, ive come from a rx7 fd3s which was very well set up for trackdays. My rx7 i expect will make even a hardcore 987 feel soft tbh so iam swaying for a 987. This will be a second car and used mainly for fun and trackdays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.