Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I tried the search button already but I'm confused here. I want to lower my car because I really think that stock is too high. I really don't know which one to get and what else do I need to do if I lower it. I'm looking for better performance than stock but i've read some that like the springs and some that hates them. My car is a DD and the roads here are not too good. Other than lowering the car I will like to add something else to the car suspension looking for better stability. I will aprreciate your help and any comment.

Thanks,
Ricky

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
We offer suspension packages for these cars as we firmly believe that the suspension should only be upgraded when all of the parts work in unison.

We get a number of cars in that have mismatched parts that actually work more poorly than the way the car comes off of the showroom floor. Please let me know if I can offer you any assistance.

TPC Racing

·
Registered
621 Posts
The perception of ride quality tends to be subjective. Sounds like you want to go on the conservative side. From what I think I know, I would rate the common spring options in order from most conservative as:

-Stock
- PASM springs on non-PASM car (lowers 10 mm), avail sometimes used in classifieds here.
- TechARt or RUF springs - both advertise 25mm lower, but we haven't confirmed spring rates and they won't release rates, and both are pricey and rare.
- Eibach - 30 mm lower (1.2"), progressive. I have these and find they are not that much stiffer than stock. Rates are avail on this site. Low cost, readily available.
- H&R - 30 mm lower. Similar to Eibach, though I think they're more linear and therefore perhaps slightly stiffer in the beginning of damper travel. I've had these on two Boxsters and also thought they were fine. At least one of my Boxsters did sag a bit in the rear over time, causing negative rake. But, these are probably the most popular, are made in Germany, and many people love them.
Installing any of these is a pretty big job (lots of trim to remove in the rear), but the car's handling is significantly improved - on good roads.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I have the TPC Stage 2 suspension on a car with PASM. It performs extremely well day-to-day and, for those who care, does make the car look sleeker and more aggressive. Of course ~22mm lower means one has to be a little more cautious where roads are inconsistent or in poor shape.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hi guys, I tried the search button already but I'm confused here. I want to lower my car because I really think that stock is too high. I really don't know which one to get and what else do I need to do if I lower it. I'm looking for better performance than stock but i've read some that like the springs and some that hates them. My car is a DD and the roads here are not too good. Other than lowering the car I will like to add something else to the car suspension looking for better stability. I will aprreciate your help and any comment.

Thanks,
Ricky
If you're going to tear open the interior anyway, might as well drop in a proper set of coilovers - the ability to fine tune is great. Vivid was running some smoking deals recently.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We offer suspension packages for these cars as we firmly believe that the suspension should only be upgraded when all of the parts work in unison.
TPC Racing
I'll bite. What parts need to work in unison when upgrading your suspension?

I've got an '04 Boxster S, completely stock. However, I plan to upgrade the car fairly extensively, including some engine upgrades (in the future).

For a start, I was hoping to add some coilovers to lower the car (aesthetics) and allow me the ability to adjust the suspension for track / street use as required.

Will simply adding coilovers cause any adverse behaviour?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Depends on which coilovers you choose, and the spring rates that come with them. We like the Bilstein coilovers, but we are never really happy with the rates so we make them really work. We have prepped a number of boxster s' for club racing and old ex grand am cars.

First thing I would recommend for your car is nice swaybars and a good alignment.

A phone conversation/interview is traditionally where we start with suspension upgrades. Let me know what I can do for assistance.

Casey

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I would agree w/Casey Do not buy just springs. These cars come really well sorted out from the factory, you really have to buy a system to improve them. It is not as easy as buying a set of springs and now the car will handle well. It might look good, but watch out what you wish, especially in Puerto Rico.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.