Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, but I've gotten a ton of good information from the folks on this forum, so thank you all! So I bought my CS about a year ago, and I've put about 5K miles on it. Love it, but have a couple of minor things that are bugging me. I've got the beige interior, and there are several places, such as around the rear hatch opening, the B pillars, etc., where the paint has been scratched, leaving the very noticeable black underneath. The paint seems to be awfully soft and easily scratched. Short of removing and replacing or repainting all these pieces, is there any other remedy, such as a touch-up paint, available? I'm not interested in concours, but I don't like the black scratches.
Second, I've installed the Numeric shifter and cables, and it works fine with one niggling exception. When downshifting from 6th, it requires extra effort - like it's "stuck". Downshifting from any of the other gears is fine. Any thoughts here? I messaged Numeric, but got no reply, and it's not a huge deal, so I haven't called them. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There are owners here that matched the paint in home depot if I remember correctly. Applying it in spots will never leave a perfect result but I've seen some good efforts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Polymers are not Porsche's strong hand. I have often wondered whether it's German standards that make that true. I started getting the sticky radio wheels and my car is never outside for any length of time. Luckily they responded to treatments with leather conditioner but to your point they shouldn't have even needed that. The exterior badges also get brittle and break, I think something like Lexan would have lasted much longer.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S, Tiptronic
82 Posts
SEM Color Coat 15323 Palomino is the match. Comes in a spray can. However, it takes a 'plastic activator' to keep it sticking.

Don't feel bad about your interior, mine is the same way. Especially around the engine cover, not helped by the fact that I enjoy removing mine to piddle with the engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Although you may not want to repaint them in entirety, I did do that given the many scratches, marks and general appearance of my own. I used Superior Restoration Products 2553 Sand Beige (I'm assuming you have the Sand Beige interior) along with their Water Based Plastic Primer PP-P. You can spray a small spot of the color on cardboard or other hard surface and then use a small artist brush to dip and dab the paint onto your scratches. It's water based so additional coats to build thickness or even out the color is relatively quick. The color match is excellent but note that sun bleached or dirty areas may not match exactly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although you may not want to repaint them in entirety, I did do that given the many scratches, marks and general appearance of my own. I used Superior Restoration Products 2553 Sand Beige (I'm assuming you have the Sand Beige interior) along with their Water Based Plastic Primer PP-P. You can spray a small spot of the color on cardboard or other hard surface and then use a small artist brush to dip and dab the paint onto your scratches. It's water based so additional coats to build thickness or even out the color is relatively quick. The color match is excellent but note that sun bleached or dirty areas may not match exactly.

Yes, it's Sand Beige. Thanks, I'll check into that. For many of the pieces, I'd rather not have to take them out. Color match should not be a huge issue, as my car spent the vast majority of its life in a garage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did you use the centering tool to adjust the cable lengths such that the stick is centered? If you don't get that right then you might get weirdness when the stick is at extremes (like 6th gear).

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Those scratches drive me nuts too!

For larger panels like the centre console or A pillar trim scratches, get it professionally painted as touch ups may be quite visible (depending on your skill level of course). Get them to mix a small amount to keep for you to use on the smaller touch up areas.

Do note that there are several different shades of sand beige in the car - I have no idea why they did this.

you may find this link useful too:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you use the centering tool to adjust the cable lengths such that the stick is centered? If you don't get that right then you might get weirdness when the stick is at extremes (like 6th gear).
There is (was) no centering tool. Instructions and videos showed how to adjust the cables so each gear would be fully engaged. The instructions then said to adjust the cables on the shifter end to place the shift lever where desired, but suggested vertical, which is where I put it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those scratches drive me nuts too!

For larger panels like the centre console or A pillar trim scratches, get it professionally painted as touch ups may be quite visible (depending on your skill level of course). Get them to mix a small amount to keep for you to use on the smaller touch up areas.

Do note that there are several different shades of sand beige in the car - I have no idea why they did this.

you may find this link useful too:
Thanks! I guess I should have searched a bit before asking. Looks like there may be a solution there, although that was a few years ago. Hopefully those numbers will still mean something at HD.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is (was) no centering tool. Instructions and videos showed how to adjust the cables so each gear would be fully engaged. The instructions then said to adjust the cables on the shifter end to place the shift lever where desired, but suggested vertical, which is where I put it.
Yeah, that's probably your problem. The Numeric kit doesn't come with the alignment tool, you have to get it separately. It's the green thing in this video:

It's not absolutely required and you can do the job without it, but you need to know where to position the stick. It sounds like you didn't get yours positioned correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's probably your problem. The Numeric kit doesn't come with the alignment tool, you have to get it separately. It's the green thing in this video:

It's not absolutely required and you can do the job without it, but you need to know where to position the stick. It sounds like you didn't get yours positioned correctly.
Could be, but all the gears work properly, I have no problem engaging any gear. It's just the downshift from 6th. Given that it's a PITA to remove the console, I'll probably just live with it. I don't do a lot of downshifting from 6th anyway! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
oh, also another point may be to renew the gearbox oil.
I have a PDK now but previous rides benefited from this to smoothen manual shifting action.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2007 Cayman S, black with the sand interior and here is the paint code. Take this to Home Depot and they will give you a small jar sample for about $5.00:

Behr,-UL203
384th/134/5/63/133
Order # 697912143052

1 - 14 of 14 Posts