Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my question is this "cayman s 295 hp (mk1) or 320 hp mk2?
Both in manual version.
Do you think that there are many dynamic differences between the two models? Has anyone tested the two models? Is there any comparison on this?

Will not go into the mechanical improvements, I know the Mk2 engine has direct fuel injection, dry sump, less pollution and less fuel consumption etc. .... I mean how the car in general terms, performance, sound, sensations. ... Has the Mk1 to Mk2 at all? Is there much difference between them? I think the best progress dynamically speaking, is the limited slip differential, PDK, do not really like, I prefer the manual version.

More Opinions on this?

Thank you very much.:thanks:

·
Registered
567 Posts
It can be challenging determining between a base and an S or the other distinctions you've noted in your location.

Questions...

* What is the main purpose of the car?

* What is your budget?

* What is your long term vision?

In the end, the decision will need to be yours. I drove both and couldn't resist the S.

- RB.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
+1 for post #2. I had an 08 and went with an 09 CS. I decided I wanted the PDK and liked the improvements to the engine. If it hadn't been for the PDK I would still have the 08 CS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It can be challenging determining between a base and an S or the other distinctions you've noted in your location.

Questions...

* What is the main purpose of the car?

* What is your budget?

* What is your long term vision?

In the end, the decision will need to be yours. I drove both and couldn't resist the S.

- RB.
I am talking at all times to the cayman s version, the 295 hp or 320 hp, the mk1 or mk2 version of the cayman s not the base version.

The question is whether anyone has tested both models in manual version and if there are many dynamic differences between the two models, acceleration, sensation, speed ..... etc. In short, wonder if anyone has driven both and can explain any significant differences between both models.

I have a cayman s the year 2006 (295 hp)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
While I havent tried them both, I hear the MkII has an better overall chassis setup. Not to mention dry sump oiling and the availability of a factory LSD

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I am talking at all times to the cayman s version, the 295 hp or 320 hp, the mk1 or mk2 version of the cayman s not the base version.

The question is whether anyone has tested both models in manual version and if there are many dynamic differences between the two models, acceleration, sensation, speed ..... etc. In short, wonder if anyone has driven both and can explain any significant differences between both models.

I have a cayman s the year 2006 (295 hp)
I just upgraded from 06 to 10 although my 06 was not a stock engine.
Biggest differences are softer clutch and the engine is a lot quieter in the 2010.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think mostly, gen 1 owners will say that there's not much difference and gen 2 owners will say there IS a difference. That said, I drove both extensively before finally deciding on a gen 2 car. It was only towards the end of my search that I ever even tried a gen 2 car. For me, I was immediately struck by how much better the gen 2 car felt better in both the suspension and powerband. While not an OMG! difference, it was significant. I ended up purchasing a gen 2 car within a few weeks of finally driving one.

While the aftermarket seems to have addressed the biggest issues for me (oil starvation, IMS and power steering overheating), I wanted a car that I could effectively track stock and not have to worry about breaking the car. I also felt that I would be less likely to mod the powertrain given the slight power bump.

Best suggestion if you can is to drive both.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Drive both, see what works for you, factor in the money diff and the looks and decide. For me, the looks of the Mk1 Cayman are so much better than the Mk2, that it would really become an issue. The price diff between an older Cayman and a newer model means that IF you like the Mk1 more (in terms of looks) you can add the LSD and modify it to be at least as quick as the Mk2. I put EVOMS' RS350 kit and I am getting a Quaife TBD, so if PDK is not an issue, I don't think I am missing anything. YMMV :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts