Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil was changed in my Cayman in March of 2021. It sat on the dealers lot until I bought it in August of 2021. I have put 5k on it since I bought it Do I need an oil change now or can I wait based on only driving 5k since the last time it was changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always wondered this point. We buy these cars in a large part because of the world-class engine technology and engineering, but we by and large choose to ignore the opinion of these same engineers when it comes to oil change timing. Why is that I wonder?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I always wondered this point. We buy these cars in a large part because of the world-class engine technology and engineering, but we by and large choose to ignore the opinion of these same engineers when it comes to oil change timing. Why is that I wonder?
Because oil is designed to be a colloidal suspension holding particles, the cleaner it is the more it can hold. I think Porsche at every ten thousand miles is nuts. Like I said it's the cheapest insurance ever and if you do it yourself you can change it frequently and it still will cost less than the dealer. My father once said when synthetics first arrived with their high mileage boasts " I'd rather use oil more frequently than run synthetic to 10 grand". Finally, if you have ever seen the internals of any engine with mileage and the "gunk" formation it might influence your opinion. To each their own ways.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,494 Posts
I wouldn’t go over 2k… 3k max on an oil change… the tolerance in the cylinder wall is tight so good oil is paramount… both my cars were drive 800 miles each, been sitting now for 4 months…. Going to change both this month for the annual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because oil is designed to be a colloidal suspension holding particles, the cleaner it is the more it can hold. I think Porsche at every ten thousand miles is nuts. Like I said it's the cheapest insurance ever and if you do it yourself you can change it frequently and it still will cost less than the dealer. My father once said when synthetics first arrived with their high mileage boasts " I'd rather use oil more frequently than run synthetic to 10 grand". Finally, if you have ever seen the internals of any engine with mileage and the "gunk" formation it might influence your opinion. To each their own ways.
I get it....but why 5,000 miles? why not 3,000 or 1,000 or 500? The modern synthetic oils are vastly different than what we remember from our youth. I have a Cayman S and a Macan S and change the oil according to Porsche's schedule. 10,000 miles. The Macan has 75,000 miles on it and we just pulled the engine to replace a cracked timing chain cover screw (a slight oil seep, done under full Porsche warranty) The Porsche technician called me and asked if I wanted to visit the shop and take a look when the engine was out and fully apart, and it was as clean and shiny and beautiful looking as I imagine it was when it was new. It was awesome that the dealer let me on the shop floor to take a detailed look.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The why? for me….because a motor is 20-25k for a rebuild… pure and simple… I had a Toyota motor in my Lotus and once every 2-4K was fine, because the motor cost 2500 for a short block.. and it was a Toyota hahaha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m a 7500-8000 mile guy. Many reports have shown 10k oil can go further, but I figure I won’t push it.

Shawn in VA (USA)
There's a really great website on oil and lubricants (I forget the URL offhand, I'll hunt it up and post it) but I remember reading on there, that a large fleet of taxicabs in England go 60,000 miles between oil changes (using full synthetic) with no statistical engine degradation. That's a bit long for me!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have this really good feeling immediately after pouring brand new fresh oil in any motor. And regardless of how early I change it, what comes out NEVER looks like what I poured in.
So in my mind it's not about how long can I go on the oil, but rather how much less than Brand New is that oil now?
Oil is never better than brand new. Lol

Or put another way, let's say I drained the oil at 3000 miles just out of curiosity to see what it looked, smelt, and felt like. And let's say I sent a sample out and the report back said it had only degraded some percentage and that it could go twice as long or longer. I STILL wouldn't pour that oil back into the motor. For me it isn't how long it can last that matters. I just know it isn't as good as it was.

I'm a sucker for fresh oil. I admit it

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T (On Order)
199 Posts
The oil was changed in my Cayman in March of 2021. It sat on the dealers lot until I bought it in August of 2021. I have put 5k on it since I bought it Do I need an oil change now or can I wait based on only driving 5k since the last time it was changed?
1 year is a really good timeframe to change it. If you want to wait til August and use that as a year, that is fine also. 981 is an NA motor and is a little easier on the oil than the direct injected 4 cyl motors. so waiting to august, 7500 is fine and probably what I would do. If you have a direct injected turbo, motor, I would definitely do it from the March timeframe to count the year. Direct injected motors are harder on oil because fuel can be sprayed on cylinder walls and mix with oil more. Fuel degrades oil. This happens less on NA motors so you can go a little longer. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have this really good feeling immediately after pouring brand new fresh oil in any motor. And regardless of how early I change it, what comes out NEVER looks like what I poured in.
So in my mind it's not about how long can I go on the oil, but rather how much less than Brand New is that oil now?
Oil is never better than brand new. Lol

Or put another way, let's say I drained the oil at 3000 miles just out of curiosity to see what it looked, smelt, and felt like. And let's say I sent a sample out and the report back said it had only degraded some percentage and that it could go twice as long or longer. I STILL wouldn't pour that oil back into the motor. For me it isn't how long it can last that matters. I just know it isn't as good as it was.

I'm a sucker for fresh oil. I admit it
It’s because knowing all those metal particles are in the oil drain 😂

with older mileage motors that have been taken care of or just made it this far without scoring, the tolerance is greater now and scoring now is much less likely

1 - 20 of 50 Posts