Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today is my first day of potentially needing to drive my CS in the snow. Now, it is the UK so only a light smattering, but it is also summer tyres and no road gritting etc.

I've seen other rwd cars struggle lots (had to push an M3 off the road in this last year). Is the CS hopeless in these conditions or does it handle and drive just fine?

Any advice from other UK'ers welcomed...

Rich

·
Registered
120 Posts
Depends on your tyres... I had Michelin PS2 on my previous 987 Cayman R and it was terrible in snow/slush, struggled to get off the drive with small incline...

I have a 981 now and got myself winter wheel/tyre set and drove for the first time in snow a few days ago and no problems what so ever... transformed.. I would recommend getting a winter wheel set.. probably get a set of 2nd hand 987 wheels off ebay and get some winter tyres... The outlay will pay for itself as you're not wearing out your summer tyres when using these wheels and you will probably get a good % of the investment when you sell them on fater you sell on the Cayman.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Summer tires? Get yourself a taxi. Easy to get the car fully out of control and once crashed, you will regret the idea of driving on summer tires (which in my view is true for any car, Germany and Austria prohibit driving a car with summer tires in the snow). On winter tires, the Cay is a lot of fun in the snow
:drivingskid:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wide tyres in the snow is not a good combination... TAXI!!
I remember a few years ago my girlfriend had a Suzuki Vitara with super wide wheels and it was hopeless even though it was 4x4

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get a good set of winter tires and you will enjoy it very much in the snow. I got the dealership 18' winter tire package with the Michelin pilot alpin and they are great. Been driving it in snow for the past month with no issues at all!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tires, tires, tires.
Would you go for a hike in the snow with your leather dress shoes? Of course not! It's the same with tires.

I used to daily drive my E36 M3 year round in Colorado. With a good set of snow tires, I drove rings around the AWD trucks and SUV's shod with all-seasons. The expressions on their faces as they were sliding around while I whisked past them was priceless. I'm sure they expected to find me upside down in a ditch 1/2 mile up the road :)

Until you get good tires, leave the Croc at home.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice, as a result we took something more front wheel drive and docile. I like the ebay wheels and winter tyres idea, thanks! R

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a set of ebay sourced Boxster 17 inch rims on my Cayman S. Note that 17s require spacers on the front in order to clear the brake calipers. I use Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 215 fronts and 245 rears. Similarly to many of the experiences described on here, it's is stunning in the snow and slush. The only trade off is a 'squidgy' feeling in the warmer weather, but even that is quite pleasurable.....these change of wheels gives the car a different personality twice a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts