Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that the Cayman S sway bars are thicker (stiffer) both fore and aft. Does anyone know about this? If so, can the stiffer S bars be installed on a base Cayman? The ride on my Cayman is about as stiff as I want for street use, but the 18" Cayman S tires with the stock sway bars give me a bit more roll than I am happy with. Is this crazy or would an upgrade (if possible) help the handling? I often have a passenger (wifey) and even though the roll in my Cayman is much better than my ex BMW Z4, I am always looking for improvement without harming the overall handling characteristics. I was hoping that someone with a Cayman S who upgraded to some racing sway bars might have keep the old bars around and would be interested in selling them.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I believe the swaybars are the same between the Cayman and Cayman S. If you want to increase roll stiffness the usual approach is the TPC set-up or GT3 front and Tarett or H & R rear bar. The other option is to lower the car with H & R or Eibach springs, both are stiffer then stock. All of these options will compromise "ride".

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cayman sway bar upgrade...

I found out the all the Caymans have 24 mm front and 22 mm rear sway bars. There is no difference in the base and S model sway bar setups. The H&Rs seem to be the best bet as they are a mild step up from stock and will probably give me the best compromise ride/handling. I will proceed based on that assumption. The rear H&Rs have two holes for stiffness adjustment. I'll probably start with the least stiff setting for street use and move them to the full stiffness for DE use, etc. I suspect using both front and rear H&Rs will leave the under/over steer about the same? Any comments?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Re: Cayman sway bar upgrade...

Do a lot of research on sway bars before you buy. Lots of really good info here. Remember swaybars dont make your ride more "stiff" they reduce roll.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The Tarett rear bar has 4 holes for adjustment and on its soft setting is softer then the H & R. Rear bar installation is an easy DIY project, Front bar is considerably more difficult. The "Article" section has a post giving general instructions, I found it a little more difficult then the article described and definitely you want to use a lift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts