Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cayman S v Z06--instrumentation

I will be going to the track this weekend and promise a more complete comparo later, but this past weekend I took the CS out for a long drive and worked it out pretty well. I had a few nits.

I have to say, I really missed the "heads-up display" (HUD) on the Z06. The CS engine is very quiet and very smooth, and it was easy to sneak up on the redline, especially if wind noise was high (windows down, speed up). The tach is located well below my line of sight, and actually seeing it was often needed to anticipate shifts. On the C5Z06, the analog curved tach is projected onto the windhshield directly in one's line of sight and it makes seeing one's RPM much easier. Also, on my 2004, the HUD would show digital speed and one of water temp, oil temp or oil pressure, as you chose. The C6Z06 HUD can be programmed to show even more data, such as lateral Gs and lap times.

Also, the CS has minimal instrumentation, generally. On the Z06 you had on the dash speedo, tach, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, fuel, and amperage. The CS gives speedo, tach, water temp, and fuel. No oil temp and no oil pressure? These are key, especially on the track. One would want to slow down and cool off as soon as the oil temp climbs too high, as well as shut her down completely if the oil pressure starts to wobble or drops too far. By the time an idiot light comes on, it may be too late.

Anyway, the CS is still a blast to drive, but ditching the basically useless sport chrono clock and display and installing a HUD system and a few more gauges (the swap is intended to keep the price the same) would be a helpful change, IMHO.

·
Registered
569 Posts
+1 on the no oil gauges. I'm already trying to figure out a solution that will integrate tastefully into the OEM interior.

I really liked the HUD on my C6Z06 didn't find it as useful as you did. Personally, I prefer an analog gauge.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
for the street the HUD is neat...for the track all i ever used was a Raptor shift light....i,m waiting for the c7 gen to come out...ive been away from z06,s too long

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
We do need to know the oil temp... what do you guys who track the car frequently do in this case?

·
Registered
245 Posts
We do need to know the oil temp... what do you guys who track the car frequently do in this case?
No oil temp gauge, so you will simply not know it. I recently bought a used GT3, and it also has no oil temp gauge. I know and trust the oiling system in the GT3, and I don't worry about it. I had an '08 ZO6. In spite of its better information system, the oiling system failed and the engine was lost. I felt the power loss before I noticed any gauge warning. As with many areas of life these days, an overload of information is not helpful if unknown. Maintain good and fresh oil, drive it and don't worry about it. If you get involved in racing, or sessions much longer than 15-20 minutes, then it might be something to improve.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I would agree with this gripe,....for the price we pay for any Porsche it should have a COMPLETE set of gauges including oil tmp and pressure.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
i asked a porsche mechanic recently about this same issue (lack of instrumentation). he's an ex drag racer so he said he's into gauges.

he said an oil pressure gauge could make sense. he also said that an oil temp gauge doesn't. he said the oil temp is monitored by the car's ECU and it would shut down the engine if oil temps are getting unacceptably high.

so if this is correct you can just (oil temp wise) forget about monitoring it yourself - there's a little cpu doing it for you, and it will take corrective action while you can keep your eyes on the road, err, track!

-aw1.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
i asked a porsche mechanic recently about this same issue (lack of instrumentation). he's an ex drag racer so he said he's into gauges.

he said an oil pressure gauge could make sense. he also said that an oil temp gauge doesn't. he said the oil temp is monitored by the car's ECU and it would shut down the engine if oil temps are getting unacceptably high.

so if this is correct you can just (oil temp wise) forget about monitoring it yourself - there's a little cpu doing it for you, and it will take corrective action while you can keep your eyes on the road, err, track!

-aw1.
Sometimes I like little CPUs watching things,....sometimes I like to leave it up to the giant CPU in my head.

I appreciate the fact a shutdown of the engine will happen if oil temp gets too high,....but how will it do it? Do you get a warning before hand?....or does it just shutdown and give you some sort of cryptic error message.

If Porsche went to the trouble of monitoring engine oil temp, why can't they show it on a gauge?,.....probably one that would cost $100 to add?

Sorry, I think Porsche cheaped out on this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

-aw1.
I would disagree with the mechanic on this.

Depending on the spec oil you are running, one temp may be fine, but the same temp may not be fine with a different oil. Also, and more importantly, when I track my car, the level of risk and the amount of wear I choose to endure may be less than someone else's, and perhaps less than Porsche chose with its light.

For example, at the track in my Z06 I would typically short shift to save the engine (I was not racing and most of the time [though not always], I left myself and extra 500-1000 RPM headroom) and if I got to 275 oil temp, I slowed down. Others would run to 290. (Of course, when I installed my heavy duty radiator/oil cooler, I no longer had temp issues for water or oil).

I just like to know what is going on.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts

-aw1.
AFAIK, there is no such shut-down mechanism on a Porsche motor, unless they've just added it - if you want to run you motor's oil to 300 (and suffer the consequences) then you can.

brad

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
There needn't be a shutdown mechanism or a gauge. All that needs to be in place is a fail-safe pressure and temperature switch with a suitably low threshold to allow a light/buzzer to illuminate, such that the big CPU will have adequate time to make the correct financial decision.

I don't worry about the absence of the those gauges at all.
And when we do have gauges, we seem to inherently trust their accuracy ... that seems pretty silly - unless you have had them calibrated, and maintain that level of accuracy.

How many people even know the temperature that water boils at? Alot fewer of them than you think.

When the oil light comes on in an vintage VW Type 1, it means that you are out of oil/pressure and maybe oil altogether.

But this ain't that. And this isn't a chevy. I'll go out on a limb and guess that if we held both a Cayman engine and the Z06 engine at redline until they each decided to quit, my bet is the chevy would be the first to cry uncle.

I mean no disrespect to any past, present or future chevy owners. I just believe that Porsche builds a better engineered vehicle for day-to-day use and abuse - race or otherwise.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
yea...those junk chevys....5 years/100000 mile .....what does po offer ? ninja please

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
There needn't be a shutdown mechanism or a gauge. All that needs to be in place is a fail-safe pressure and temperature switch with a suitably low threshold to allow a light/buzzer to illuminate, such that the big CPU will have adequate time to make the correct financial decision.

I don't worry about the absence of the those gauges at all.
And when we do have gauges, we seem to inherently trust their accuracy ... that seems pretty silly - unless you have had them calibrated, and maintain that level of accuracy.

How many people even know the temperature that water boils at? Alot fewer of them than you think.

But this ain't that. And this isn't a chevy. I'll go out on a limb and guess that if we held both a Cayman engine and the Z06 engine at redline until they each decided to quit, my bet is the chevy would be the first to cry uncle.

I mean no disrespect to any past, present or future chevy owners. I just believe that Porsche builds a better engineered vehicle for day-to-day use and abuse - race or otherwise.
I'm not sure where to start! :)

1. You come off as the ultimate Porsche apologist. We don't need no steenking gauges!

2. These days gauges can be extremely accurate, because they're not mechanical, they are the analog representation of digital signals driven by solid state sensors that are pretty damned accurate. No calibration necessary. Ever. Replace the sensor when it breaks.

3. It doesn't matter what the boiling point of water is. The boiling point of 50/50 water & ethylene glycol in a pressurized system is what counts, and I need a gauge to tell me what the system is doing, because I said so.

4. As for the Z06 engine, what the heck does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to argue that GM put in good gauges because they thought the engine was less reliable, and Porsche left them off because they thought the engine was more reliable? That's really funny! :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Haha

I guess what I was saying is that if you are willing to let a multi-million dollar aircraft land that you are riding in, in nasty weather, all by computer software/hardware, with no help from the "pilot", then the days of humans having to look at an oil gauge to see what temperature it is is a little silly. At least that is my opinion.

I'm operating under the premise that form follows function - meaning that Porsche didn't leave the gauges out because they forgot them. Rather, they left them out because they would otherwise be over budget. Uh, no, it's because the computers are more precise than "the analog representation of digital signals driven by solid state sensors".

Change is difficult, though most of us have survived the trek from caymanclub to planet9.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Haha

I guess what I was saying is that if you are willing to let a multi-million dollar aircraft land that you are riding in, in nasty weather, all by computer software/hardware, with no help from the "pilot", then the days of humans having to look at an oil gauge to see what temperature it is is a little silly. At least that is my opinion.
I guess by this reasoning air speed, altimeter, and other gauges should go by the way side or should just say "high enough" and "fast enough"

I'm operating under the premise that form follows function - meaning that Porsche didn't leave the gauges out because they forgot them. Rather, they left them out because they would otherwise be over budget. Uh, no, it's because the computers are more precise than "the analog representation of digital signals driven by solid state sensors".

Change is difficult, though most of us have survived the trek from caymanclub to planet9.
The fact is Porsche cars are very much for the auto "enthusiast", and while I appreciate the effort(s) Porsche does in the computer world to watch over them, I still pay a pretty penny for one and want some of my "silly" requests such as an oil temp/pressure gauge to be granted,.....no matter if Porsche thinks they have the issue covered or not.

My 928 GT has an oil pressure gauge. With it I can tell exactly when the oil has warmed and the engine is fully up to temp,.....with 9 quarts of oil it sometimes takes 15 min or so, while the coolant temp has reached its normal level in 5 min.

I like to know exactly what my engine is doing all the time, and given it's a Porsche and not a mini-van they should oblige me. Give me an option if the rest don't want to pay for it......

"Proper Extended Gauge Package" $200,....I'm sure it would be much more though.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
Haha

I know a few pilots that say the oil pressure and temp guages are at the top of the list of importance when flying. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have them even if it is just for the sake of having them....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts