Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
34,427 Posts
After watching what I gather from this video is that technically either the 370Z or the 911 PDK could turn a faster lap than the Cayman S did, but that much of those lap times came down to driver skill differences and neither the Cayman nor the 370Z drivers seemed to be heel-toeing at all and there were at least 2 instances I saw where the Cayman driver went hot into a corner and over corrected and upset the balance of the car. I can also imagine that in those tight corners the Cayman's PSM had to be kicking in and preventing heavy throttle use, whereas the 370 and 911 both had limited slips to help them out. Am I happy the Cayman won? Sure, makes for good press, but I wouldn't really put this up there as a "fair" comparison or that the results would be the same if the starting order was different, still though, a very respectible showing which we've all come to expect from the Cayman anyway... :)

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
LOL.. It was a completely staged race. No way The Cayman S has the ability to get that far out front and then just loose it all, and thus setup the BIG FINAL LAP?!!
:banana:

But if a car ( any of the final 3) won the race by more than 10 or 15 seconds, it would be a visual video failure without any real viewer appeal. Who would ever watch it?

The video producers probably thought that if the cars finished in their true correct race order, a dramatic video finish could be staged and yet still preserve a reasonable amount of motorsport credibility. Anyone who thinks that DRAMATIC 3 car finish was created by just good luck, the natural selection of these cars and by good honest racing, will probably believe anything.

Unfortunately this is the state of most modern entertainment journalism. I think these video producers are following the lead from UK's TOP GEAR series, where the tantalizing illusion of true informative journalism is presented in a fun entrainment package. But anytime the truth gets in the way of a fun entertainment story, truth is then minimalized or even dismissed. But hey! I greatly enjoy most of the TOP GEAR series,.. and I also enjoyed watching this silly contrived race!

·
Registered
408 Posts
After watching what I gather from this video is that technically either the 370Z or the 911 PDK could turn a faster lap than the Cayman S did, but that much of those lap times came down to driver skill differences and neither the Cayman nor the 370Z drivers seemed to be heel-toeing at all and ...
First, the 370z although more powerful, is also 300 pounds heavier. So I think the Z and the CS would be a draw at best, as far as acceleration and handling.

The 911 was not being driven hard at all, and could have easily out accelerated either car. It also had base 235/265 tires... which didn't help it.

The 370Z does not need heel-toe... it has a new rev-matching feature to the manual tranny where it blips the throttle.

·
Administrator
34,427 Posts
Bodhii come on the next thing you'll be saying is that Nissan staged its GTR Nurburgring times... ;)

Watch the video again, the Cayman put distance on the 370z and 911 while those cars were hung up behind the BMW and S2000. Once they got clear of traffic looked to me as if they were making up time each lap, about 1 second, which over 5-6 laps ends up being a good chunk of distance.

Oh yeah I forgot about the rev-matching on the 370z... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Ken, the actual math probability that there would be an honest race finish with differences of less than 3 seconds between any 2 of ONLY FIVE different HP and different manufactured cars, is astronomical. But a race with differences greater than 2 or 3 seconds, would have resulted in a video without any excitement or commercial value.

The mathematical probability that you would have THREE of these 5 different model cars, each with different HP, all finishing this race within a 2 sec span, is utterly ridiculous.

You think this was just a lucky "coincidence" for the PROFESSIONAL video producers?

LOL. Look at the MATHEMATICAL probabilities!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 911 had the best time and did look like it was being held up, but I agree with K-man none of those drivers looked that good. One guy went through like 3 turns with only one hand on the wheel.

The commentary had to be the best part. I think they were saying German horses are so much bigger than Japanese horses. The 370Z can claim 332hp all day and it does not mean anything if it is just a peak. The torque is 270 @ 5200 and since the curves cross @ 5250 you only have 270 hp @ 5250 that rises to 332 at 7000rpm with a redline of 7500rpm. So in turn you have 2000 rpm of usable power. Obviously I am not a fan of a motor that is that dependent on RPM as most of the Japanese cars are.

I will just stick with the CS.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The 911 was not being driven hard at all, and could have easily out accelerated either car. It also had base 235/265 tires... which didn't help it.
Definately see this in the big move on the final lap where he attempts to pass the 370 but backs off, also there aren't a lot of lengthy straights on this course.

Staged or not, looking at the layout of Tsukuba it would appear a mid engined car would have the advantage.... but wait isn't that true for all tracks ;)

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Yeah but what is the mathematical probability of me starting a Cayman based website on the 3rd planet around our sun exactly when I did? ;)
If you took an infinite amount of monkeys and they started an infinite amount of websites, eventually one of them would start a Cayman site. But all of the smilies would have bananas.

:banana::banana::banana:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! Newbie here, but I'm soaking up Cayman stuff, stumbled across this decade-old thread, and wanted to chime in on a few things:

-The driver of the Cayman is Mr. Keiichi Tsuchiya, the Drift King himself and a legend in the (Japanese) import world. He's a very capable driver and with a very long career in racing, including the JGTC series. In the show in the video (Best Motoring), you can always count on him to be one of the more aggressive drivers of the bunch. He's heel-and-toe'ing the entire time, so I'm not sure where you're seeing, K-man, ha. I've watched Best Motoring for years, and the man heel/toe's the piss out of everything he drives. If you happen to really like this show, you can check out "Hot Version" also hosted by the Drift King. He and his racer and drifter friends put modified cars toe to toe on mountain passes, etc.

-The 911 here is more of a camera car. When the driver is in 3rd place, he's basically providing commentary on the Cayman and Z. He mentions the Cayman starting to understeer towards the end there while his exhibits none. This "ringer as a commentary car" is pretty standard practice on this show.

-A couple seconds gap is a huge margin on this track. A 1:00 lap is the "all out, race-prepped car" mark. Here you go: https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/tsukuba

-However, I will agree that the Cayman seemed to slow waay down to make the race more interesting. I also don't get why the Cayman did a 1:06 during the race and a 1:08 during time attack...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts