Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go to a Carmax to help my wife purchase a car and got a chance to drive a 2007 Carrera S. I couldn't believe I actually preferred my Cayman S to the Carrera, which didn't seem to be as manueverable or to accelerate as fast. It was funny that as I walked back to my Cayman after concluding my business, I knew I'd bought the right car...:) Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Have not driven a 911, however be very interested to know how it would leave me feeling. Should I have kids, a 991 would be next on the list, however should I not be wowed, what then?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Drove a bunch before deciding on the Cayman S.... a Carrera 4S, and a base Carrera... neither handled anywhere near as close to the croc. Have had PCA instructors with way more hp in their various 911s drive mine for a few laps and they all say the same thing. Unless you're drag racing, the Cayman is a better design... not just my opinion... many agree...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have driven a 991S and I prefer my Boxster S. The 991 is a great car, but drive feels less connected. The only thing I would trade my Boxster for is a 981.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had to go to a Carmax to help my wife purchase a car and got a chance to drive a 2007 Carrera S. I couldn't believe I actually preferred my Cayman S to the Carrera, which didn't seem to be as manueverable or to accelerate as fast. It was funny that as I walked back to my Cayman after concluding my business, I knew I'd bought the right car...:) Anyone else feel this way?
I had the opposite feeling after driving the 991s during the Porsche Roadshow (except that I still felt like I bought the right car when I left)...YMMV. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I test drove an 08 Carrera and 09 (new at the time) Carrera and the Cayman S I bought all over a 2 hour window on precisely the same route of highway and twisties. I liked the 08 Cayman S hands down. My wife did as well as she test drove back to back with me. She is no slouch in her opinions having driven my 2000 C5 Corvette, having owned as a DD a 2000 S4, a 2003 M3 and a 2004 Mini S. Last year, I test drove a 2007 TT with 3,000 miles with the intention of trading it. I came back and stayed with my 08 CS. I finally did trade the 08 CS in March on a 2012 CR........

·
Registered
53 Posts
Engine's in the wrong place for me. I had a heavily modded 06 cayman s and then sold it a while back. Earlier this year I wanted to get back into a cayman again, so I went to the dealer and drove a 997 911 CS, the 991 and a 996 turbo. The CS rear end started coming around on me unexpectedly at like 40 through a turn, scared the **** out of me but corrected accordingly. Drove the other two; 991 was really fast but thats all it did for me. 996 turbo wasn't great, I think the dealer just wanted to go for a ride..:confused:

I hop in some piece of **** used cayman s on the lot that was seriously beat down, took it out to the same backroads and instantly felt the same confidence I had with my previous cayman. My face hurt after I came back in, it had been a while since a car had given me that big of a smile.

This is my third mid engine car, so I am a bit biased towards the design. Cayman S, Lotus Exige S240, Cayman S.

Morgan

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
987.1S and 997.1S are very similar in performance with the 997 have the advantage on a launch. On Gen 2 cars the gap increases though and the 997.2 is rather quick, having said that a modified 987.1S is still a challange ;)

Was looking at my CS alongside a friends 997.2 Targa 4S while we were doing a mini photoshoot and from the rear the cars look so very different and you can see the true compactness of the Cayman and how it fits the sports car ideal that much better than the 911.

Handling and looks are what win for me, but I don't mind driving a 911 when I get the chance either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 911 is still considered a Grand Tourer with its 2+2 so it is a bit bigger, plusher, isn't a sports car so much as a performance car.

I heard a great distinction between the 2 that puts the cayman in a better light.

A sports car is light, nimble, small and very visceral to drive. Its not supposed to be an axe murderer on the ragged edge with more power than it can handle or going after absolute fastest lap times. Its there to make the driver happy, give him confidence to push it while being responsive and well balanced enough to keep it fun.

A performance car is made to push the pace. Its supposed to have plenty of power to the point where its not as "fun" as it is impressive to drive. Its chasing lap times and 0-60 times and in general trying to be as fast as possible. The 911 falls more in to this category than it does a true light sports car anymore and there is nothing wrong with that, its just a different style of car.

I will say that while the cayman is a superior design (mid vs rear) and could use more power, i don't think the car would be as much fun if it had it. Once we had so much power that we're breaking the tires loose everywhere and getting gobs of over steer the car would be much more of a chore to drive and require more attention than it does now where it makes you feel like a super hero.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hello All;

I've had/drove A LOT of "medium-end" sports cars (not high-end Lambos/Masers/Ferraris) and other-than the Lotus Europa (which I would have married back in those days - I was SUCH IN LUST with that vehicle) or the original Esprite (James Bond version) I love the feel of the Cayman.

When it comes to speed, you can buy any PIECE OF JUNK that will let you get a ticket that will VOID your driver license.

BUT!

When it comes to a (reasonably-priced) vehicle that will allow you to switch lanes on the freeway, at 75 MPH - so that if the guy behind you BLINKS, he will be SHOCKED thinking: "that car was IN FRONT of me - and now it's in the lane NEXT to me!" - Whut happened?

And THAT'S what makes the Cayman so magical!

regards,
tony.podrasky

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
i have had 3 boxsters,3 911s and a cayman..i just traded in my 2011 boxster s for a 2007 911 S..
I have loved all of my Porsches,but must say the 911 is really great.I do miss the nimble feeling of the Cayman and Boxster but I love the 911.The rear seats are very usable.I also love the power of the 3.8...
I wish I could afford one of each

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I test drove an 07 997.1S while I had an 09 Cayman S. I decided the Cayman was more fun to drive. Then I tried an 09 997.2S and that one convinced me to switch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This looks like the right thread to post at...so am I nuts?? I'm looking at trading my '06CS for a 2005 911S with 20K miles (actually doesn't have to be '05 but that's what I found). I've had the CS since it was new and love it...have over 50K miles on it now and feels better than ever. But just did a 1,000 mi. road trip with the wife and it was tight...no place for a cooler or stuff, without stopping. From reading this thread I don't think I would be happy about the change. Other than the rear seats, the only other feature I would want are adaptive sport seats, which the 911 had.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
From reading this thread I don't think I would be happy about the change. Other than the rear seats, the only other feature I would want are adaptive sport seats, which the 911 had.
They are similar but different and for a car that you can drive hard all the time everywhere, safely, then you can't match the Cayman.

I would not even entertain a Gen 1 997S personally as with a few mods the 987.1 CS is equally, if not slightly more, quick and with better handling. 997.2S is a good bit quicker than a modded CS and the power is very nice, but other than that it only has a little more space, but again you need real commitment to drive it at its limit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts