Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this may seem like stupid cross-shopping, but these really are the two cars I have narrowed it down to. After looking at 997s (including GT3) considering used F cars (360) , even audi RS4.... the Cayman S just really lit a spark under me on the test drive and I formerly owned an Evo 8 that was simply the most exciting and fun (and comfortable) car I have ever driven.

So, I guess its between a Cayman S or Evo X MR for me (buying around AUG 1)

I want to know if anybody here has driven both cars and how they compare? I am not interested in the "cheap interior, ugly styling" arguments about the Evo... I already KNOW that, and its a non-issue for me. If I wanted snob-appeal, I would be buying a 997 use the used F car.

I am interesed in performance / handling comparison. how do they FEEL on a twisty road or a track? Does one do certain things better than the other ?

(i/e, I noticed I don't like the seating position / ergonimics in the Evo X as much as the Evo 8... the armrests / sill height are odd and not at all comfortable or useful, not an issue on the track, but in normal driving it would suck... the Cayman was much more comfortable to sit in)

I will be using the car as a commuter car (which involves a 20mile drive on a nice foothill road, no freeway or traffic) and as a beginner track car to start learning to drive (never been ona track)

I owned and Evo 8 for 3 years, and ugly styling aside, it was a phenominal car. Loved it. I have test driven a Cayman S, and LOVED it. I currently drive a Mini Cooper S. Previously owned a 944S2 Cab , 914, and a bunch of pedestrian family cars.

I have two other cars that hold my family, so I don't need 4 doors or a backseeat....

So, any of you with experience with both EVO X and CAYMAN S, please share your thoughts....

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Mass appeal and every teenagers dream = Evo X
Unique now and unique tens years from now = Cayman S

I know this is not the justification you want, but when it comes to performance, test drive both and decide for yourself. It sounds to me like you like the Evo 8 better than the Evo X so why not change up for a while and drive a Cayman?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds to me like you like the Evo 8 better than the Evo X so why not change up for a while and drive a Cayman?
exactly how I am leaning... you nailed it. They cayman FELT RIGHT and nice change for me.... I am getting older now, and a slightly nicer car maybe feels better. I feel like the change would be great.

But my heart is saying "man that old Evo was so much fun, just get another".

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
The EVO X isn't the same as the 8 though and several people who have driven them have reported a different "feel" to the X although most say it is faster than the 8 it just doesn't "feel" that way. How a car feels makes a big difference to many people, for example the Z4 M Coupe "sounds" fast but doesn't "feel" fast to me, whereas the opposite is more true of the Cayman as I can feel it carving up the corners, carrying lots of speed in places most would fear to tread and being a complete all around sports car. If the EVO X doesn't feel that way to you then I would concur, try the Cayman and see how you like it, sounds like you've gone through a lot of cars in the past so perhaps whatever you buy won't be around for a long time in your garage anyway in which case trying something new or different might at least be enjoyable and perhaps more rewarding than you anticipate.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I would say that if you drive both you will know INSTANTLY so just get out there and do it. For me, the Evo X interior is so inferior that it would never be an option. Maybe if I wanted to spend 20 grand on mods, I would buy an Evo and get it into a state that I'd like.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
exactly how I am leaning... you nailed it. They cayman FELT RIGHT and nice change for me.... I am getting older now, and a slightly nicer car maybe feels better. I feel like the change would be great.

But my heart is saying "man that old Evo was so much fun, just get another".
I would get the Porsche simply because you have already had an Evo. Life is short. Enjoy. :)

·
935 Posts
DirtyE - your first post in this thread is biased toward the Cayman purchase - listen to yourself. (i.e. get one, sign up for PCA, and get thee to an AX pronto!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DirtyE - your first post in this thread is biased toward the Cayman purchase - listen to yourself. (i.e. get one, sign up for PCA, and get thee to an AX pronto!)

will do. you are right.

I wonder if I am too fat for sport seats.. guess I need to swing by the dealer tonight on the way home and give them a sit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would buy the Cayman S. The Evo X is hell to drive in traffic; not to mention it gets the gas mileage of a Ferrari when you put the pedal down.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You won't get the feel and feedback of the Cayman in the Evo X.

Funny enough, I'm thinking of having both. When my GTI's warranty is up, I'm either going to pick up an 06/07 Sti or an Evo X for my next daily/winter driver.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, the Evo is a sedan, so it offers those obvious features that are absent in the Cayman. If you want the room, seats, trunk, etc. of the sedan, then it seems this discussion is moot. And, that's also the case if you want the handling feel of mid-engine sports car, so, what's the point? And, since you mentioned the GT3 as a consideration, I assume you can afford it, so why look any further? I would prefer it by a large margin over your other choices. I have a Cayman S, and it's a great car that I enjoy driving, but, it's severely underpowered. I don't do much track stuff these days, so I'm enjoying it very much as a street car. It's a personal decision, so don't let others make it for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you plan to track it, which manufacturer do you think will stand behind you with warranty issues? I know Porsche litterly pushes you to get your car to the Driver Events etc (not races but just learning) and they stand behind their cars. How much of a factor is this to you?

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Having driven up from an Lancer Evo,Evo2, Evo3, Evo4,Evo5, Evo6, Evo7 Evo8 Evo9 & Evo10 plus all the Subaru's up to WRC, .I can say I Love the Mitsi......but as a rally car, not as a daily driver. I've always found them "too harsh" to use every day. The other side is the Cayman...a joy always.
Suppose it’s.....
Fast, harsh turbo sedan or "A True Sports Car"…Take your pick, I know which car I like best..!!!!:)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ooh, lemme answer this one!!!

Recently one of my buddies got an Evo X, and in typical Alex McNabb style I talked my way into driving it. I'll be completely honest, I have never been more disappointed in a car. It didn't compare at all to my other buddy's 2006 WRX Sti. (IMO the better choice hands down) So where to begin with the Evo X? Let's start with the chassis, which is also home to the Dodge Caliber platform. (Albeit heavily modified) The car itself is physically huge, and weighs in around 3,500 lbs. Unless you're planning to haul around 3 people with you at all times, (It does very comfortably hold back seat passengers) I'd discount the massive interior room.

The driving experience is what really breaks this car, ESPECIALLY in comparison to a European midengine sports car. First off, the good. The brakes are Brembos, they perform flawlessly, and the shifter is smooth. That's all of the good. The engine could simply not be any worse. After a surprising level of bottom end power and acceleration, the motor just falls flat on its face (Tiny little turbo) and quits pulling. It literally feels out of guts at around 5K. Yes, we did a little, um, "speed comparison", and in the first two gears, the Evo sorta almost keeps up, and then the Cayman S puts tractor trailor lengths on it 3rd gear. The Cayman is SIGNIFICANTLY faster. Then there's the numb, unresponsive steering of the Evo, the crazy body roll, the high clutch, and the general floppiness of the handling. Yes, the Evo X does have a very advanced AWD system and you can feel it working. However, Mitsu seems to have used this as an excuse not to properly develop the rest of the suspension.

Finally, I've had my reservations about owning a Porsche because of reliability issues, but these pale in comparison to how I'd feel if I owned an Evo. I used to have Mitsus when I didn't know any better, and I'm quite familiar with how horrible those cars were. Right now Evo owners are experiencing a lot of clutch issues. In my own personal opinion from driving an Evo X hard, it's a one trick pony, just a rolling gimmick. I would NEVER buy one, and I want some of what you're smoking if you'd actually consider an Evo X over the vastly superior Cayman S. If you were looking into WRX Stis, it would be a different matter. ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
ok, this may seem like stupid cross-shopping, but these really are the two cars I have narrowed it down to. After looking at 997s (including GT3) considering used F cars (360) , even audi RS4.... the Cayman S just really lit a spark under me on the test drive and I formerly owned an Evo 8 that was simply the most exciting and fun (and comfortable) car I have ever driven.

So, I guess its between a Cayman S or Evo X MR for me (buying around AUG 1)

I want to know if anybody here has driven both cars and how they compare? I am not interested in the "cheap interior, ugly styling" arguments about the Evo... I already KNOW that, and its a non-issue for me. If I wanted snob-appeal, I would be buying a 997 use the used F car.

I am interesed in performance / handling comparison. how do they FEEL on a twisty road or a track? Does one do certain things better than the other ?

(i/e, I noticed I don't like the seating position / ergonimics in the Evo X as much as the Evo 8... the armrests / sill height are odd and not at all comfortable or useful, not an issue on the track, but in normal driving it would suck... the Cayman was much more comfortable to sit in)

I will be using the car as a commuter car (which involves a 20mile drive on a nice foothill road, no freeway or traffic) and as a beginner track car to start learning to drive (never been ona track)

I owned and Evo 8 for 3 years, and ugly styling aside, it was a phenominal car. Loved it. I have test driven a Cayman S, and LOVED it. I currently drive a Mini Cooper S. Previously owned a 944S2 Cab , 914, and a bunch of pedestrian family cars.

I have two other cars that hold my family, so I don't need 4 doors or a backseeat....

So, any of you with experience with both EVO X and CAYMAN S, please share your thoughts....

thanks
I also drive a cooper s ( 2007 ) You know how much fun they are to drive. IMO I would say the Porsche. I am ordering my CS in June and keeping the cooper as well. I have taken many test drives with the Porsche and it is a blast to drive. I too am getting older. My friends tell me get the Porsche now while you can still get in and out of it without any problem. Funny but could be the truth. Who knows??? Anyway my vote is the Porsche for sure.

·
Registered
490 Posts
View attachment 8999

View attachment 9000 I sold a Mazdaspeed 6 for the Cayman (Base). Although the MS6 was a couple steps down than the Evo or STI, it was still the same idea: AWD, LSD rear diff, 274hp, 280tq, 6-speed, amazing brakes, impressive boost! Could carry 5 adults in comfort as well, and could beat most cars off the line. A great example of a sleeper, especially with the scoop under the hood. Great lookin' car, but most didn't recognize the subtle differences from regular 6's.

for 27 months I enjoyed it but never really felt that connected to it. It's faster than the base Cayman (at least for a bit per Car and Driver), but lacked the refinement, engine tone, and no doubt handling. I test drove a base and S about 6 mths before buying the Porsche just to "see" what it was like. I quickly discounted the base as slow, and the S as overpriced. Course, I ended up selling and buying the base (could have gotten an S but was happy with the base). The better handling, better MPG's, and the feeling of being in a rock solid, over-engineered sports car, vs a rally-like fast street car made the decision simple. I also hated the fact that I only used the rear seats about 15 times in total.

I drive 60 miles a day, the Cayman is my daily driver on mostly concrete freeways. The ride with 18's is better than the ride in the MS6 (also 18's). I imagine the Evo will be even harsher than the MS6. I can say I never thought I'd enjoy hearing the engine as much as I do. And being able to wind it out to the redline is nice, since the MS6 cut boost 500 before redline.

Good luck with the decision. Those EVO's are nice. My wife calls them shopping carts because of the huge wings.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Cayman S vs. Evo X

hey there Mr. Dirty Evo!

well, now this an interesting question. If you were primarily interested in
horsepower, you probably would not be asking this question. Still, you
can get way, way more horses out of the Evo, for far, far fewer dollars.

And the suspension can be upgraded substantially as well.

And there is a far more extensive, active independent support base for modifications and suspension, as well.

You don't mention, but I presume that you thrive on steering feel and precision.
For a sedan, the evo is greater there (STI - I put 90000 miles on one), not
quite so much, other sedans generally less.

So, the cayman will cost much more to get big horsepower, has fewer
aftermarket options and tuners, and the 10 year old in your neighborhood
won't tell you "you're my hero" as quickly.

So why bother? Absolutely fabulous driving. And more to be added if you
want.

Sport seats too narrow - go for the adaptive sport seats.

The cayman is a DRIVER'S car.

mike

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Re: Cayman S vs. Evo X

I do like your question, I was just telling some friends of mine that someday I may buy an Evo, but replace a Porsche with it, no way! And that has NOTHING to do with snob factor or anything, its just that... its, great :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Buy both! You can thank me latter!;)
+1

You actually should have kept the EVO 8 and get the CS :D
(i'm keeping my WRX and getting a CS)

But if it were me and i have to choose only one i would get the CS :banana:
(what am i saying.... i never drove an EVO or a CS :hilarious:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts