Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
(i'm keeping my WRX and getting a CS)

(what am i saying.... i never drove an EVO or a CS :hilarious:)
You'll only realise how compromised your Subaru is when you get a CS. I thought my 05' STi was the pinnacle of engineering design until I discovered the CS could do everything the STi could (everything except loose gravel), better, faster, with much more comfort, much less drama, and infinitely less aggro from other drivers who want to race you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok.

So here we go :)..
I know this is an older post however was the only one I found comparing the cars directly..
Price was almost the same.. especially considering that cayman is euro5 so no need to pay some environmental tax.. (evo tax is 1500 euro in Romania)

So .. I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago..
After spending a a few days in Germany ended up testing both cars...

But to start with the beginning... I was focused on Evo X and Cayman as being driver cars..

I don't like the "Porsche brand" because of who drivers one.. Evo X more cool - no stigma associated with the brand ..

I really wanted to see how they "feel" - do I get that - yeaahhh .. this is a proper sports car .. feel ..
Not acceleration or numbers .. wanted to see which I liked..

So lets start with Cayman - base 265hp no diff on the test one.. black ..
I am 6.2 and 200 pounds and I do fit well with some spare head room - got myself comfortable..
The car looks amazing especially with the back led lights contrasting with a dark color.. Interios nice quality.. Smooth stickshift.. Direct feel of steering wheel ..

Did not push the car over 5k however I noticed a few things..
First - as soon as you hot corners the car becomes more "alive" - telling you he likes it .. I have a sensation that harder you push more rewarding it becomes .. The whole experience of driving it it is just .. so much fun .. much more fun than my previous mazda rx8 (even if on handling would be considered a good car it is not in the same league - cayman even in base model with 17 inch wheels is a proper sports car - not a "sporty" whatever).
I did a test - 70km in 5th at 2000 rpm and floor it - the car pushed nicely - you could feel the torque from the very beginning and then over 3000 etc started to be even better :) .. The main idea here is that the car responds to you .. no sluggishness .. nice pull from low rpm..

tested the brakes - abs entered early - maybe because of the standard 17 inch tires i would guess.. brake pedal is harsh compared with maxda rx8 - proper sport brakes.. nice..

and the best ... the engine sound .. even at low rpm you hear a proper sports car sound - you know this is sports car - even with base exhaust .. I like it..

Seats are very ok - confy and supportive - better than in mazda rx8 which are recaros.. and these are standard seats... i like the alcantara better than leather actually..

So overall - yeah - really good car - changed my opinion of porsche .. there might be people buying cayenne or carrera or whatever because in their opinion porsches are "luxury cars" - however I can tell you i would not change a base cayman with any other car except ferrari and lotus .. and lamborghini , and whatever..

A base cayman is a bargain!!!!!! especially if buying slightly used - back to this later...

So I was almost decided to go with the cayman however i did not drove the evo X yet .. so ..

back in my rental, drove 300 km one way and back to test the one of the few stickshift evo X cars in germany - really..

A friend of mine called the dealer before to let him know that i am considering cayman versus evo x and if he can convince me into buying the evo - this would also include a good price ..

O I arrived at the dealer, sit in the car... Nice car from outside, huge brembo brakes.. you know it..

Seats are ok - higher part a little uncomfortable - probably good for cornering however would prefer the cayman seats. overall good seats though..

steering wheel nice .. a little thicker than caymans.. probably nicer..

gearshift - a little worse than caymans which was super smooth..

however the worst part of the interior are the cheap plastics..

when i closed the door i heard a broken glass type of noise - really much worse than a golf or focus..

then i toughed the buttons and instead of rotating i just moved them side to side a little - gently - they sounded like they had little mouses trapped inside - really loud ..

the dealer took over the car to go and put some gas so i jumped into the passengers seat .. around 10 cm ground difference was cleared by the evo x without problem - the car seems high enough for everyday use even on bad roads etc - i had no problem with the rx8 either in Romania.

so the good news - incredible in corners - the dealer pushed the car a little harder in a corner -the car was perfectly stable - no sign of over or understeer at incredible high speeds.. I would suspect the cayman can get close here however in real world the evo would have an advantage ..

Coming back from the gas station I drove and first..
I really did not like the exhaust/engine noise - way to quit .. you could barely hear the engine.. its like a family car..

Even when turbo kicks in there is some noise however I did not get the sports type noise..

suspension a little harsher than the cayman - however my feeling with cayman was that it was really tight stable chassis.. probably better than evo's - just my feeling have no scientific data i might be wrong...

Did a brake test from 60km or so.. smash the brakes and .. best brakes i ever experienced.. abs did not even kicked in (like in cayman) .. the car just stopped with an incredible deceleration .. i joked that it was a formula 1 car on slicks..
So better brakes than cayman with 17 inch..
however .. cayman s with 18 inch might have better rubber hence abs will kick in later .. overall evo x has better brakes in my opinion.. (both of them have excellent brake though).

and now the really dissapointing part ..

In 5th at 70km/h at around 2500 rpm or so (might be a few hundred rpm more or less) i floored it.. and nothing ... felt like a regular 2 liter family lancer .. around 3500 or so got a big kick from the turbo - however i did not feel a much bigger kick than in a standard 220 hp wrx. I am sure it was better however wasn't impressed .. compared with porsche it seemed .. fade ..

So as you guessed .. porsche cayman base win.. second hand 10k km with tons of nice options on it including a limited slip diff .. to compensate for evo x's AWD system..

My conclusion is that if you really need 4 seats 4 doors them evo x is a god choice (keep in mind than in europe is equiv of at least 50k usd or so - very very expensive) ..

however..
looks - cayman
build quality - cayman
brakes - evo x
seats - cayman
inetrior - cayman
gearbox - cayman
AWD/diff driving in snow rain etc - EVO x
cornering in real world - evo x
cornering on track - cayman (i guess :)
engine pull and torque and sound - cayman by far
sports car feel - cayman
resale value - cayman
mileage an servicing - cayman (more expensive dealers however better reliability and lower gas consumption). can;t imagine going with evo x at 160 km at authobahn - eht - 12-13 liters/100km ?? maybe 9 with cayman..

you got me at the sports car feel and engine.
I know I will not have any regrets with the porsche - except maybe changing the leather seats... if needed..

Cheers.
Andy

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Very cool. Somebody from Romania. Nice flag. Please post pictures when available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks..

Will post a pic when the car arrives.
Regarding mods spoke with a younger guy at the dealer he was saying Porsche dealers are not very "Mods friendly" .. for example if you would change the exhaust they would look it the onboard computer to see if engine temperature were affected etc because of aftermarket exhaust etc etc..

Might drop an air filter at some point.. exhaust.. who knows .. porsche and lotus is usually quite highly tuned from the factory.
Will let you know how it drives on really bad roads :) ..

Plus the 35km highway option outside Cluj.. Brand new and usually empty .. I think they built it for testing cars .. at least at this partial stage .. not into high speeding anyway - that's why I like a proper sports car - you can enjoy it at any speeds - somewhat similar to a motorcycle.. I would probably prefer to sit in a porsche cayman rather than driving a Lexus or Mercedes :)) .

Thanks and happy to join the forum..
Andy

·
Registered
205 Posts
I still drive my EVO 8 and after 7 years of owning it, I still like the way it drives.
Power: My EVO 8 is modded (320 WHP on dynojet) and I can really feel the toque of the car but it seems to run out of steam after 120 mph. The power delivery on the EVO is explosive because of the turbo, the cayman's power delivery is linear. Modulating the throttle on the EVO 8 is hard because that turbo lag gets you off guard pulling out of the corner. I like both cars power delivery. The EVO is a killer offline while the Cayman is a little hard to from the dig. Top speed, the cayman eats the EVO.

Handling: I can really feel the front heavy weight of the EVO compared to the Cayman. The cayman feels heavy at first but onced you toss it around then you'll know the car is light. The EVO leans a lot and understeer is more pronounced on the EVO. The AWD system of the EVO is the best in the business and it really helps the car to handle really good. Only if you can bring the weight of the EVO to 2700lbs, it will be one hell of car next to the FIA Rally versions. I like the handling feel of the EVO from the APEX but on the S turns I like the Cayman. The steering on the EVO is really light and darty while the Cayman's steering is a little heavy and quite sensitive.

For me the two cars with name tags set a side are the best what you can get in terms of handling, power, price, and noise inside the cabin. The noise on the cayman screams fromthe inside while the EVO becomes somehow muted when I hit the 7500RPM redline. The noise inside; Cayman sounds exotic and the EVO sound like a electric screw driver.
It will be great if you can keep both because some days I prefer Ale (Cayman)and some other days I prefer lager (EVO). Enjoy both.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
The original note was comparing EVO MR with the Cayman.

The DSG transmission in the EVO is clunky on shifts when not being pressed, and the manual is geared too low, giving high revs and much noise at freeway speed.

Steering feel seemed superior in the EVO, but I think that the response of the Cayman on twisty roads [mine has PASM, sport chrono, H&R springs and sway bars] with elevation and camber changes is simply the best I've ever driven. [Not that there aren't better - just the best I've driven - and deliberately kept myself out of GT3 so I wouldn't be tempted.]

Cost for mods, particularly for greater horsepower with the EVO is much, much less expensive, and the engine has proven considerably more reliable than I would have imagined, if the EVO forums are to be believed.

Likely, though, that the Cayman will hold up, and be the better car longer.

mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Ooh, lemme answer this one!!!

Recently one of my buddies got an Evo X, and in typical Alex McNabb style I talked my way into driving it. I'll be completely honest, I have never been more disappointed in a car. It didn't compare at all to my other buddy's 2006 WRX Sti.
I have spent extensive time in both of the cars mentioned here and could not disagree with you more.

Every STi I have driven (2005, 2008, 2010) has been an understeering pig. The Evo 8 and X I have driven have been much, much more of a driver's car with as close to neutral balance as you could ask for from an AWD car.

I recently purchased an '08 Evo X with 5k miles for about $25k. I quickly realized it is not the car for me but but it is far and away the best performance bargain in that price range. Add in the utility of that car (4 seats, awd, etc) and it's a winner. For me, I could not tolerate the tire roar and lack of 6th gear.

I have an offer from a local dealership for my Evo, more than what I paid for it. ;) So I will be moving onto a Cayman S as soon as I can find one locally to test drive!

FWIW, I wrote up a very long comparison of a bunch of cars I have test driven lately and my impressions over here:

So I've cross-shopped a ton of M3 competitors lately... - M3 Forum 2011 2010 BMW M3 2009 BMW M3 BMW E90 M3 E92

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have driven both.

Cayman S is faster after 3rd gear and will pull train lengths after 100MPH.
Cayman S is FAR, FAR better interior quality.
Cayman S is more solid and in the twistys.
EVO X MR has better off-of-the-line torque.
EVO X MR has more seats.
EVO X MR can whip a CS in the snow!

I bought the Cayman S.

Hope not to sound like an a$$ here, but to compare the EVO X or even the STi to the Cayman S is a stretch. I've researched the heck out of these cars and the difference was blaringly obvious: QUALITY OF MANUFACTURING and ENGINEERING.

You can make a turd go faster than heck (Dodge Neon SRT4)... but in the end it really comes down to the designed intent. Porsche designs sports cars to perform.
Mitsubishi and Subaru design sport cars to entertain those who cannot afford a Porsche.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mitsubishi and Subaru design sport cars to entertain those who cannot afford a Porsche.
What does it mean if you own both?

C/D best handling car below 40k: Evo X
C/D best handing car below 100k: Boxster Spyder

They're both great cars, the Evo has more utility and has cheaper parts. That being said, I'd rather have a Gen II Cayman S than an Evo X. At the track, a stock Evo X suffers from fuel starvation and tranny overheat (DCT). The nice thing about a 987.2 is that it's good to go out of the box with minimal changes needed for the track other than an alignment and some brake pads. They are completely different cars, though. Which is why I kept both.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If I had only one car to do everything Id go with an Evo hands down. Cant take anybody in a Cayman (like a family), a lot of people will refuse to ride in it because it sits so low (everyone in my family), not really an all season car, two doors, two seats, etc, etc, etc.

Evo the far more practical and sane choice for the one-car driver. Cheaper to maintain, four doors, seats five, big trunk to go grocery shopping or to Lowes, AWD for driving in the winter snow, etc.

I drive my Cayman every day 8 months out of the year, but I have another car for more practical moments. No way Id own a Cayman if it was the only car I had. It limits the things I can do. Amazing car, but its a scalpel in terms of what it can do. An Evo is a swiss army knife. Swiss army knife might be less fun, but if you are in the woods trying to make fire, fun isnt at the top of the list.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Everything UDPrides said! I own an STI for the exact same reasons, even tow a 12x6 enclosed trailer with it (even have trailer brakes). One car only? AWD sedan every time. Wife lets you have two? Cayman in the garage for all the other days ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
big trunk to go grocery shopping or to Lowes
(long time lurker, first time poster in this forum... I'm an Evo X MR owner, potentially buying a Cayman S soon...)

I would have to disagree with the above statement. Evo X trunk is tiny, smaller than my old S2000s trunk, if you can believe that. Due to the rear-mounted battery and washer fluid bottle, the seats don't fold down either.

Carry on, gentlemen. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently sold my Nissan Titan pick-up. It was my daily driver but with gas prices what they are I couldn't keep it. This week I took delivery of a 2012 WRX. It's not a Cayman but it's a very fun car to drive and it will fill a void when we get the occasional snow plus it will cost:burnout: much less money to operate.

·
Registered
444 Posts
(long time lurker, first time poster in this forum... I'm an Evo X MR owner, potentially buying a Cayman S soon...)

I would have to disagree with the above statement. Evo X trunk is tiny, smaller than my old S2000s trunk, if you can believe that. Due to the rear-mounted battery and washer fluid bottle, the seats don't fold down either.

Carry on, gentlemen. :)
You can also put stuff in the back seat. There is umm, no back seat in a Cayman. You can stick a big plasma TV in just about any back seat of a 4-door. Not gonna happen in a Cayman. Cayman has some good cargo, but its broken into small, non-continuous sections. Plus you can put 4 people in a 4-door.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts