Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div>Hi All. I have been greatly enjoying the threads here. I have a question I hope you can help me with. For my next birthday, I get to purchase a brand new car of my choice. I don't buy cars very often and tend to drive them until they no longer run. So reliability is important to me. I also enjoy quality. I fell in love with the CS as soon as I saw it. A also think the Shelby Mustang is a beautiful car. I ahve test driven both (regular mustang) and love different things about both. I like the price, back seat, and raw power of the Mustang. I like the looks, handling, and quality of the CS. Consumer Reports gives the Mustang an 'Average' reliability and the 911 and Boxter 'average' as well. I assume the Cayman would fit it as average also although they don't have enough data. The Porsche engines rate 'much worse than average' overall. I am trying to make a decision on these two cars and it has been difficult. People are going nuts over the Shelby Mustang and it does have a much nicer interior than the plastic of the regular Mustang. Exclusivity means nothing to me. I want the best car for my money but also quality and reliability are important. What are your thoughts? There is about a 15-20K difference in price between the two. Thanks for your help. </div>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more note. I don't like the cookie cutter cars on the street. That is one reason why I like the cs and the mustang. They have class- especially the CS. In fact, I kept talking about the CS when I was a t the Ford dealership! I love fast fun cars. The mustang seems to have the raw power while the Cs has the handling.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A few notes about Consumer Reports (I am a subscriber). First their reliability ratings are heavilly biased towards problems on new cars (warranty service) and don't really consider long term reliability. Second, the Porsche figures include the problem plagued Cayenne. Lastly, they gave the Boxster a perfect score.

Right now there is a huge price premium on the Shelby, this will likely pass soon. I would suggest you drive them both (don't handicap the Shelby by comparing a different trim level Mustang with the CS) and buy the one you like more, there are advantages to both cars they are very different.

Like the Corvette and Viper, I respect the high end Mustang but I just wouldn't consider owning one. I wouldn't want them to be dramatically different, I believe they, like the Porsche, respect their ancestry. This is a very personal decision.

Good luck

·
Registered
273 Posts
The problem with all American made cars is that they all losen up after 12,000 miles. The steering and suspensionwill feelsloppy. Read the report about the Cadillac CTS V in the current Road and Track page 150. The Cayman will maintain it's tightness for many miles. Since u like to keep a car for the long haul the choice should be the Cayman.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Did you ask this same question in a Mustang forum? Obviously people here are going to be biased towards the Cayman, but that being said you need to buy the car that is right for you. Both cars have their merits and both cars have their differences, drive them both and then decide.

Like others here if i was given that choice I'd take the Cayman S over the Mustang but that's just me, doesn't mean that is the right decision for you. Good luck and enjoy whatever you do buy!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
A couple of things that you said bring up the following issues-

If you truly keep a car for many ,many years you need to be aware ( or maybe you already are ) that Porsches are expensive to maintain even if it IS rated highly qualitywise. Things go wrong , and when they do ,they're expensive. After the generous four year warranty, just pure maintenance will take its toll. It's a labor of love and you need to enter the marriage with your eyes open . I'm not in the least trying to discourage you ,just enlighten. A Mustang is much cheaper to have repaired ,both from a parts and technician hourly rate comparison.

You also mention wanting/needing a back seat. You need to weigh how important that may be ,especially if this new car will be a 'keeper'.

After all is said, Cayman S is a GREAT car and I think it will become an immediate classic because of its technology, looks ,and superior handling. Is it going to be everyone's favorite and will it fill every need ? No.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. I know these cars are very different. Other than an SUV I bought in 2002 for my wife, the only car I have bought for myself was 16 years ago- a Nissan 240sx. It has been virtually problem free. Unfortunately, my mom wrecked the front when she borrowed it . The only other car that I can compare the handling of the CS with is the Mini Cooper S. But it seems BMW needs to get their act together qualitywise. If either the CS or the Shelby are maintenance problems after the warantee, I will sell and get something else. Why are all the long term reliable cars so boring??? Is it a common belief that American cars rattle apart after 12,000 miles? I don't understand. After all these years, it would seem the auto manufacturers could learn how to screw something together tight! How sad! I wish I liked the 350zx better but this robotic/angular look the companies are going to is rather ugly imho. Is the handling of the Mustangs considered crappy? Don't both cars have McFearson struts?

Sorry for the ignorance.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
It is a personal decision like JohnJones said. I was on the fence about the Z06, base Carrera or the CS. Twoevolved legends againsta new product. I have drivenboth the Z06 and Carrera since buying my Cayman S and feel no regrets because of how much Iprefer my decision. It was just right for me as an everyday commuter car. Enjoy yourself while you makethe decision.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
It is a personal decision like JohnJones said. I was on the fence about the Z06, base Carrera or the CS. Twoevolved legends againsta new product. I have drivenboth the Z06 and Carrera since buying my Cayman S and feel no regrets because of how much Iprefer my decision. It was just right for me as an everyday commuter car. Enjoy yourself while you makethe decision.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Very different cars. The Shelby is a great car - and that is coming from somebody that detests the domestic car companies. It is extremely quick in a straight line and has massive amounts of tq. As you quite rightly state, the Shelby interior is far superior to the GT and base models, yet it still falls way short of the Cayman, which is understandable considering the price and brand difference. The new Mustang design sort of grows on me, and if you are going to get one then the Shelby it must be.

However, the Mustang still handles like a Westpoint 164' in high sea, and the steering feel is numb at best. The feedback through the connection points is non-existent and the car will wear quickly, but it will be easier and cheaper to maintain. My last point refers to your statement of not wanting a 'cookie cutter' vehicle. Even though the shape cannot be classed as cookie cutter, the Mustang, already, is terribly common and will only become more so, in any iteration. The only cars I see more of on the road are the Camry or PT Cruiser.

Just points to consider. Good luck with the decision. Either way you will be getting a decent car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder why on a car like the Shelby, the handling is considered so crappy? Is it the lack of IRS? Higher weight? Is it just impossible to make a domestic car that handles decently? This has been a tougher decision than I ever thought!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Here's a thought, VW sold more beetles than Ford sold model A's (or T's). And Ferdinand Porsche created the VW ... and his son the Porsche ...

If you have ever dissasembled a Porsche engine, you would clearly understand that the Ford engine in no way is the better engine ... no way. If an assembly line Ford engine was put through what Porsche owners put their Porsches through, then the old Found On Road Dead would ring true over and over and over again.

I don't have anything against Ford's; they just aren't Porsches.

If you like a 2+2, a Mustang is 100% real Americana. But, the Cayman S, is a much, much better designed, better performing, and better looking automobile.

That is MY opinion. It would also seem to be the opinion of everybody that voted the Cayman S World Performance Car of the Year.

BTW, I like the way the new Mustangs look. I don't need exclusivity, but I do want to be able to find my car in the parking lot. And there are sooo many Mustangs that Ford may soon take back the coveted honor of most of one model sold!!!!!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I haven't driven a Shelby Mustang, but I did test drive the new Mustang GT. I think it's a great looking car but I have two problems.

#1: Body roll was too much for me. I'd have to put new suspension on it and lower it immediately after purchase.

#2: I'm in the military. I see 50 mustangs a day on the roads around military bases.

Shane

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you like the torque of the Mustang, and the back seat, but want something different and a lot of fun for about the same price as a CS, look at the C55 AMG. Much more of a sleeper car than either of your other choices, but an amazing car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HELLOW..... I Don't get this at all. MUSTANG (pony car) VS PORSCHE CAYMAN (stud car) ie STUTTGART. 10 years from now the MUSTANG will STILL be heavyin the front , and light in the rear. IF ONLY WOMEN could

be women If engine mustang . s!) u(

·
Registered
97 Posts
I looked at that GT500, that is a cool car, but I have owned a mustang before and even the 'exclusive' Mustangs are still Ford's. What that means is A)Built poorly with substandard parts, B)sold by dealerships generally ignorant not only about automobiles in general but their own cars! and C)Dealerships that have service departments that in general will do shoddy work and NOT back up what they say they will do. Now , before any of you Ford lovers get in an uproar, all this is my personal experience with owning a Mustang Cobra. If you really want a screamer with a V8 and a back seat, do yourself a favor and drive the M3 or wait and try out Porsche's Panamerica. I'm on my second generation of M3 and I love it. I take it to work. I take the kids to the movies. I take it to the track. Am I biased against American cars? Yes, but it's not from reading magazines it's from owning just about every brand you can think of over the years. It's been my experience that the only thing Amercian car companies make well is trucks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
To answer ur ? about handling characteristics of the 2, auto engineering is a true art/science. Porsche has figured out some of these ever evolving mysteries. When u own a Porsche u begin to realize that u have purchased a car well worth the money. I think the value is furtherrealized in the way the car continues to be tight for years. For a domestic car company to produce that they would have to tear down and start from scratch mechanically and philosophically.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes quality is what I am looking for. It seems like it is hard to find unless you want to opt for amazingly boring styling like lexus or Honda. I think a car should be reliable. I love the Porsche but wonder why Porsche gets a horrible initial quality rating from JD Power? Quality is another reason I don't opt for a C6 vette.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Helo,

Your point #2 is one of the biggest issues I would have, 'I see 50 mustangs a day on the roads around military bases.'

That is ALL I see over here, and it seems every tourist is driving a rented mustang. Common is an understatement.

FWIW Russ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts