Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I have a 2006 Cayman S manual with 96k miles. I recently went to start my car and the battery was drained. I figured it would be time for a new one, the old was some Interstate battery. After installation of the new Duralast Gold battery, the car will not start. The car still unlocks and the system recognizes that it is key 2. About a month ago I replaced the ignition switch and starter, so I don't believe it could be those. Just last night, I switched out for the old ignition switch to try to troubleshoot, but still the same symptoms. Taking the seat out and examining the immobilizer, there didn't appear to be any damage. (Is there a safe way to open the immobilizer box?) So, quick break down, let me know if you need more info,

• Key in, recognizes that it is key 2.
  • Turn to key position 1, nothing
  • Turn to key position 2, nothing, can't read oil or any other driver info
  • Turn to 3, then try positions 1 & 2, nothing
  • Clutch micro switch has been tested
  • I do not have any other keys to try. Does the dealership need the car present to make another key?

The symptoms are almost identical to another member Sixer

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...wont-start-help-wont-recognise-key-video.html

Thanks, let me know if there are some details missing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2009 Cayman S. Check the clutch switch. The switch that identifies the clutch being engaged prior to starting the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all.
I have a 2006 Cayman S manual with 96k miles. I recently went to start my car and the battery was drained. I figured it would be time for a new one, the old was some Interstate battery. After installation of the new Duralast Gold battery, the car will not start. The car still unlocks and the system recognizes that it is key 2. About a month ago I replaced the ignition switch and starter, so I don't believe it could be those. Just last night, I switched out for the old ignition switch to try to troubleshoot, but still the same symptoms. Taking the seat out and examining the immobilizer, there didn't appear to be any damage. (Is there a safe way to open the immobilizer box?) So, quick break down, let me know if you need more info,

• Key in, recognizes that it is key 2.
  • Turn to key position 1, nothing
  • Turn to key position 2, nothing, can't read oil or any other driver info
  • Turn to 3, then try positions 1 & 2, nothing
  • Clutch micro switch has been tested
  • I do not have any other keys to try. Does the dealership need the car present to make another key?

The symptoms are almost identical to another member Sixer

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...wont-start-help-wont-recognise-key-video.html

Thanks, let me know if there are some details missing.
Hello. Have you tried holding the key fast against the starting position for at least 20 seconds?
That overrode an issue I had with my '06 CS.
Keep us posted on result...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.