Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 2008 bmw 335xi. While it is probably just as fast as a cayman and the handling is quite good, it does just not have the wow factor, no flash to it, looks like every other car on the road. I like a car that draws some attention to it or people like to look at. Does your cayman s draw any attention. Trying to decide between a cayman s used or a jaguar xkr convertible. Two very different cars but the Jag has the pizazz factor and power but not the handling. Also had a mercedes ssl500 which i got rid of after a year, hated the handling. Also up here in NY, the roads suck and even in the bmw the suspension can be somewhat harsh. Also drove an 2008 M3 and man is it a rocket ship with amazing handling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live, but here in the Northeast it definately has a WOW factor. Whenever I drop one of my kids off at school (9,11,13), it is always an event, when driving you do get looks and if the windows are down you usually hear comments. This despite the fact I live in a relatively high per capitia income area. Many Mecedes, BMW, Audi and the like but with most being family type cars (SUV, Sedans). At times with all the attention, it feels like I am driving some exotic super car...

For me that is not why I bought this car. The real reason is summed up here: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/43910-did-i-buy-right-car.html

:dance:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any other opinions out there? Does the cayman have the WOW FACTOR??Does it turn heads??
Funny. Friday I traded in a Barbera red metallic 2009 335i and came home with a 2010 Cayman S in Ruby red metallic with a Sand Beige interior. I agree that the 335i had no WOW at all.

I do not buy a car expecting the WOW in anybody but me, but I have had a whole lotta looks at the Cayman in just 2 days.

And the WOW factor in me? Don't even get me started.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree that you shouldn't buy this car if you goal is to impress others. It doesn't have the aura of a 911 nor the on paper wow factor based on numbers. Buy a lotus if you want flash, buy an M3 if you want paper status and buy a 911 if you want credibility/heritage. Also it depends on what type of person you're trying to impress. A car enthusiast will understand why you bought it although many porsche purists still call it a wannabe 911.

The cayman is the Manny Pacquiao of cars, not a Mike Tyson if you get my drift. It does everything well and is an extremely balanced package but dosn't necessarilly have the knock out punch of some others. The average Joe would be a lot more wowed with a Mike Tyson in his prime than a Pacquiao. However pound for pound and dollar for dollar the cayman is a better car than the 911. And many would say who's Pacquiao? If that's OK with you than the Cayman should be your choice.

Reactions: voeboe

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Whenever I drop one of my kids off at school it is always an event. This despite the fact I live in a relatively high per capitia income area with many Mecedes, BMWs and Audis.
I work in an industry full of Mercedes, BMWs and Audis but there's just something a little extra special about a Porsche. It's kind of like the trump card. Love it.

·
last race, 1958 AD
478 Posts
With anything less than Ferrari, etc, I think attention getting depends on having the latest model in a flash color and where you are. We took factory delivery of our speed yellow CS in 06. The Germans are very car-conscious and you would have been satisfied with the continuous attention we recieved. Compared to that, here in San Diego I might as well be driving a white Camry.

·
Registered
625 Posts
HAWC

Your car looks great! Now that the gen2 headlights have been out for awhile, the gen1 lights looks better and better. they seem to really match the overall shape of the car and look well balanced

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Cayman has enough wow factor for most but it also depends on where you live. In Scottsdale, AZ Corvette's, M3's, and Carrera's are all over the place. I didn't expect anyone to take notice of the Cayman. However, I see plenty of men and women walk up to the Cayman press their nose to the glass, circle the car, etc. Taking it all in. I receive tons of compliments and sometimes get primo parking in front of shops or restaurants because people assume it is more expensive/exotic than it is.

That said if you want to truly stand out around here you have to step-up to the higher priced an Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Along with some of the other amazing cars I see on the streets here occasionally like Spyker and Gumpert.

In the end for me it came down to the car I enjoyed driving the most. The Cayman beat out all comers. I think it is a very special car and one I can enjoy everyday which makes it all the more valuable to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I too like to own vehicles that not everyone else has.

Nice BMW R1200-C. I had a 2000 and loved every mile. Such fantastic and under-appreciated machines.

The 'stang looks great too. My first car was a '66 (in '89). The 289 is such a sweet engine. Got in a LOT of trouble with that car and have been addicted to fast cars, fast bikes, and fast women ever since!

Sorry for the thread-jack, now back to the Cayman WOW factor.

·
Registered
874 Posts
taxdr, I read your post and I will comment on a couple of items you raise. My Gen 1 CS has 19 inch wheels and PASM. With PASM in normal mode, the suspension is firm but not harsh and handles bad pavement with ease. With PASM in sport mode the suspension firms significantly and the ride is harsh on bad pavement but you get better cornering capability for spirited driving. Given your words, I would recommend it because PASM combines an improved ride with better handling.

The Wow factor is strictly a personal thing. My CS does attract some attention but I live in place where Porsches are fairly rare. Here, Corvettes are seen far more frequently. For those folks who want to declare "I have made it" to the world, I'm not sure a Cayman is the way to do it. I love my car but I made very sure before I purchased it that handling was more important to me than horsepower. Fortunately for me, I live in a place where I can drive my car year round without recourse to winter tires.

I cannot advise you on whether or not the Cayman is the best car for you. It is my opinion that it is Porsche's intent that a 911 will always be viewed as a more "exclusive" car than a Cayman. I also will say that a Porsche 911 is a VERY fine car that I would be proud to own. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Hi_Fi_Guy.
I'm not suprised that we both have had the same previous and current rides.
They are unique, underrated machines made with the driver in mind.
So for us to end up with Caymans is just the next progression.
Can you imagine what instore for us next?
Somewhere a group of engineers is designing our next WOW FACTOR !
:banana:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.