Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 921 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just reading latest issue of Panorama Mag. and took note of Porsche U.S. Sales, April 2017: Found it interesting that May year over year sales were up +42 % for the Boxster but down a whopping -52% for the Cayman! I could speculate why but I fear that would just open Pandora's box. An interesting and concerning stat. nonetheless.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, considering the Boxster is only $2K more then the Cayman, versus $12K more on 911 cabriolets, the Boxster is a great value. The markup on 911 convertible over hardtop is ridiculous anyway, $12K, come-on man! I put the top down on my Boxster everyday pretty much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If they would just put a sunroof on the Cayman, all would be right in the world. And dont give me this crap about it is impossible due to structural rigidity. They figured it out on the 911, they can figure it out on the Cayman. i suspect the real reason is it would cut into Boxster sales. Which makes no sense to me either because what does Porsche care as long as people buy a Porsche.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
just reading latest issue of Panorama Mag. and took note of Porsche U.S. Sales, April 2017: Found it interesting that May year over year sales were up +42 % for the Boxster but down a whopping -52% for the Cayman! I could speculate why but I fear that would just open Pandora's box. An interesting and concerning stat. nonetheless.
That is an alarming statistic given the fact that sales of a new release (718) are being compared to the sales of a car in its 4th year of being offered (981). Fortunately for Porsche, Cayman sales represent a very small percentage of its overall sales, but nevertheless it has to be concerning to Porsche. OTOH Boxster sales are encouraging.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why would anyone buy a Cayman when they can buy a 4 seater sports car called a Macan for the same price (trying for sarcasm here). That's what the SA's say - "just like a Cayman with 4 doors and 4 seats".

OTOH, Porsche has no convertible at the same price point and actually the Boxster is considered one of the finest drop-tops at any price. Now, if they make a Macan convertible, watch out Boxster (not giving up on the sarcasm).

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Memory may not be super accurate but if I recall in the 981 the Cayman and Boxster were directionally similar. Interestingly, that was when the Cayman cost more than the Boxster. Data points are counter intuitive.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The roof is so good on the Boxster now it takes away most reasons to have a Cayman, GT4 and Clubsport aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do they get the data from that breaks out the boxter and cayman? Porsche does not break it out on their web site press releases:

Porsche Reports May 2017 Sales

Edit: wrong month. Same deal for April though:

Porsche Reports New All-time Record Sales Month in April
Panorama Magazine always breaks down Porsche sales by model and year over year unit sales volume.

Porsche U.S sales:
Cayman April Sales; 2017: ( 215) vs. 2016: (449) (April % Change -52.1%) Year to Date % Change: (-29.8%)
Boxster April Sales; 2017: (319) vs. 2016: (224) (April % Change +42.4%) Year to Date % Change: (-16.7%))

So overall 2017 vs 2016 YTD. sales are not encouraging for either model. As a side note 911 sales are also down by -7.0% YTD. Macan sales continues to be Porsche's volume leader with 1700 units sold in April up +28.4% vs 2016. The newly updated Panamera is also selling well with 1,098 units sold in April up +28.6%.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If they would just put a sunroof on the Cayman, all would be right in the world. And dont give me this crap about it is impossible due to structural rigidity. They figured it out on the 911, they can figure it out on the Cayman...
This is the exact reason that I'll be buying a CPO 911 rather than a new Cayman: the 911's available glass roof. If they're afraid of NVH/rigidity issues, for my money they could make it a fixed glass panel like the one in the F-Type. All I want is more light, not another open window. JMO...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
986/987/981/718 Caymans have never had a sun roof so I'm not clear on what that would have to do with such a steep one year decline in sales?? Porsche didn't need to leave off a sunroof option to distance from the 911, that was just accomplished with the four cylinder turbo engine and I don't mean that in a negative way its just a fact.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I had a sunroof on the 911 I recently sold...had the car four years and opened it when I bought it to make sure it worked...and opened it the second time when I sold it to make sure it still worked. That no Cayman has ever had a sunroof is a BIG plus, IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My local dealer has a very hard time getting 718 Cayman allotments. Hard to sell vehicles that aren't made.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I thought the 718 Boxsters were launched first and Caymans only a few months later hence the numbers hadn't built up yet?

the numbers seem to pale in comparison to the Cayenne and Macan numbers....the other day I passed the local Porsche dealer lot and 100% of the cars there were SUVs.
luckily its not like that everyday....

1 - 20 of 921 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.