Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Cayman side paint protectors

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  P-car Fan 
#1 ·
On my Cayman infront of the rear wheels, below the side air vents, is a clear plastic sheet stuck onto the panel.
I presume it is there to prevent stone chips.
Does anyone know if these are fitted as standard.
I ask as mine have gone a bit yellow and in my opinion are starting to look a bit naff. Can they be removed and if so how is it best to do this?

#4 ·
Yes they usually yellow but it is visable mostly on light cars. I have had mine replaced by clear bra installers.

#8 ·
Try warming them up with a heat gun or blow drier. They should peal right off. You can clean any residual glue with Goo Gone or mineral spirits. Then spray down with contact cleaner before applying the new one. If you don't have any experience with vinyl graphics or window film application you may want to have a dealer or clear bra aftermarket provider do the install. It's easy to get bubbles which are a beeotch to get out. You need to neutralize the glue so you can move the film around into position and then smooth out the bubbles.

#11 ·
If you put new ones on are you considering putting bigger ones on? I was thinking about putting them on all the way to the vents. Oh by the way, I never did post pics but one of those paints kits ... can't remember the name now. Hell, what was it called ... was really good for road rash/paint chips in that area. Didn't do much for rock chips elsewhere but for that area behind the vent it was great.

Anyway, if your replacing the 3M film ... go bigger.

#18 ·
Anyone know where I might be able to get these protectors in matte black?

I think it would look good on a guards red. :)

-Moto

#19 ·
that's really dissapointing that those protective pieces that Porsche puts on in the factory discolor so quickly! If I had a new CS I'd take those off asap and replace them w/ ones that dont fade if rock chips is a real problem, if not, I'd leave them off all together

My dad still has a '90 944 that he purchased used in '92, and it has a few of those protective pieces around the car. Let's just say after that many years, they look HORRIBLE and are all cracked and everything. I had the car for a few months once and attempted to take them off----it took me a good 2 hours to get off an area that was only about 6" x 6" and my fingers were so sore I couldn't touch anything for a few days

I would have thought that Porsche would have come up w/ a better solution by now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.