Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that I am driving my 981 GTS more, I have noticed a lot of side window buffeting. It's that horrible "whump, whump, whump" sound when you are driving along at speed with the window down. It happens a lot in larger cars, especially SUVs, and especially with the rear windows down more than the front windows.
Anyway, this Jalopnik article (Why Do Slightly Opened Car Windows Make That Awful Sound?) provides a wonderful explanation for the cause of the noise (the interior becomes a Helmholtz resonator).

But it's particularly bad in the 981 compared to my 987. In fact I never even noticed any effect in the 987. I wonder if other people have experienced this in the 981 Cayman?

Unfortunately there's really no solution to the problem, as it's a matter of volumes, etc. Maybe a passenger can change the volume of the air inside the car enough to reduce the effect, but when I'm alone, it's very nasty...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes I noticed this over the weekend as well for first time since getting my car few weeks ago! It is super loud. Normally in other cars its bearable, but only way I could open window was to put it down like an inch and half, any lower and it made the sound.

Now that I am driving my 981 GTS more, I have noticed a lot of side window buffeting. It's that horrible "whump, whump, whump" sound when you are driving along at speed with the window down. It happens a lot in larger cars, especially SUVs, and especially with the rear windows down more than the front windows.
Anyway, this Jalopnik article (Why Do Slightly Opened Car Windows Make That Awful Sound?) provides a wonderful explanation for the cause of the noise (the interior becomes a Helmholtz resonator).

But it's particularly bad in the 981 compared to my 987. In fact I never even noticed any effect in the 987. I wonder if other people have experienced this in the 981 Cayman?

Unfortunately there's really no solution to the problem, as it's a matter of volumes, etc. Maybe a passenger can change the volume of the air inside the car enough to reduce the effect, but when I'm alone, it's very nasty...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found this video about a fix for the Chevy Volt, which is famous for suffering from the side window buffeting problem.

The Smoking Tire - Chevy Volt Wind Buffeting Fixed - Video

Actually the more aerodynamic a car is, the more likely it is to suffer from the problem, so the 981 Cayman might just be more aero than the 987 Cayman. (It could also be caused by the new shape side mirrors too, or the placement on the door rather than the window - see the Volt's mirror placement.)
Anyway, it might be possible to fabricate a fix. Unfortunately any fix must, by definition, upset the air flow around the A pillar.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I find that this is easily fixed by opening the opposing window to compensate for the air flow.

This is only ever a problem at a certain speeds if only one window is opened partially.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Exactly . . . the fix is simple. Roll down the other window. Easy peasy. :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We have been told the roof of the 981 Cayman does not allow a sunroof, but it needs a small sunroof with just the tilt-up in back function. I believe this would solve the buffeting problem and keep it cooler when parked with the roof tilted up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I find much of the ''thump / throb'' sound comes from the cargo cover rapidly oscillating [?] when one window is down. Remove the cover, or secure it, and much of the throb disappears.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Opening the passenger window just an inch is sufficient

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Even cracking the passenger side window an inch or two seems to help a lot, without making the interior a hurricane!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Coming from a Mercedes roadster that had minimum wind buffet, I was really surprised by the hurricane effect of the Boxster. You think Porsche would had thought about this before releasing this model. So far, it's the only thing that annoys me about the 981.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Cayman side window buffeting (edited)

My 981 Boxster does this too, but especially if only one window is open, and all the way down at that. Interesting that the Cayman does this, too. The "solution" is to at least crack open the opposite window. The noise is the worst at about 40-50 mph. Ok, the noise completely goes away when the top is down, but that's obviously not gonna work for the Cayman!

I see others have mentioned opening the opposite window a bit. Also, the Blackmill pieces seem a reasonable solution, other than a change of the cars' aesthetics and a little more drag… Hey, maybe there's actually less drag: buffeting, meaning the net disturbed air flow and the energy lost to sound production is lessened.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I find much of the ''thump / throb'' sound comes from the cargo cover rapidly oscillating [?] when one window is down. Remove the cover, or secure it, and much of the throb disappears.
Hadn't thought of that. Will try that next time out. Mine doesn't need the cover anyway as there is a big JL Subwoofer back there and I don't use that space to carry stuff. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Even cracking the passenger side window an inch or two seems to help a lot, without making the interior a hurricane!
This works for me.:beer: My previous car was an M3 with the same problem, and the same solution.:banana:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found that removing the hatch divider screen from the car improved the wind buffeting comfort level by at least 50% in my Cayman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
This works for me.:beer: My previous car was an M3 with the same problem, and the same solution.:banana:
My E93 M3 still in the garage also does this, but the Yukon XL is the worst and will nearly pop your ear drums!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts