Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do those of you who've purchased the Spare Tire Kit from Suncoast feel about it?

Does it move around at all in the back hatch? Rattle over bumps?

Does the extra 60 lbs. of weight over the rear bumper appreciably affect handling? Does PSM activate more often?

I would like a spare for obvious reasons but not if it takes the fun out of canyon carving. :(

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Can't answer about in the back but I believe Suncoast includes straps so it shouldn't move. Strapping down in front trunk is also an option. That's currently where I have the Boxster donut I bought as a spare stashed. Didn't notice any handling difference or noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased a spare tire and all of the accessories before Suncoast started offering the package. It is mounted in the front trunk. According to the dealer, they had to fabricate a mount for the spare to secure it in the front trunk.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Whoah, $900 for a donut spare? Is this reasonable?
:crazy:

Reactions: tagnew

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Whoah, $900 for a donut spare? Is this reasonable?
:crazy:
I believe that Suncoast's kit includes the Vredestein Spacemaster tire (inflatable spare) + tools, though you're right it's still pretty pricey.

Many of us have purchased the older 986 donut spare, which is not quite as bulky; you can periodically find them for sale on ebay, and they usually go for around $250 or so, including the tool kit.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Oklahoma Foreign had a batch of the older donuts a month or so back. $300 plus shipping. Included tools and cover. Still had to buy straps etc.

Can't really say which is bulkier. The space saver is smaller in diameter but thicker.

I can't really say the Suncoast kit is overpriced. The price on the the spacer saver spare new is around $600 by itself. I think the new piece part price worked out to be something like $1100 so the kit saves a bit.

With the older donuts you have to consider replacing the tire also at ~$100 plus labor. While my donut looks new the tire has to be considered borderline at 8 years old. If I'd known about the Suncoast kit at the time I'm not sure which way I'd go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How the heck do you inflate the space master if the kit does not come
with a compressor? Then you have to figure out what to do with the damaged
wheel...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
wheel...
If you own a CS, you should know it should have come with an inflater (along with puncture sealant).

Flat tire (front flat can fit on the rear package shelf, the rear flat, can fit in the drivers seat.)

Lotsa discussion on these issues in the past.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
wheel...
agree with the above post, check your front boot. Should be a compressor and some random tools... the wrench is good for the battery terminals. there is another small hex tool that is used to take out the front lights for replacement. etc...

BTW - the compressor needs to be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, not another power outlet in the car. it will blow a fuse if not in the cigarette lighter. It is an excellent compressor, I use it all the time for all our cars + bike + whatever else needs air. It is my favorite thing that came with the car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Anyone check the date code on the ones from Suncoast? I'd like to know how old the tires are before i buy and Suncoast could not find a credible date.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Received mine, date code was 2010, 2oth week of 2010, newer than tires on my car.

I installed it in the front

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Altogether new here.

I too was concerned about Boxster travel without a spare after recently purchasing an 05 Boxster base with a 19” Carrera wheel package. I thought I was a genius when I purchased a 19” Cayman turbo collapsible spare to go in my trunk to guard against the financial outlay should I have a flat on a 1200 mile journey in the eastern Sierra in CA.

Well ****. It turns out 19” rims are a curse in this scenario because the 05 Boxster rear trunk won’t accommodate this spare. Or will it?

You may not be insane like me but I removed the trunk liner, made some adjustments and I’ll be damned it fit. (shoe horn). If you have 18” or 17” wheels on your Boxster and there is a collapsible spare available, you may not have to remove your trunk line.

Note: this Cayman spare fits front and rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.