Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what my options are for upgrading my sound system in my '09 Cayman. I think that this is a great car, but the sound system is lacking. I have the PCM 3.0, non bose. I was wondering if just dropping in some new speakers would be enough, (I certainly hope so). I don't need symphony hall quality, but I'd like a bit of an upgrade. What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The problem is not the speakers, the system has no power, by adding a 4 channel amp between factory amp and speakers it will improve sound dramatically if you would like more control of sound add a sound processor before amp. If you like bass add a 10" subwoofer. This is what i used, 2 Fosgate amps R3004 and R500-1 for bass, for sound processor audiocontrol
DQ-L8. I am very happy the way it came out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know what speaker system the gen2 caymans come with, but I have a gen1 that had the sound package plus. Simply changing the head unit on it rendered great results for me, but I'm sure it depends on what you expect etc. Only thing lacking is a little more punch in the base, but the mids and highs are very clear and powerful enough for the coupe.

Audio needs are always very subjective though, so I can understand why others may differ from my opinion.

Thx,
Ben

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had good luck lately by turning the treble and bass down a bit, then turning on the "loudness" setting. This has the effect of boosting the base quite a bit, giving a much better sound (IMHO). Costs nothing to try...

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Will try turning down bass/treble and sound boost adjust.

My problem is: Sometimes the drivers side door speaker will pop or boom when the radio is turned off.

??:crazy:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an '07 so the head unit is different, but what I found was the the speakers are
of fine quality, they are just horribly mismatched. I don't think the problem is the
headunit or the amp's in it. Read my thread called "latests audio thoughts." I put new
amps and a very flexible equalizer unit in and it is now one of the best sounding car
audio systems I've owned. My writeup was back in the summer and I'm enjoying the
system every day on my commute, the changes turned pain into pleasure. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't get it with the sound system complaints!
You've already got the best sound system sitting just inches behind you!:banana:
Get a Lexus or similar for music in your car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I get that, but some of us have to work and commute for a living.
When I'm in freeway stop and go traffic, I need some music to keep me calm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts