Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a splash guard or debris guard for the front and rear fenders for the Cayman 981? Someone must offer this to prevent the shotgun effect on the rear of each lower fender. Thanks.

Bruce in Arizona

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Does anyone make a splash guard or debris guard for the front and rear fenders for the Cayman 981? Someone must offer this to prevent the shotgun effect on the rear of each lower fender. Thanks.

Bruce in Arizona
It looks like people prefer to put a wrap like XPEL there...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep. In the case of my GTS (and hopefully soon, GT4), everything you see in yellow was clearbra'd. Even on the rear bumper cover and A pillars you have to be within about 6 feet and be looking for it, to see it.

RobertGomes_CaymanGTS_ClearBraFront.jpg RobertGomes_CaymanGTS_ClearBraSide.jpg

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yep. In the case of my GTS (and hopefully soon, GT4), everything you see in yellow was clearbra'd. Even on the rear bumper cover and A pillars you have to be within about 6 feet and be looking for it, to see it.
I've got more chips on my roof ( along the windshield edge) than on my hood and none on my doors. Got a few small specks behind rear wheels but hardly noticeable unless laying under the car. 66K miles mixed city and interstate use. No film anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
+1 on Goofnik's cool illustration. The 981 lends itself to full rocker plus coverage, due to the horizontal joint between the intakes and the rear fender well. I also got a panel across the top of the windshield joining the A pillars at the recommendation of the installer. The Xpel is a very nice product, and you should ask your installer for a demonstration of how it heals itself when lightly scratched. Just buff it a bit to get micro scratches easily seen in the light. They then use a heat gun to replicate a few days siting out in the hot sun (not this time of the year, unfortunately) and viola, the scratches disappear. No need for vinyl bras, guards or mudflaps of yesteryear...
Of course, it's not immune to the laws of physics. You can damage it for sure. But for many damaging events all you do is install a new sheet.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The first owner of my CS had the clear hard full ( 3M or Expel? ) installed on all those places. It takes the abuse and saved the original paint underneath. If u are not close enough to touch it, u would not notice it. It's really nice to have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got to agree with the OP. The lower leading edges at the rear of both wings (fenders) is very exposed and very shot blasted. After two years mine are almost paint free.

How well does the wrap stand up to the weathering on these very exposed parts?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How well does the wrap stand up to the weathering on these very exposed parts?
Car has a bit less than 3K on it (2000 of which were in the mountains) and obviously still looks new. XPEL Ultimate has a 10 year warranty, but I'm realistically expecting a 5-6 year service life before I'd replace and re-apply. Front trunk cover took a heckuva rock on Day 2 of ownership. Took a while for it to heal, but prevented what likely would've been a chunk taken out otherwise.

Reactions: SMT
1 - 9 of 9 Posts