Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Nice job! It looked pretty slippery in spots. What tires do you run in the rain? It seemed like there were only a couple of other cars on the track (and one off) during the Enduro - did the wet track keep a lot of drivers away?
Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Great job!

Our P-9 blogger NYPorscheChik was on site, can't wait to hear her report as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job! It looked pretty slippery in spots. What tires do you run in the rain? It seemed like there were only a couple of other cars on the track (and one off) during the Enduro - did the wet track keep a lot of drivers away?
Thanks for sharing!
There were 40+ cars but I started on Pole. The video has only the first 3 laps of the race, so the few cars I passed are lapped traffic but there was a whole field behind. At that point it was VERY wet, no dry parts at all, so we made the right choice of running hoosier rains.

Will post later the most interesting part after I pay the Black Flag penalty and have to pass all the field to regain position.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cool videos. I was driving RA on Forza 3 this weekend. Tough track with the blind transitions. You make it look so easy.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Congrats on your results!

Sorry I did not catch up with you as I was at the track all weekend since I am sponsor chair for the Peachstate PCA. With that, I did spend a lot of time talking with Martin of TRG, and did check out your car.

What caught my attention was your brake set up - exactly, what is it? Yellow calipers usually mean PCCBs, and I could not tell if in fact your fronts are, and your rears appeared to be "standard" factory cast rotors.

In the video, I see that you caught on very quickly how slick 3 can be (the apex is actually at the very peak of the crest, and it is slight off camber) and 5 is brutal when it is wet(yes, of my 3 spins over the years, one was at 5 on a damp track in my Mustang Cobra when I was just starting out, and one was at 3 on a cold damp track on my out lap in one of the old Panoz racing school cars when I should have known better :eek:).

Hope you come back to the race next year, and I'll be sure to catch up with you!

Regards

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on your results!

Sorry I did not catch up with you as I was at the track all weekend since I am sponsor chair for the Peachstate PCA. With that, I did spend a lot of time talking with Martin of TRG, and did check out your car.

What caught my attention was your brake set up - exactly, what is it? Yellow calipers usually mean PCCBs, and I could not tell if in fact your fronts are, and your rears appeared to be "standard" factory cast rotors.

In the video, I see that you caught on very quickly how slick 3 can be (the apex is actually at the very peak of the crest, and it is slight off camber) and 5 is brutal when it is wet(yes, of my 3 spins over the years, one was at 5 on a damp track in my Mustang Cobra when I was just starting out, and one was at 3 on a cold damp track on my out lap in one of the old Panoz racing school cars when I should have known better :eek:).

Hope you come back to the race next year, and I'll be sure to catch up with you!

Regards
VERY slippery indeed. I'm glad I went out in the practice session with the slick tires and that clearly showed me where the worst spots were. I raced with an old set of hoosier rains. 3 was more predictable than 5. The camber crest at 5 catches most people off guard and if you oversteer into the large slick turtles on exit, you are toast (have to slow down to much bring it back).

The brakes are the factory PCCBs, but we run factory steel rotors ("old" GT3 and Cups use those rotor sizes too) for obvious cost reasons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now that you've got the road race thing figured out, Carlos, why not autox a stock one and prove all these nay sayers wrong about Porsche SCCA competitiveness. :=)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that you've got the road race thing figured out, Carlos, why not autox a stock one and prove all these nay sayers wrong about Porsche SCCA competitiveness. :=)
Well, the A in SCCA is still a big handicap to overcome regarding the classing of all P-Cars in that club!:hilarious:

...plus its hard to justify a weekend away from the family for only 5 minutes of "track time"... Maybe in 20 years when I'm all alone and retired...

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Great job!

Our P-9 blogger NYPorscheChik was on site, can't wait to hear her report as well.
thanks Pistol.. yes i was there with Axis-CG and the crew..

no report from me, other than RA is an amazing track and i would love to drive it someday.. everyone was impressed with Axis-CG's car and his performance that weeekend. When time comes to set up my ride to perfection, i'll be using his Tech to do it! even one of the GT3 drivers from another "shop" came over to get his input on reseting his car for the enduro. after that, he won. hmmmm.... that should tell you something.

i shot the weekend with another photog.. here is a mix of our imges.. more to come.. just ran out of time sorting threw.. there are two or three great shots of Axis-CG towards the end.

PixxByTango.com David A. Wilks Photography

:banana:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Pistol.. yes i was there with Axis-CG and the crew..

no report from me, other than RA is an amazing track and i would love to drive it someday.. everyone was impressed with Axis-CG's car and his performance that weeekend. When time comes to set up my ride to perfection, i'll be using his Tech to do it! even one of the GT3 drivers from another "shop" came over to get his input on reseting his car for the enduro. after that, he won. hmmmm.... that should tell you something.

i shot the weekend with another photog.. here is a mix of our imges.. more to come.. just ran out of time sorting threw.. there are two or three great shots of Axis-CG towards the end.

PixxByTango.com David A. Wilks Photography

Yep, Spencer is THE man to work with you on race setup.
It was great to meet you at RA. Great Pictures by you and Dave!! (any from the rain race?)
See you at LimeRock?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Yep, Spencer is THE man to work with you on race setup.
It was great to meet you at RA. Great Pictures by you and Dave!! (any from the rain race?)
See you at LimeRock?
yes, i never miss the club race at Lime Rock..

Dave has the Sunday morning pix; still to sort, edit and load.
:(

i'll get on him to send them to me so i could finish them..

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Another good race at a new venue for the Cayman.

Class wins in both Sprint Races, Class Record, and Overall win (after a black flag 1min pit penalty) in a Rainy Enduro.

Some videos:

Qualifying Record:

Sprint Races:
Road Atlanta PCA Sprint1 Race 2010 - H Stock Cayman S on Vimeo
Untitled on Vimeo

Rainy Enduro Start:
What is the video system in your car? is it hard to integrate? I have a camera mount on my harness bar but a normal video just is so pale compared to all the feedback you get from your system. Thanks

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
After posting the above I did some research thinking it was a trackmate system but the readout looks different. Also I see where the Trackmate is only compatible with Windows ... what about us Mac folks. Comments appreciated

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After posting the above I did some research thinking it was a trackmate system but the readout looks different. Also I see where the Trackmate is only compatible with Windows ... what about us Mac folks. Comments appreciated
I have AIM plus a SmartyCam (also from AiM). It is not an entry level system (midpoint between Traqmate and fulll-on Motec). The AIM reads directly from the car ECU plus we installed additional sensors (and have a full race car dash)
No system that i know of has telemetry analysis or video integration software that runs on Mac. I ran Parallels (some data engineers of the ALMS and GrandAm teams run bootcamp) and windows within it to run the appropriate software.

I used to run Aim with a Chasecam and use Dashware to integrate Data over video (painful long process). Now its automatic with the Smartycam.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks for the information, I have looked at the Smartycam and like what I see. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they now offer data downloads directly to Mac without the need to co-run windows.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
yes, i never miss the club race at Lime Rock..

Dave has the Sunday morning pix; still to sort, edit and load.
:(

i'll get on him to send them to me so i could finish them..

Hey Axis-CG... i will be getting all the photos from Sunday's enduro and will finish up posting to the site. I will let you know when they are ready to view.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
There are now pictures from the race weekend posted on links you can find on the home page of the Peachstate PCA - and several of Axis CG!!!

Home

Regards

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
There are now pictures from the race weekend posted on links you can find on the home page of the Peachstate PCA - and several of Axis CG!!!

Home

Regards
great, In2Esses,, thanks for the heads up.
Nice work from Chadwick.. is that you?

i don't recall meeting him over the weekend. there were two other photogs besides David and I, that we met.. we must have missed meeting Chadwick.
next time..

what a beautiful track to shoot. i am sure there are even better spots to capture and i will endeavor to find them this month when i go back down for the Mitty with HSR.. should be another fabulous weekend at the track.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
great, In2Esses,, thanks for the heads up.
Nice work from Chadwick.. is that you?

i don't recall meeting him over the weekend. there were two other photogs besides David and I, that we met.. we must have missed meeting Chadwick.
next time..

what a beautiful track to shoot. i am sure there are even better spots to capture and i will endeavor to find them this month when i go back down for the Mitty with HSR.. should be another fabulous weekend at the track.

cheers.
No, I'm not Chadwick - 3 things in life (at least) that I suck at - photography, singing, and dancing. I assume you met Henry from ColourTech..........

Regards

1 - 20 of 24 Posts