Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday, I picked up an 06 Cayman and participated in Sunday's Porsche Club Autox event. It was actually the fastest car on street tires.
The car is fast! Car is so easy and fun at the limit. Both the GT3 and f430 had accomplished drivers. Four time national champion in the F430 (.4 sec diff). Can't wait to put the Hoosiers on and chase a certain GT2 for ttod.
Car has coilovers and headers/exhaust, gt3 sways. Car was nicely set up out of the box. All I did was firm up the front sway bar and but some used 265's Kumho XS on all corners.
Vid link below if interested -a bit sideways in the big sweeper at the end. PSM actually came on as i was entering the sweeper. Trick-if it does come on, then floor it as PSM will continue to brake one tire and you get the effect of an LSD>
(turn the volume off- YouTube - OC PCA Autox At El Toro in 06 Porsche Cayman 6/2010

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Carl VDS?

Welcome to world of Caymans. Who's car did you purchase?

Now we just need to get you out to a POC event or two so you can show the club that AXers can drive (Attila abondoned us!).

Cheers,

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Cool video.

That was one FAST AX track. Is that unusual? I think of AX as "barely out of 2nd gear" and a lot tighter. That looked faster than most. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look forward to attending POC events soon.. Attila was there at the OC. In fact I believe he designed the course. He likes to have high speed big sweeper. The course was all second but i was bouncing the rev limiter on the high speed section and all there in the sweeper too. OC courses are always a lot of fun with speeds in the 40-80 range. Usually, there is a straight where you can hit third briefly. BUt that helps the high HP cars to catch up as the mid engine platform turns so much faster. (i have a 986 boxster also)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congrats. I was there as well in the blue/purple boxster. Actually was right behind this Cayman during timed runs.
I left pretty quickly after my runs so I didn't see the final results. What time did you get down to?
I managed a 62:6 or so in the boxster on the dead toyo r888's
EDIT: Must have tagged a cone on that 62 run...got a 63.497 officially

You were pretty brave to keep running that car after smoking like that all day. Wish you luck.:(

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
You were pretty brave to keep running that car after smoking like that all day. Wish you luck.:(
Looks like SBD needs the improved VOS. Not cheap, but fixes the problem. PM (or Eric523) for details.

Cheers,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
". Actually was right behind this Cayman during timed runs.
I left pretty quickly after my runs so I didn't see the final results. What time did you get down to?
I managed a 62:6 or so in the boxster on the dead toyo r888's"

Nice, amazing what a gutted 2.5-7 car is capable of.
I managed a 61.5. That was my friend driving behind you in the Cayman, he got down to 63. HIs Bimmer blow a hose. He is a good driver but has not be out for almost a year. I was working the start when you were running, (I mentioned to you about the third cone everyone was hitting at the start).
Sorry about all the smoke, to much oil in the car,
Due to to much oil and combination of G's in two spots, it appeared to be splashing some oil.. As soon as i drove around it burned off and with no issues. Not something I will do again. Car has the mantis acusump etc
I have heard I should run the oil at about 1/3 low in between the arrows.
Need to research on the site, or if anyone has any thoughts?

You could drop into the 59-60 sec with 15in. canti's. I have fresh set on phone dials I may sell for cheap) and 57-58's with a6 15x275. watch out gt2:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah it's a 2.5l. I think it would have been a whole lot quicker with some A6's. Maybe I'll get a set for AX one of these days. They would like my road course alignment better than the canti's.

Thanks for the heads up on that start cone...blew my first three runs because of it:( I saw a high 61 at one point in the day but the 63 is all I could muster when it counted.

I was just concerned about the oil ingestion going on with your car. Get too much oil in one cylinder and it'll blow apart when it tries to compress it.

Beatuiful car btw, it was definitely a sleeper!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Thats a wicked layout. Never seen so many cones!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts