Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i love my 2014 cayman but the 911 bug is haunting me i am looking at a 2010 911 S could not afford any newer than 2010 but is the 911 mystery
worth the trade

·
Registered
129 Posts
Before I bought my 981, I rented both 981 and 991 for a few days (from hertz) . I could afford either. Preferred the 981. I dislike the idea of having a back seat in a sports car..

If you're comparing 981 with 997, be aware that there are large differences in interior style and function between the generations.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
As a child, I always wanted a Porsche, of course it was a 911. When I went to the dealer to finally buy a new one, I was looking at the Cayman. I drove it and loved it. I then drove the 911. The SA was very good. He also loved the Cayman but he said something which made me think - "if you always wanted a 911 and you buy the Cayman, you'll still be thinking that you want a 911..." He didn't push one car over the other but what he said resonated with me. In retrospect, he was right, I needed to get it out of my system. The Cayman is a great car but if you've always wanted a 911 - think long and hard about the choice.

hey guys i love my 2014 cayman but the 911 bug is haunting me i am looking at a 2010 911 S could not afford any newer than 2010 but is the 911 mystery
worth the trade

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Have you driven both? Let that decide it for you. But as for choosing it on paper, that's a very individual call (not much help of an answer for you). Some people swear by the 911, others by the 981. I drove both on a track, a 911 S and 981 GTS. Hands down the 981 felt better in the handling department, not even a contest. But the extra hp of the 911 was nice, but I felt the GTS hp and power/weight ratio was plenty for street driving. I decided to choose superior handling over additional hp (who cares about the back seats, they are useless and not really a decision point). I chose to get the exact 981 I wanted and have no regrets.
But both are excellent cars and you cannot 'lose' either way.

There are a lot of threads on this, and even a couple of active ones right now on the 981 forum. I would check the same threads on the 911 forums too.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Every time I get ready to get a new Cayman I test drive a few lightly used 911s. So far I haven't found one that speaks to me and I get another Cayman. I owned a 911 years ago. (The one in the avatar.) I loved it. But now I actually prefer a Cayman. To me a Cayman/Boxster seems more like a sports car while a 911 feels like a fine Grand Touring car. I'm not doing too much touring at this stage of my life. ;)

But if you have a "911 itch" and you have found one that you like, go for it. You will never know until you try.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
a Cayman/Boxster seems more like a sports car while a 911 feels like a fine Grand Touring car.
My feelings entirely. This was evident in the 997/987 and is further compounded in the 991/981 imo.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I have had two Caymans 06S and Cayman R five years of driving them and still smile every time I even look at the car much less drive it.
I also have had the opportunity to drive many 911's for extended periods of time ( family members cars ) and could afford to buy one if the 911 was the car for me , to me the Caymans are more fun to drive smaller and more connected in my opinion.
But you need to decide that for yourself , both are great cars.

Cman21

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
The agony of decisions. I have been thinking of a Carrera S compared to my Cayman S.

Base Carrera S: $98,900, 400 hp, 4.3 sec (0-60), 188 top speed.
Base Cayman S: $63,800, 325 hp, 4.7 sec (0-60), 175 top speed.

Is the extra performance worth an additional $35,100 base? Perhaps, if I could drive it unrestricted on the Autobahn, but not here.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have been longing for a 997GTS, found one with every option box ticked in mint condition, 7000 miles and at a great price. Took it for a long test drive and was 'pleased' with the car, however not wowed. I then jumped into my Cayman and felt completely connected and as one with the car. I still considered pulling the trigger on the 997, however then got the opportunity to test drive a 991S and was wowed. Felt more mid engined, great power, looked the business and am basically looking at ordering a 991 GTS.

Test drive both and take it from there. If cars were left to what's on paper vs the heart, I am not sure many of us would have sports cars in our garage. Not a bad problem to have. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would say if you want a 911 and you don't want a 981 then yes, it is worth it.

Personally, I'd keep the 981 until the next generation 911 comes out. That way you get your money's worth out of the 981 AND there will be a big enough difference between your 981 and the 911 to really appreciate the 911.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
..."if you always wanted a 911 and you buy the Cayman, you'll still be thinking that you want a 911..." He didn't push one car over the other but what he said resonated with me. In retrospect, he was right, I needed to get it out of my system. The Cayman is a great car but if you've always wanted a 911 - think long and hard about the choice.
There is another way to look at it. The 911 most of us wanted is called 981 today. I seriously doubt somebody dream car description was "A Porsche with 4 seats". Most likely it was "A Porsche, best drivers car in the world". It's called 981(S) today.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My two cents......and by no means am I an authority.
I had a 2010 Cayman S for about 2 years, then I came across (Dealer called me) a 2010 Carrera S that was just to nice and equipped so ridiculous, I couldn't pass it up.

Here is what I noticed in the switch.
• Of course I modified the Cayman a bit, but it seemed to me like the Cayman while driving it, always felt like driving a race car. Which I liked about 95% of the time.
• The 911 to me, felt more refined. However, when put in sport mode or sport plus just gets nasty.
• Plus, I actually liked being able to throw a kid in the back if I absolutely had to.
• However, I do miss the rear Cayman storage.
• In an ideal world, I would have kept both and been happy forever........

Now, I think comparing a 997 to a 991 or 981 really isn't even fair. The new 981 is awesome. As well as the the 991.

FacebookCover2.png CarreraSOct2014.png

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
hey guys i love my 2014 cayman but the 911 bug is haunting me i am looking at a 2010 911 S could not afford any newer than 2010 but is the 911 mystery worth the trade
Going from a base 981 Cayman to a 997.2S? That's a 40% HP jump, 1.6 secs faster to 60. That is a massive jump you will feel every single day. Is that important to you? You will feel that HP difference every time you hit the gas pedal.

You asked this question on a 981 forum aka Cayman Club. Ask the same thing on a 911 forum. Then ask it on a BMW forum. What do you think the answers will be on those other forums? Maybe "buy a 911 and buy a M4"?

The only way to really get a reasonable and measured answer is to talk to people who have owned, and lived with, both (or similar) models or suggest that you try them both. Test drives mean nothing. Actually living with the cars, day in day out for years, is far different. I suggest you pay attention to the handful of respondents here who have lived with both models. To be fair, ask the same thing on a 911 forum. Pay attention to the answers from people who went from 987/981 cars to 997/991 cars and not so much to the fanboys there either. After all, if they have never owned a 987/981 but only 911s, then they have no basis of comparison either. If I were you, I would want a reasonable and measured response from people who have lived with both vehicles.

Good luck in whatever your decision might be. :)

No matter what it is, you are driving a Porsche. Just don't ask it on a BMW forum because they will tell you to buy a BMW ;)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The Cayman or 911 question can be partly answered by test driving both...it can only be definitively answered by those who have owned both. Even in the "have owned both" camps, you will get different answers. From my perspective, each platform is clearly better than the other at certain things, but neither is perfect.

Steering: 911 (pre-991)
Comfort: 911
Tossability: Cayman
Affordability: Cayman
Looks: 911 (but only with Aerokit)
Ultility: 911 (the rear seats folded down creates a storage platform)
Performance: Most 911s are quicker than most Caymans on a track (practically, the difference day-to-day on the street between my 320hp CS and my 408hp GTS is inconsequential)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I've been debating commenting on this thread...but after some self reflection.....

Like many of us, we dreamed of 911s growing up. We wanted one. We fell in love with the look and the brand. For me, it was the 930 turbo with a whale tail. We had posters on our walls. I don't think the answer to your question has anything to do with test driving the car or the comparison of performance specs on a piece of paper. On the street, there will be no discernable difference in performance anyway. On the track, my 981BS could beat the 1979 930 Turbo displayed on the poster in my room or keep up with a 2014 991 base.

Emotionally, yes, I want a 911. It is the icon. I want the prestige, the wow factor and I hate being second best. I've been saving up for a GT3, then decided on a C4S with an aero kit for the practicality over a GT3 (I mean who wants CL wheels and tires that wear out after 5k miles?).

On my technical side, I want a bad a$$ 981. It looks much better. It's a better design with the mid-engine. People stair and gawk at a 981, not the 911, But the 981 is under powered and it sits in the shadow of the 911 because Porsche intentionally detunes the engine so as not to challenge the icon (barf).

For me, the GT4 is the answer (if they made the Spyder).

yeah...the 911 bug is haunting me to.....but is it for the right reasons?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been going through almost the same thing. Bought a 981 base cayman last May after several test drives telling myself that it would be enough car. I was right :). Problem is I want more now. I will probably hold out until next spring or summer and look into either a 911S or even a GTS. Yeah I got bit, no more holding back :).

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
People tend to either be 911 or Cayman people. In general. I think Porsche has realized this...thus 'gifting' the Cayman bits and bits of more HP to close in on the magical 911. (?GT4?). If I won the lottery today and could by any current or modern Porsche...I would by a Cayman. (OK OK....maybe the 918...twist my arm....). I have no desire for a modern 911. I've driven 991 'S on track and they are amazing...but not my personal thing. Some day I would like to own and tinker with a classic 911...like a 964 or 930. But nothing modern.

For what it's worth, last weekend I had a 996 Turbo owner come up to me looking at my 981. His words: "Dear God....that car is gorgeous. What is it?" He obviously knew it was a Porsche...but hadn't seen a 981C. He walked around the car like it was mid-six figures. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Going from a base 981 Cayman to a 997.2S? That's a 40% HP jump, 1.6 secs faster to 60. That is a massive jump you will feel every single day. Is that important to you? You will feel that HP difference every time you hit the gas pedal.

You asked this question on a 981 forum aka Cayman Club. Ask the same thing on a 911 forum. Then ask it on a BMW forum. What do you think the answers will be on those other forums? Maybe "buy a 911 and buy a M4"?

The only way to really get a reasonable and measured answer is to talk to people who have owned, and lived with, both (or similar) models or suggest that you try them both. Test drives mean nothing. Actually living with the cars, day in day out for years, is far different. I suggest you pay attention to the handful of respondents here who have lived with both models. To be fair, ask the same thing on a 911 forum. Pay attention to the answers from people who went from 987/981 cars to 997/991 cars and not so much to the fanboys there either. After all, if they have never owned a 987/981 but only 911s, then they have no basis of comparison either. If I were you, I would want a reasonable and measured response from people who have lived with both vehicles.

Good luck in whatever your decision might be. :)

No matter what it is, you are driving a Porsche. Just don't ask it on a BMW forum because they will tell you to buy a BMW ;)
I am part of 911 forums and BMW forums (both BMW forums are basically Porsche 911 fanboys that can't afford a Porsche and settle with an M3). If you asked this question on any forums but this one, the answer is buy a 911, is this really a serious question or OP is a troll.

I have both a 997 and a 981. My 997 has over 500hp, CF interior, GT3RS body kit, it gets more 'wows' than my 981 but I drive my 981 four times a week and my 997 once a week. That should answer the OP's question. The 981 isn't the fastest but overall it's near perfect. If you are going to get a 911, save a few more years and get a 991. Coming from a 981, the 997 will be disappointing. If I can only keep one, if would be the 997, not b/c I don't like the 981, it's because, I've invested too much money on it. If my 997 was stock, I would pick the 981 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would say that there are a few more reasons than horsepower, 0-60 times and top speed that go into a decision like this. You can't base a decision like this by comparing numbers. The ownership experience goes beyond which car is faster, consider your needs and how you will use the car. Using your comparison is a Cayman S worth the premium over any competent car on the market today?

The agony of decisions. I have been thinking of a Carrera S compared to my Cayman S.

Base Carrera S: $98,900, 400 hp, 4.3 sec (0-60), 188 top speed.
Base Cayman S: $63,800, 325 hp, 4.7 sec (0-60), 175 top speed.

Is the extra performance worth an additional $35,100 base? Perhaps, if I could drive it unrestricted on the Autobahn, but not here.

Reactions: chows4us
1 - 20 of 41 Posts