Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a cayman s. I would love the power of the turbo. Is there a lot more maintenance and potential problems involving the tpc turbo. The stock 295 h.p. is ok if it spares me money and aggrevation. Thanks for any advice you guys can share

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, potential problems....Yes, more maintenance, but TPC has done a professional job with the kit and it's top quality. So all things considered it's probably as low maintenance and bullet-proof as an after-market turbo could be.
No question it's the only real performance changer for theses cars. I'm happy as hell with mine.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
More maintenance is just changing out the plugs at 15,000 mile intervals.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Well, you also have to check the coolant level in the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I thought the intercooler line was connected to the engine coolant line and not a separate system.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The number of problems or teething pains you'll have with the turbo system will depend on the quality of the installer and the install itself. Mine was done at Accumoto which is considered one of the top installers around. They race porsches and have done many TPC cars so have the experience needed to avoid the typical pitfalls. Mine has 1700 miles on it since the install last year and with the exception of a plastic breather hose cracking right after the install, I've had zero problems. Drove the car a few hundred miles the past few days and am really enjoying the extra grunt! Goodluck in your search. Let me know if you want to check out the car sometime.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Nope it's a separate system. Engine coolant is way too hot!
That is correct. The intercooler system tries to cool the compressor boosted air that, in high boost, has a temperature of about 174 deg F (in high boost, about 140 in low boost, both temps on a 90 deg day) to as near ambient as possible. The motive flow is provided by an electrically driven pump. There is no thermostat or anything else because the goal of the system is to keep the air going into the plenum as cool as possible. The pump pulls coolant from the intercooler and feeds it to the center radiator for heat transfer. As long as the key is on, the coolant is recirculated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree completely with Kush about the quality of the installation being a big factor in how much you enjoy the kit. I've got a intercooled TPC kit on my car, and I just got back from the ALMS/WEC event in Austin at COTA this weekend, which is about 150 miles each way. The kit has been on the car for over 21,000 miles, and knock on wood, it's been very enjoyable for the last three years. The only maintenance I've done is more frequent oil changes @ 5,000 miles, spark plugs, and coolant for the intercooler. The issues I've had with the car are non-kit related, and I still get a smile every time the tach reaches 4,000RPM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts