Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

My take is that as the amount of air needing pushing out of the way increases, the M3 horsepower advantage appears. I wonder if aerodynamics would hand the lead back to the Cayman at speeds over 140mph?

As I have said before...dynos are for chumps. These videos are the real deal.

Anyone with PDK care to enlighten us on speeds at given shift points? When is the M3 starting to pull away?

·
Administrator
34,450 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

My take is that as the amount of air needing pushing out of the way increases, the M3 horsepower advantage appears. I wonder if aerodynamics would hand the lead back to the Cayman at speeds over 140mph?

As I have said before...dynos are for chumps. These videos are the real deal.

Anyone with PDK care to enlighten us on speeds at given shift points? When is the M3 starting to pull away?
Umm no Dave that's called gearing, the Cayman is clearly quicker in the earlier gears but then shifts into a really long gear and the M3 can catch up and pass. He either should have held it in the lower gear longer or if he was truly at redline then he needs to change his gearing in his pdk to be geared for speed not gas mileage as the upper gears in the pdk are. You need to know the gear and drive ratios of each car along with the shift points for this video to have any meaning beyond entertainment value. I think it does show that at normal speeds the Cayman is the quicker car despite the bmw having more horsepower.... of course around the track the Cayman would eat the M3's lunch unless it was a high speed nascar track :hilarious:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not really fair to compare a big, heavy coupe with a sports car.

And in a straight line? Yawn.

Take them to a proper road course and see what happens. :dance:

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'd love to take our M3 to the closest track to here, short, mostly turns, but every time I think about it, I realize there's no way I'd take it there over the CS.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really fair to compare a big, heavy coupe with a sports car.

And in a straight line? Yawn.

Take them to a proper road course and see what happens. :dance:
:hilarious: The point of the video is a rolling start test of straight line acceleration. Believe it or not, some people are curious about how quickly a car will go in a straight line...and shockingly:eek:...many racetracks have these things called "straights" that connect the curves together. ;)

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Umm no Dave that's called gearing, the Cayman is clearly quicker in the earlier gears but then shifts into a really long gear and the M3 can catch up and pass. He either should have held it in the lower gear longer or if he was truly at redline then he needs to change his gearing in his pdk to be geared for speed not gas mileage as the upper gears in the pdk are. You need to know the gear and drive ratios of each car along with the shift points for this video to have any meaning beyond entertainment value. I think it does show that at normal speeds the Cayman is the quicker car despite the bmw having more horsepower.... of course around the track the Cayman would eat the M3's lunch unless it was a high speed nascar track :hilarious:
These guys in Swedeway or Norden or wherever... are pretty good about selecting the gears available that will yield the best acceleration from the car. A car that is slower than another car in a straight line is what we call "slower" in the world outside of the lawyering and engineering fields.

I know this might be confusing to you, K-Man. :hilarious:

You win the moot court argument, but that Cayman was still "slower".

"At normal speeds the Cayman is quicker." OMFG I am nearly apoplectic with laughter.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
"At normal speeds the Cayman is quicker." OMFG I am nearly apoplectic with laughter.

I would interpret normal speeds to mean how fast you would push your car on public roads. To me that would top off at around 80 - 85 MPH. That is less than half the top end speed of the CS which hopefully no one approaches on public roads.

·
Administrator
34,450 Posts

I would interpret normal speeds to mean how fast you would push your car on public roads. To me that would top off at around 80 - 85 MPH. That is less than half the top end speed of the CS which hopefully no one approaches on public roads.
Yep sadly Dave doesn't get it. Once the pdk hits the long gas saving upper gears then the bmw can catch up because it doesn't have the same long gears to contend with. If the Cayman were say a manual or a pdk geared like a manual like some of the pdk based race cars are getting now then the bmw could never catch up, as it was it only caught up at what 120-130 range, how often will that happen in the real world? Fun to watch make believe videos for entertainment value but these are meaningless in terms of performance. I mean really what is the bmw owner going to brag about?

My bmw is slower in all real world useable conditions BUT if I can get the Porsche into a zone where it is handicapped by a ridiculously long gear ratio then and only then can I catch up and pass it! That's like saying you kicked my Arse in gears 1-5 but I've got a better 6th gear. Really? Is that how we are judging cars now???

Listening to the video a second time I still doubt the guy had pdk in manual mode as it sure sounds like it is in auto mode and shifting before redline, but again this video doesn't show us any of that.

Remind me to go out and make a video of my Cayman blowing the doors off a Veyron because I have him pull 10 sparks plugs after 75mph is reached, it's about the same effect.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yep sadly Dave doesn't get it. Once the pdk hits the long gas saving upper gears then the bmw can catch up because it doesn't have the same long gears to contend with. If the Cayman were say a manual or a pdk geared like a manual like some of the pdk based race cars are getting now then the bmw could never catch up, as it was it only caught up at what 120-130 range, how often will that happen in the real world? Fun to watch make believe videos for entertainment value but these are meaningless in terms of performance. I mean really what is the bmw owner going to brag about?

My bmw is slower in all real world useable conditions BUT if I can get the Porsche into a zone where it is handicapped by a ridiculously long gear ratio then and only then can I catch up and pass it! That's like saying you kicked my Arse in gears 1-5 but I've got a better 6th gear. Really? Is that how we are judging cars now???

Listening to the video a second time I still doubt the guy had pdk in manual mode as it sure sounds like it is in auto mode and shifting before redline, but again this video doesn't show us any of that.

Remind me to go out and make a video of my Cayman blowing the doors off a Veyron because I have him pull 10 sparks plugs after 75mph is reached, it's about the same effect.
First of all, these guys are in some Scandawegen country where everyone has a super car and free health care...but a beer is $20. It is quite "normal" for the Viking peoples to spend their weekends on the many runways that are everywhere like local parks in that part of the world.

So maybe you guys don't get it.

Driving over 85 isn't considered "abnormal". In fact they don't even drive in miles per hour over there because miles per hour aren't fast enough for Vikings.

If any of this sounds crazy, just look for M5Boards.com videos.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I own a 2008 M3 and 2008 CS, both 6 speed manual trans. The M3 is much faster 0-60 and 0-100.

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Power to weight ratios are pretty close which the video backs up. The M3 has an approx 90 hp advantage which will help on top end, although I think the true ungoverned top ends are pretty close too. In any case NA versions of the M3 are governed I think so just keep going to 155mph and then wave good bye. In controlled environments, of course.;)

I see C&D tested a 2011 M3 at 3.9s to 60 and less than 12.5 in the quarter which was some quicker than previous tested versions with the same motor and tranny. Can you say ringer?

But at something like 800 lbs or such heavier than the Cayman, the M3 is a porker and needs to go on a diet - which I hear is coming. Along with going back to the inline 6.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I own a 2008 M3 and 2008 CS, both 6 speed manual trans. The M3 is much faster 0-60 and 0-100.
I can somewhat attest to this. Raced a 2008 M3 in my 2004 Subaru STi and the M3 was staying relatively close (STi lightly modified and M3 stock).

Now granted I have a base Cayman now, but the Cayman cannot even compare to the straight line acceleration I had with my STi... and subsequently wouldn't really be up to snuff with the '08 M3 that was on my tail.

I could really care less. The Cayman is a lot more fun, and in my opinion, a much more appealing car! :taunt:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Having another argument about how acceleration is juvenile and unnecessary in a sports car? :crazy:

:hilarious:

I like the M3--tough call between an R and the M3. I would suspect the reason that the M3 takes over is because of gearing though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Though not a fair comparison, my '09 CS was killed by a M3 on a track. Facts of interest:

1) Only my second time ever on any track
2) He's a track professional/instructor
3) He's on R-compound tires

Could not hang with him ANYWHERE. No idea if he had any other modifications. I overheard some interesting driving tips that I consider advanced, but others probably do it, the main one:

"While heading through turn 4 and into 5, stay on the gas but bring your left foot over and use the brakes to level the car while maintaining throttle through the turn."

Apparently this upsets the car less allowing you to carry more speed through a corner. Again, beyond my abilities.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
bofus,

Don't beat yourself up. ANY car on R-Spec tires gains an instant 1-4 seconds or more around ANY course.

Listen to his words, they may make you quicker, but you'll never catch him on those tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have searched and could not find what mph the Cayman S does in each gear at redline. This will tell us if the PDK is quicker than the manual due to the gearing final drive etc. or from other computerized systems being a factor. This would also eliminate the gear ratio final drive tire size complexity!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts