Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend our PCA group (Rocky Mountain Region) held our first DE event of the year at High Plains Raceway in Byers, Colorado. It was great to be back at the track and getting a chance to visit with old and new friends, and, oh yes, to get the 2.7 out to stretch its legs.

After getting my packet, I found out that I got 'promoted' into the Orange run group. This was great news, as I now had the opportunity to run with a faster group of drivers, including a friend of mine who drives a Cayman S.

Now, while I had no expectations that I could keep up with him on the straights (and as you will see in the video, he had to slow down and wait for me in a couple of places - especially when I slowed down too much when I was letting him pass me!), I was eager to see how well I could stay with him in the turns. It's a real blast to have a friend to lead/follow around the track. It 'turns' out I fared better than I thought.

Here's the video. It's shot with a ContourHD VholdR high def camera, which I bought over the winter, and am very happy with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HxK7KVIKCc

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Last weekend our PCA group (Rocky Mountain Region) held our first DE event of the year at High Plains Raceway in Byers, Colorado. It was great to be back at the track and getting a chance to visit with old and new friends, and, oh yes, to get the 2.7 out to stretch its legs.

After getting my packet, I found out that I got 'promoted' into the Orange run group. This was great news, as I now had the opportunity to run with a faster group of drivers, including a friend of mine who drives a Cayman S.

Now, while I had no expectations that I could keep up with him on the straights (and as you will see in the video, he had to slow down and wait for me in a couple of places - especially when I slowed down too much when I was letting him pass me!), I was eager to see how well I could stay with him in the turns. It's a real blast to have a friend to lead/follow around the track. It 'turns' out I fared better than I thought.

Here's the video. It's shot with a ContourHD VholdR high def camera, which I bought over the winter, and am very happy with.

YouTube - Cruising With Chris in the Caymans at HPR
You look like your getting the hang of it, there's nothing like seat time to help you improve. Camara is great, will have to look at getting one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice video - I am really hoping to get up there for a track week-end in August - love the wide open spaces.
It is a great track, and they made a lot of facility improvements from last year that has made it even better. Since it's a new track, the surface is really smooth and doesn't tear your tires up like some of the older tracks. RMR/PCA runs a great event too. Very organized and focused on an educational and safe experience. Maybe we'll see you in August.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is a great track, and they made a lot of facility improvements from last year that has made it even better. Since it's a new track, the surface is really smooth and doesn't tear your tires up like some of the older tracks. RMR/PCA runs a great event too. Very organized and focused on an educational and safe experience. Maybe we'll see you in August.
That really looks like great fun - thanks for posting. We will be moving back to Colorado this summer and I will be picking up my new Cayman S early August. I can hardly wait to check out the track - hopefully I will get a chance before the end of the 2010 season. BTW the video quality is great - I can't get over the color of that Colorado sky!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great fun. Glad to get back on the track this spring. And that Colorado sky...well, get back and enjoy some of this. See you at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Interesting track.. and a pretty long straight.. what was your mph at the turn in point ?

I also drive a 2.7.. and recently did a track day at Laguna Seca.. and, like you, trailed a Cayman S for a couple laps to see how fast he drove away from me... and, like you, was pretty pleased to see that the CS didn't move away -- all that fast. I'll try and post my video -- once I figure out how to get it onto Youtube.

So, at Laguna.. a CS is quicker than our 2.7's... but didn't mean that much on the track.
D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Before I let off I believe my highest mph was 114. I might be higher, but it's hard to look down when you have that sweeper in front of you. Honestly, Chris in the CS was slowing a bit after the corners so I could catch up, as he's at least 60 hp more than me (many mods) so on any straight he can out pull me. I credit catching up to him in the corners with having a soft brake after at poor brake flush from a local dealership that will go unnamed (not Prestige). It really gets your attention when there's bubbles in your brake lines! Would love a crack at Laguna Seca.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.