Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My recently acquired 2007 Cayman S is the nicest car I have ever owned, and am all but terrified of the hostile environment it faces when being driven. What strategies do you use to avoid what threats?

Perhaps the most threatening environment is road construction. Gravel and traffic ahead of you is just asking for it. Freeways that permit trucks are the next worst. Lastly, some areas have obviously poorer drivers and junkier cars, which manifest themselves in aggressive driving, and bizarre road threats. In just ONE day, this week, my wife and I have witnessed a van in front of us, that lost a left front wheel, which shot over the median into the oncoming lanes. The van slid along the brake disc and lower suspension, showering the area with spark and concrete bits. And what of the people on the other side confronted with a flying whee assembly? Thankfully, we were not in the Cayman. Later on, we saw a Chevy Suburban on the side of the road, rear bumper on the ground, because well behind it, were two rear wheels, both with complete axles attached. Some years ago, I was hit in the left knee on my motorcycle by a 24" square window frame flipped up by a car in front of me. A woman out here was killed when a car flipped up a starter motor and put it through the windshield of the car. Chairs, X-mas trees, driveshafts, are other things I have come across, in my lane. I just try to avoid places that where this tends to occur, stay well back, and watch for trucks that were carrying gravel, while watching the rear view mirror for kamikaze drivers. Sometimes, I feel like I am in a war zone out here, made worse by the second worst roads in the nation (San Francisco bay area).

What measures do others take to try and protect their car while enjoying driving it?

- Phil

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
The old track adages applies here, look as far ahead as possible, be aware of the cars around you and anticipate the reactions of your fellow drivers.

You're obviously not a new driver and given all the details you've described of the incidents you've witnessed, a very good observer of your surroundings.

I think you've got most of the bases covered. Leave plenty of room in front of you for avoidance maneuvering and minimize the distractions in the car.

That's about all you can do. Now go enjoy the car!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Wow, you make it sound like a war zone out there :) i tend to find driving weekends rather than weekdays is more civilized. Is the cayman a DD?

·
Registered
543 Posts
^= good advice!

Also watch out for people that dont know how fast a Cayman can stop. Ive found that people that are in a hurry will croud you even more, because they know you can always go faster, but they don't realize how fast you can stop, or don't care if they hit you. All the SUV and 4x4 hot rods are usually the worst, because they are BIGGER than you, they play bully. I equate driving the Cayman in alot of ways how I have to ride my motorcycle.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Agree with everyone. I drive my car into NYC (have a reserved spot in a parking lot in midtown). You should see the stuff I have to deal with on my drive into work (dump trucks, pot holes, annoying drivers etc). My strategy is not to worry, not tailgate, definitely not drive in the fast lane and watch my suroundings.

FYI my parking lot has Bentley's, lambos and Aston Martin's from my neck of the woods....and if they dont worry about driving in, then why should I :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wether you drive a $1500 beater or a million dollar supercar it's the same really:

• Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Dont follow too close.
  • Watch out for M3's and any honda with a vtech sticker on it.
  • Look through the car in front of you (don't follow SUVs/trucks). I can usually react to the vehicle 2 cars ahead of me braking before the car in front of me can.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Clear bra. And prayer.

That's all you can do. I destroyed a wheel in Fairfield. (Pictures coming.) The wheel and it's mates were already bent out of shape from road destruction areas. I am beginning to think that "shovel ready jobs" = "subsidizing the auto repair business".

I am now in the market for new track wheels. Can you get steel wheels for our cars? Paint them black and hammer them round each night before bed?

Now I am running on my showroom new 19s and I am frankly a bit terrified to come down from my hillside lair into the war zone that is the "Bay Area".

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
What is the point of buying a car and not driving it???? Why pay for it, keep it protected in the garage, eat depreciation only so that somebody else can enjoy it.

Sorry, but driving these cars cost you money, period. Get over it. Get a clear bra, be prepared to replace your windshield and have some repainting done. It will cost you $1,000 a year to have nicks and scratches fixed and every two three years you need to replace the windshield because of all the nicks. Scuffs, scratches etc will happen. If you cannot handle it get a Mazda 3 for $15k.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I saw a wheel (or some other bit of junk) flying at me on the road, I'd rather be in the Cayman because then I will have a better chance of being able to outmaneuver it. Otherwise, I suggest you trade the Cayman in for an armored limo.

Remember, "it's just a car," and as such can readily be repaired or replaced.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
If you cannot handle it get a Mazda 3 for $15k.
I prefer my Urban Assault Vehicle. The paint on this thing is bullet proof.

My Cayman is no garage queen. I was being dramatic. ;) We will be rolling into the Hotel Valencia on Santana Row tomorrow night.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
1. Clear Bra. I shudder to think what my grill would look like w/o it.
2. Alternate 'beater' vehicle when you know you will be driving in bad weather (esp. wind), on bad roads (gravel, salt, debris), or mass parking lots (e.g. concert, sporting event, shopping carts). I drive my Jeep in these cases.
HTH;)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I prefer my Urban Assault Vehicle. The paint on this thing is bullet proof.

My Cayman is no garage queen. I was being dramatic. ;) We will be rolling into the Hotel Valencia on Santana Row tomorrow night.
So Dave......what exactly is the "smaller" truck under the driver's door of the UAV? ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
By a decent but cheap beater. To me, it makes no sense to chew up a really nice car commuting. I'd get clear bra, too, but I'd get that regardless of how much I was driving.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Holy cow, I thought all the wacko drivers were in So. Cal. after reading this post, I may cancel my planed driving trip to Nor Cal. and sky dive in.
Further more as a child of the sixties I don't like bra's.

All kidding aside you should get a good DD, you can pick up a good Camry these days for just a few bucks. With the money you have saved invest in a good Performance Driving School, you will gain new level of confidence and not worry so much.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts