Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to my local dealership to drive another Cayman with 18s on it to see how much better the ride was vs my Cayman S with 19s (and no PASM). All they had was a Cayman 2.7 with 17s, so drove that. I had driven one over two years ago. I had forgotton how nice that 5 speed transmission is in this car, and the relative quietness of the engine. The engine did not feel weak and I rather liked it. I would have zero trouble owning the 2.7. The ride with the 17s was better than the 19s to be sure, but frankly, the difference was not as much as expected.

Since the salesman at the dealership is my friend from years ago, and he learned I had never driven a 911, I took a new 991 Carrera S with PDK for a spin. Wow..., this thing is nice. Compared to the Cayman it feels much more upscale inside, the PDK was more to my liking than I expected (I am a hardcore stickshift guy), and it is seriously fast. The engine feels like it is loafing even when leaving other cars well behind. The Cayman S feels decidely weaker. But the most astonishing thing was the ride. This car rode better than my Cayman by a wide margin and also better than the Cayman with the 17" wheels! And yet it had 20" wheels and 30 series out back. Amazing what technology can do.

I want one. But at well north of $100,000 with options, I may have to stay in Cayman land. Especially while looking for a job!

- Phil

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Porsche has apparently sprinkled a lot of magic dust on the PASM and suspension settings of the 991! I'm looking forward to a drive in the 991 as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
IMO, big difference between PASM and non-PASM cars. The 911 S models, (991 or 997) have PASM standard so they ride smooth on 19 or 20 inch wheels.

Big difference in ride between PASM and non-PASM CS'. That is why I had to have PASM on my CS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts