Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to replace the water pump in my 07 base Cayman and there are numerous choices. The factory is composite, some aftermarket are "metal" some are brass. Since the factory item seems to be a given to wear out in 40,000, which should I choose?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Lots of opinions on this. "They" say a failure of a plastic impeller will let chunks into the water passages and get lodged in places causing hot spots. "They" also say a metal impeller can chew up and destroy the block if the bearing gets loose. Most seem to go with plastic. I went with metal. I think a bad bearing will cause the seal to fail and start leaking before it gets to eat up the block. At least thats what it did on my original pump. Bearing failed and it started leaking real bad before the impeller made contact with the block. I am a bit of a risk taker, for the record.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went with plastic. Cleaning out broken bits seems easier than dealing with a damaged block. Mine started making noise at my office and there was some visible damage to the block in my 12 mile drive home with only a minor leak.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OE is plastic so that’s what I went with. The 45k mile pump I removed looked perfect.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Last week my water pump failed after 12.5 years and 45K+ miles. Had it replaced with an OEM pump.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Many will recommend Porsche as best but for price I used Pierburg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts