Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is Porsche waiting for? My answer is the Boxster. Why you ask?

No reason this could not happen to the Cayman... oh wait we have to keep it in the realm of the Boxster to share parts.
Plenty of room to design a better engine bay in the Cayman. If Porsche worked an engine into the Cayman in this style they might build the Worlds most Dynamic car. Sure could not cost a ton to do either.

A mini Carrera GT

What say you in this theoretical question?

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
What is Porsche waiting for? My answer is the Boxster. Why you ask?

http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/FE-F430-140938/images/P022Web.jpg

No reason this could not happen to the Cayman... oh wait we have to keep it in the realm of the Boxster to share parts.
Plenty of room to design a better engine bay in the Cayman. If Porsche worked an engine into the Cayman in this manor they might build the Worlds most Dynamic car. Sure could not cost a ton to do either.

A mini Carrera GT

What say you in this theoretical question?
Even with the better engine, I guess the weakest link would still be the front and rear suspension.

McPherson based F/R suspension is primitive compared to what other MR cars have (double wishbones, multi-link, inboard shocks, etc).

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yeah, I wish Porsche would make the engine visible too. Maybe someday a clear engine cover will become available for purchase. That, coupled with an IPD plenum painted red and a small wire tuck would probably go a long way.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm guessing leaving the engine exposed like that would pretty much prevent using the rear portion of the car as a trunk.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That looks awesome but -- OK, so you can see the engine, but not out of either of the rear quarters when changing lanes?

I guess it could be handled better in a Cayman...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That looks awesome but -- OK, so you can see the engine, but not out of either of the rear quarters when changing lanes?

I guess it could be handled better in a Cayman...
My thought is about having more room to work the intake and exhaust or dare I say the TT word. When the Turbos come I see this as the only way to get a 6CLY engine in with turbos. JMO
Porsche does pride its self on fitting engines in the tightest of places.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I believe that the turbos in the Cayman and Boxster are slated to be 4 cylinder, not six.

My thought is about having more room to work the intake and exhaust or dare I say the TT word. When the Turbos come I see this as the only way to get a 6CY engine in with turbos. JMO
Porsche does pride its self on fitting engines in the tightest of places.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you want that visual from Porsche, the 918 is pretty close.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want that visual from Porsche, the 918 is pretty close.
Yes you are right. I got to see one up close and in person about a month ago and it is awesome !
Just to let you know I am trying to save $ 1.5 million for my next trip to Vegas. I was thinking in the range of $125k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts