Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
World's Foremost Authority
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my BMW friends knows I am a member here and asked me how well the Cayman does on the war ravaged streets of New York City.

My BMW 335i with sports suspension and run flat tires was horrible in NYC. Getting rid of the run flats helped a lot.

How does the Cayman do in this environment? I figure this was the best place to find out.

TIA

CA

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I'm going to find out . . . (perhaps) . . . one of my "constraints" as I consider a Cayman is that it'll likely sit in the driveway, get driven daily in Manhattan traffic and be subject to all the perils Gotham has to offer.

I've had a couple interesting notes from Cayman owners who regularly use theirs as daily drivers in and around Manhattan and they gave the car high marks.

So I guess my answer is that I don't know the answer but all the research I've done has heightened, rather than diminished, my interest.

Eager to enter the "data gathering" phase.

:)

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I drove through NYC in my 911 with PASM and 19s. It was flat out horrible. I work in DC which is also bad. I basically need an alignment about every 3-4 months in my Cayman which has 19s and lowered coilovers, so it is has very stiff ride to begin with.

I would say to not kill your car (not even talk about comfort) you need PASM and 18s. A Cayman with 19s and standard suspension will just get beaten to death.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
One of my BMW friends knows I am a member here and asked me how well the Cayman does on the war ravaged streets of New York City.

CA
captainAudio my cayman "lives" in manhattan. I don't street park it and I've gotten very good at avoiding potholes, sunken manhole covers, construction steel plates, dips in the pavement, you name it :) If I can't avoid it I try to slow down, drive diagonally over it, etc.
In my 1st year of ownership ouch! I was scraping at every dip in the pavement but I consider the cayman better than a z06 with respect to NYC streets. Near an intersection where I work, there's a dip in the pavement that my cayman passes without scraping and there's this z06 that I always hear scraping on the same dip. I have stock 17inch wheels, stock suspension and no pasm. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I have 18" wheels and PASM. In a moment of insanity last fall coming back from one of our events, I took the FDR Drive south to visit a friend. What seemed to be a relatively smooth road in my G35 was anything but in the Cayman.

One of the issues I found was that if you drive the speed needed to keep up with traffic (and you New Yorker's know what I mean), the car was bouncing all over the place due to the potholes and ruts. If you try to slow down to avoid this, you create even more of a mess with people trying to drive around you.

If you have to get from point A to B on a regular basis, I would only drive a Cayman on a predefined route that I know was somewhat smooth. Otherwise, forget it (unless the car was a lease) :)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
... In a moment of insanity last fall coming back from one of our events, I took the FDR Drive south to visit a friend...
Pete did you use the 3rd ave bridge to get to the FDR? There's this painful stretch of road just after you merge into the fdr in the left lane that I passed when I first took delivery of my cayman and it was a cruel way to treat a new cayman :(

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete did you use the 3rd ave bridge to get to the FDR? There's this painful stretch of road just after you merge into the fdr in the left lane that I passed when I first took delivery of my cayman and it was a cruel way to treat a new cayman :(
My NYC car is a BMW 335i with sport suspension and 18" wheels. It is not a great car for NYC but replacing the OEM Run Flat Tires made a big improvement.

I take that strech of road just about every time I use my car. It can not be described, it has to be experienced.

CA

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm in agreement with the majority of answers here. Unless you know the exact route, leave the car home. You never know what street is going to be like a mine field. I hate driving my Subi in the city. And with the winter we've had, there are sure to be brand new potholes everyday.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have driven a lot in the City...used to comute on BQE inCLK55 with HREs lots of stories to tell always felt like world rally! When it wasn't a parking lot! I plan on drving my CS in on Saturdays Route planning is good but streets are always getting chewed up dug up you name it so you justgot to stay alert...my CS will have PASM and 19s I will let you know how it goes

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I was actually on the Tri-Borough Bridge to FDR. I immediately was surprised at how rough the FDR was at that section. And there were manhole/drain covers that I never noticed before! All in the dark...

Funny how the older you get, the more time gets compressed. For some reason I thought that section was just repaved, but it was more than 9 years ago in reality!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
That's a fact. I drove it an hour ago. It'd destroy a Hummer.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My NYC car is a BMW 335i with sport suspension and 18" wheels. It is not a great car for NYC but replacing the OEM Run Flat Tires made a big improvement.

I take that strech of road just about every time I use my car. It can not be described, it has to be experienced.

CA
my dd is a 325i with sport pkg. and 17" run flats, in winter I use 16" blizzak snows which are not run flats, the change in ride quality is amazing, very nice on the snows, makes me want to leave them on all year round. wish BMW would drop the run flats, I think they are the only company that still use them, other than the tires I love the feel of the 325 with the manual trans. and 4 doors.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
street, rough roads and 19" tires :helpme: is what you need. That combination will not work.

I was surprised to hear that Pete still had problems with 18"; how was the PASM set - probably not soft.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
PASM set to normal mode. The quality of the road will overwhelm the ability of any computer to keep up!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 09 CS lives on the UES and I commute between there and CT - I avoid that 3rd Ave bridge (and Willis Ave bridge) as much as possible. The FDR doesn't bother me too much, but it is far from ideal. Same goes for most streets - not exactly pleasant but manageable. I just fully expect the car to take some lumps as the "price" of keeping it in Manhattan (even in my garage)...

Justin

·
Registered
163 Posts
I consider anyone driving your Porsche in NYC, an extremely brave soul. The streets of NYC are so beat up, littered with potholes and pockmarked asphalt mounds, that after even one trip into the city, if your car survives, your sports car would need a realignment. Even an SUV suffers immensely from the ravages of NYC roads. With your race car suspension, low ground clearance, and low profile tires, why expose your lovely Porsche to such a hostile environment.

I drove the 3rd Ave Bridge, FDR, and Willis Avenue bridge last night. My crossover suffered a teeth rattling drive, with the asphalt rubble, depressed manhole covers, raised metal expansion plates, potholes, road debris, etc. Are you guys (gals) masochistic?

And, where would you park your Cayman? Do you guys actually hand your keys over to the valet at the parking garage (Think Ferris Bueller's Day Off)? (Except maybe at the Rainbow Room or Time Warner Center garage, where the other cars are more expensive than a plebian Porsche) Street parking a Porsche in NYC is unthinkable IMO. Your fenders will be scratched and dinged immediately, given the tight NYC parking spots.

Take your beater into the city.

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
I spent most of my life in NYC. Worked there for 10 years also and drove my car to work every day. No way I would drive my cayman there!

·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have managed to keep my NYC car in perfect condition. It takes a lot of effort but it can be done. I have a dedicted spot in my garage on the UES. The car is parked between two columns, is covered with a fitted car cover and I put boat bumpers on the rear bumper.

It is a weekend car and is only driven in the city when I am coming and going.

CA

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
>>>Except maybe at the Rainbow Room or Time Warner Center garage, where the other cars are more expensive than a plebian Porsche

True that. I pulled in the garage near 60th and Madison the other day and was pleased to see the guy put my little Ford Focus in a row with 3 Bentleys, a Maybach, a Rolls and a covered Aston-Martin. Even he was laughing as I took photos. I told him to be sure the Bentley didn't ding my doors.

:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts