Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and nitrox are off in the caymans starting this weekend doing a tour of france,catching the ferry from portsmouth to spain then over the Pyrenees visiting Millau Bridge, the Gorges of the Tarn, the Valley of the Ardeshe, Avigon, Mont Vontoux, Route Napolean, Cannes, Monte Carlo, Col du Turini, Alps, Chammioux,will try to do a bit of a report as we go along:cheers:

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Wish I can do that with my father in law's 911s (1989 C4 Cab and 2010 C4 Coupe). He lives in a village outside of Stuttgart but babies the cars too much. Oh well. Hopefully they will be part of my wife's inheritance...

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Good on ya John, have a good time and as has been posted, we need photies all the way, Millau etc etc.

For all who don't know John (Dontdobends), he has a company some may have heard off as it is involved with cycling. The company is Lusso and they manufacture cycling clothing !! it’s good stuff an all (well it kept me toastie warm when I was in Park City Utah last month)
How long you guys away for?? …I’m doing Skiathos for the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cayman Tour de France 2010

Day 1

We docked in Bilbao on a dark damp Sunday morning a quick trip down the auto route to San Sebastian then down to Panpioma - Jaca , starting a steady long climb up to the Pyrenees over the Col de Pourtalet where it started to snow. Down into France to Laruns we turned right up the Col de Audisque climbing through the clouds to the peak only to find the road had been closed so we had to miss out the Tourmalet. A quick re route through Lourdes through the beautiful St Girons onto the fast flowing D117 with no time to visit the medieval castle at Foix, onto the night stop at Leran- 420 miles of twisty wet snowy roads we were ready for a big drink. We enjoyed a warm Aussie welcome at the L’Impasse du Temple Hotel, tasty food and great accommodation good parking.

Day 2

Another damp start it didn’t really matter as the road was quiet and twisty all the way to Carcassonne where we had a quick coffee stop and took a few pics of the large hill top Castle then onto the D118 to Mazamet leading to St Pons then the D908 Bedarieux we then turned left onto the D35 to Lodeve which lead onto the N9 the 2 lane super fast road to Millau and fantastic views of the famous bridge – 260 miles – we stopped at the Chateau De Cireissels great location overlooking the town and the mighty bridge, excellent food, parking and accommodation

Day 3

Cant believe it !! another wet start we haven’t even took the suntan lotion out of the bags yet, On leaving Millau we headed north on the D907 to the Gorges De Tarn this was mile after mile of twisty tarmac through rock face roads with awesome scenery, reaching the main N106 over the Col De Montmirat to Mende the weather was changing from rain to snow and falling on the hills just ahead so we dropped down onto the D901 to Villefort what a find, this was a cracking road then onto Les Vans in no time at all we reached the D104 to Vallon –pont –d’arc where it became beautiful and sunny perfect for the start of the Gorges of the Ardeche – Wow who needs track days when you have days like this!!
N86 to Bagnios and finally onto Avignon 240 mile - a few beers a nice meal we explored this wonderful walled City a definite must. Stopped at the Holiday Inn Express safe parking good rooms nice breakfast.

Day 4

Dry and bright whoopee!!! Heading north to Carpentras then the D938 to Malaucene where the rain started yet again, onto the Mont Ventoux the climb with tight corners opening up to fast open bends the only traffic we encountered were a few hardy cyclists, on reaching the ski station near the top we found the road had been closed again due to snow. Back down to Malaucene where on leaving the village at a T junction one of the locals in a Ford Focus clocked the Caymans was busy watching us and forgot to watch the road where he flattened the no entry sign he tried to carry on liked nothing had happened with his bumper hanging off and his bonnet with a crease in it was just like a Benny Hill sketch ha ha . Onto Bedoin on the D19 and stopped at the café near the summit which was full of wet American cyclists trying to get some warmth and life back into their blue legs but it was -1 . Down to Sault and Banon the roads were now drying up fast and becoming cambered we passed the epic rocks at Les Mees and a quick right onto the route Napoleon – quick lunch at Castellane – Grasse – Nice and finally onto Monaco – 250 miles – We stayed at the Novotel nice location good parking and great rooms, after a quick shower off we went to have a look at the harbour and the Grand Prix circuit.

Day 5

Dry start heading towards Nice then north on the N202 to Entrevaux this is a cracking quick road which very scenic near the summit next on to the N85 to Digne-Les-Bains - Sisteron - Gap this is an epic piece of tarmac all the way to Grenoble finishing on the auto route to Chamonix – 320 miles – Stopped at the Les Aigions Hotel again , great rooms good parking 5mins from the centre. Quite a big town for a Ski resort

Day 6

Spent the next morning exploring Chamonix we left the girls shopping and myself and Neal were checking out the bike shops and the café’s – Today was mainly an easy day we travelled mainly on the auto route to Ancemont this is just south of Verdun which is famous for the First world war battlefields on the French Belgium border – 330 miles
We stayed at the Chateau de Labessiere the rooms were huge, we had a great nights sleep but Neal and Trish thought it was haunted!! I thought he was talking rubbish until a large picture of a Cavilier eyes moved when I went for a pee ha ha fabulous food and safe parking in the grounds

Day 7

North to Verdun through the battlefields onto the D65 Damvillers, fantastic quick smooth roads made interesting when we had a play with a few bikes onto Montmedy – Brussells onto an afternnon in Brugge before catching the ferry at Zeebrugge

Well, what a road trip we loved every minute of it, brilliant roads lovely food and accommodation and for once the weather didn’t matter, the cayman never missed a beat it turned out to be a painless mile eater and a brilliant road car. I love the sports seats which are grippy and comfy and the Pasm is a must on the road with this car. The car had more than enough performance and the PDK gearbox was superb

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Very nice TripTik. I am still not sure which team won the yellow jersey for which section.:burnout:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sounds a blast! Thanks for the comprehensive write-up including route etc I may well be following in your tyre tracks....

Couple of questions: What was the rationale behind the ferry route? a nice circle so you don't have to retrace steps?? Was there a reason for not hopping on the Eurotunnel to return? I had intended to go that route but obviously the run from Bilbao looks awesome. Anyway, glad you had a great time. :beer:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds a blast! Thanks for the comprehensive write-up including route etc I may well be following in your tyre tracks....

Couple of questions: What was the rationale behind the ferry route? a nice circle so you don't have to retrace steps?? Was there a reason for not hopping on the Eurotunnel to return? I had intended to go that route but obviously the run from Bilbao looks awesome. Anyway, glad you had a great time. :beer:
Hi firstly it cut down the miles plus it was a nice chill out on the boat and we started in the twisties and it just got better:)finishing on the zeebrugge-hull ferry which left us with just a short trip home hope this helps

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Well done big man, sounds like you had a blast,

Weather here today in Skiathos is a tepid 30C (86F) so I'm glad you got the rain rather than me :):)

and i'm sure you don't want to see the shot from where I'm typing this on my balcony !! but you can have it anyways !! :) :) :)
Did you buy out Skiathos to assist Greece with their debt burden? What other islands are for sale? Maybe we can have our next Porsche Parade on your beautiful island of Skiathos. We can rename it Tess's Cayman Porsche Paradise.:cheers:

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Some of you are using the Union Jack for United Kingdom and Tess is using White with Red Cross for England (when I hover the cursor over the flag). Is there a difference?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.