1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
The cayman is 51.4in and the bmw is 56 :taunt:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I've owned a Cayman for 3 years and I test drove a 135i for 1 hour over the same roads I drive my Cayman on daily. Here's my quick impression.

First off, it is a faster car in terms of pure acceleration. The 300hp engine feels torquier and beats by Cayman's 240hp. I don't know how much heavier the car is but it accelerates harder.

It doesn't corner nearly as well as the Cayman. In terms of handling it sways and leans more when you set up for a corner and won't make lane changes quite as quickly.

It's more luxurious. Quieter, more comfortable ect. The interior feels like you're getting more for your money.

It's a toss up. I still think personally I'd rather get into a Cayman every morning than a 135i. And that's my ultimate test. Also, the Cayman is a better winter car than any non AWD BMW I can think of.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The 135i is barely comparable to the 370Z in terms of sports car-ness, it's no match with the Cayman. I believe the upcoming 1M/M1/135is will be a better match for the Cayman. Although I still think the MR layout is frankly impossible to match in terms of road feel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 135i is barely comparable to the 370Z in terms of sports car-ness, it's no match with the Cayman. I believe the upcoming 1M/M1/135is will be a better match for the Cayman. Although I still think the MR layout is frankly impossible to match in terms of road feel.
Owned a 135i and test drove a Cayman S. Two different cars. 135i is heavier, less tossable, but offers more adrenaline on the street and straight away from the torque. 135i does not nearly handle as well as 350z or Cayman.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
M1 has been cancelled.
Lots of confusing info about this.

An active insider from BMW has been posting a lot of information about this upcoming M edition of the 1 series over on 1addicts.com. AutoBlog.com then posted a rumour saying it was cancelled and today they posted new spy shots of a widebody 1 series with oversized brakes, wheels, tires and a the classic M style ducklid.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Apples and oranges.

The 135 is a really great sporty sedan but it's not a sports car. It has an amazing motor but the chassis is not on the same level as the CS. FWIW, I checked the 2008 and 2009 lightning lap results and here's what I found:

2008: BMW 135i - 3:13
2009: Cayman S - 3:05

While different days, different conditions can account for a some differences, it likely would never be :08 seconds.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
A guy at the track had a 135i with a couple of grand in engine mods that netted him just south of 400HP and he was riding on Hoosiers.

He was very, very quick. All black car. Scary looking little beast.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
A guy at the track had a 135i with a couple of grand in engine mods that netted him just south of 400HP and he was riding on Hoosiers.

He was very, very quick. All black car. Scary looking little beast.
The advantage of moding turbo cars, cheap with BIG gains!

My friend is on his way in putting Twin Turbo's on his next purchase, a 2.9 Cayman PDK from TTP. Let's see how that performs!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
We bought a new 135 in late January to replace my wife's 328 coupe.

As noted, it is a lot of fun, but certainly no CaymanS in the handling department, not to say that some modifications could not bring it closer.

It is a blast to drive though. I find it is a cross between the 06 CooperS I had before the Cayman, and the E46 Dinan 330ci we had (I'll call it an S1 with Dinan Sway bars for simplicity), although with a lot more power. We have the paddle shift automatic, and while I have not driven a PDK car, this automatic is a great "street" automatic, and I am going to have to autoX it once this year just for kicks (although I know it will understeer like a pig).

Obviously, being a sedan, it has some practicality that the Cayman simply can not have, and is certainly a bit more civilized for a daily driver / commute car, particularly with the auotmatic. Not to say the Cayman is not a great daily driver as well, but in the daily "grind" of commuting, there is a lot to say for having a car with a bit more comfort.

In short, would I give up the Cayman for the 135 - no. If the 135 would have been available with I bought the Cayman, would it have been high on the list and given a lot of consideration - yes; if you throw $10-$15k of Dinan or TC Kline, etc. mods on a 135 and get it up to 400+ HP, with thier handling tricks, I think you would have an incredible car for less money than a new CaymanS, but again, it is no Porsche.

In short, love the 135, and love the CaymanS. I guess the best decision, is to simply have both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

Regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the N54 engine holds up the 335i and 135i both rock. I had a 335i before my Cayman and modded it to 400+ hp but the HPFP had issues all the time and it overheated at the track (300+ degree oil temps). I think a 335i or 135i is a better DD than the Cayman unless you're willing to give up livability for that special Porsche driving experience. The Porsche is more fun to drive though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
a few people have mentioned the 135 as a "sedan"--since when did that car come w/ 4 doors? I've always thought it was a coupe only?

I personally don't think the 135i is comparable to a Cayman S--the CS is a true sports car where the 135 is a sporty coupe, but not a real sports car. It is fast in a straight line, but doesn't score as good in other characteristics

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
a few people have mentioned the 135 as a "sedan"--since when did that car come w/ 4 doors? I've always thought it was a coupe only?

I personally don't think the 135i is comparable to a Cayman S--the CS is a true sports car where the 135 is a sporty coupe, but not a real sports car. It is fast in a straight line, but doesn't score as good in other characteristics
Yes, the 135 only comes only as a coupe, but in this case, "sedan" is along the lines of meaning a 4 seater..............

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was considering the 135i as well but after test driving it, while fun and quick, the handling was underwhelming to say the least. It felt wobbly and didn't feel very planted at high speeds. Also it's a car that should weight 3000 lbs, not 3400. Finally BMW's fascination with run-flats is a major annoyance as those tires really suck (especially on Montreal roads) and I sowre to myself I'll never own a car with such tires again. Granted you can change the tires later.

Also coming from a 335xi and a 335ic I was getting kinda bored with the whole BMW thing. The 135i felt like an amputated 3-series but the weight lost should have really been more. Also did I feel like spending on tune, suspension, brakes, etc and then deal with the reliability and warranty issues? No.

Last year there was a chipped 135i with R-compounds at the track and it kept up with an 08 M3 without any problems. Mean little car. Both cars finished the day with warped rotors though.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
I've had the CS for three years, and bought a 135i with M sport pkg 6 weeks ago. My comparison:

As a daily driver, I like the 135 more. A bit better ride, a bit quieter, a bit more relaxed, BUT it has torque starting just off idle and is just plain fun to drive at 7/10's and below. It doesn't stick like the CS but then that is part of the fun on the road where you might want to go around a corner and then give a shot of throttle to get the back end a little loose.

It's weakness as already mentioned here is the handling when you start pushing it more. Rolly polly, especially the rear end, and understeer - the more you push the less comfortable it, and you, become with it. And the runflats let through sharp expansion type bumps that are livable but noticeable and can be annoying.

After living on 1addicts though, there are some reasonable remedies: 1) get rid of the run flats and that just about cures the sharp bump response, and 2) a pretty well established list of suspension mods - including changing some of the front end to M3 pieces (wider track, more camber) and changing the rear suspension bushings to get rid of the excess flex.

The above would cost you about $2k in parts, including tires. And if you're like me, just keep the original runflats and put them back on when you sell it. Now, one shouldn't have to do changes like that to get a car where it should have been in the first place, but the changes are supposed to make a very big difference and make what is really a good car into a great one. I wouldn't doubt the most of the 8s lap difference cited by another poster could be accounted for in the suspension mods.

It is a great little car though. Oh, and my CS beats it by about 15% on fuel mileage. And, I went with the Steptronic tranny and for the first time in my life haven't regretted it - in fact I prefer it to the manual - it shifts when you want it and locks up immediately.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I own both a 135i and a Cayman S ('07). I really like the 135i as a daily driver, more a luxury sport coupe, fast, low end torque, quiet, with nice gadgetry. Extremely comfortable seats. I decided not to mod it up, for 2 reasons, I didn't want to lose the warrenty, and secondly, I don't need it, as the CS is my fun ride.

At speed the confidence level is nowhere near the CS in stock form. Grip is nice, and with non RFTs, smooth ride.

People that try to compare them are trying to compare 2 different types of cars IMO.

I hope my HPFP lasts, that has been a big problem, some have replaced it up to 4 times. The latest replacement HPFP seems to have solved the problem, at least for now.

The twin turbo N54 engine has been replaced by a single turbo N55 engine rated at the same power levels, but allegedly not as modifiable.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.