Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

06 Cayman S with no CD changer. Any ideas for an AUX input. I'm currently using an FM transmitter but would like a hard wired aux input.

Best,
Onyx

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just went through this with my 06 with the Bose system. Dension makes an add on adapter for about $500, but, this will probably need to be programmed to work with the car at the dealer or an aftermarket shop. I found the CDR24 to be dated and limited. Replacing it with an aftermarket touchscreen brought a lot more into the mix, and since it wasn't tied into the car for anything else was a simple swap. If you have the Bose system you'll need an adapter (I went with the NAV Kit 210 - $650, basically plug and play for the fiber optic amp). If you don't have the Bose system - a simple wire harness adapter (free from crutchfield with the head unit).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went through this with my 06 with the Bose system. Dension makes an add on adapter for about $500, but, this will probably need to be programmed to work with the car at the dealer or an aftermarket shop. I found the CDR24 to be dated and limited. Replacing it with an aftermarket touchscreen brought a lot more into the mix, and since it wasn't tied into the car for anything else was a simple swap. If you have the Bose system you'll need an adapter (I went with the NAV Kit 210 - $650, basically plug and play for the fiber optic amp). If you don't have the Bose system - a simple wire harness adapter (free from crutchfield with the head unit).
Wow sounds great, do you happen to have the NAV Kit 210 link?, and just to make sure, this one doesn't need a harness to rewire everything?

Thanks Again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Again, my car has the Bose system so I needed the RCA to fiber adapter (NAV TV), if you don't have Bose, you can skip the $600+ adapter and just use a wiring harness adapter... The NAV Kit 210 is available from a lot of sources. I went straight to the manufacturer in Florida NAVTV.com and ordered MOST HUR 997 KIT-210. I called and talked it through with them - very helpful, showed up in a few days. As for the head unit - I ordered it through Crutchfield and told them it was a non-bose car. This gave me the bezel and wiring harness for free. Most of the wiring harness doesn't get used (only power, ground, and antenna power), but it kept me from chopping the car harness in case I ever wanted to go back. I sat down with all of the wires and manuals and drew up a schematic ahead of time, then soldered and shrunk all the wires.

You will need to order a fuse tap as well to get the switched power to the head unit - the stock system pulls it from some source that doesn't get hooked back up.

Making it even more fun, the MOST adapter needs the key to be in the run position to be on for more than 15 seconds. I racked my brain for an hour on this one and was ready to return the unit until I called tech support...

·
Caymudgeon
711 Posts
Do you have Bose or not? If you have CDR24 with Bose then you have a MOST optical system. For MOST, NavTV or Dension are the main options without replacing your head unit and re-wiring all speakers. I recently purchased a Dension Gateway 500 Lite and an aux input adapter direct from the Dension online store for under $300. To add Dension, you'll need to have a dealer activate the 6 disc CD changer which allows the optical loop to recongize additional components.

If you don't have Bose then your best option is probably replacing the head unit, unless you're really attached to the factory look.

Becker audio also offers to add an aux-in if you send them your radio, but they use the phone port and the sound is mono.

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.