Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered a new issue with my car today... the CD/DVD player stopped playing discs and the PCM jukebox also froze up.

I have a DVD audio disc that stays in the player all the time. Today, I was well into a trip around town and while listening to the DVD player, the disc skipped to the next track, part-way through a song. I've seen this before with other, older players particularly when hitting some rough roads. However, I was not on a rough road. So I thought nothing of it.

I stopped at a store about 5 minutes later. Come back out and it's like the DVD disc is not even there - no track information at all. Eject the disc and reinsert it. Player says "reading disc..." for about 10 seconds then just goes to a screen showing 4 logos (dolby, etc.) but no audio or track info. I try ejecting and reinserting several more times. No joy.

I give up on the disc, and radio / satellite still work. Oh yeah, before I ejected the disc the first time, I had turned the audio up thinking it might have been a volume issue. Little did I know, when I ejected the disc, it automatically changed over to radio a few seconds later and scared the crap out of me with the extreme volume. On the plus side, I now know loud my system can get.

When I get home, I try the jukebox and the last track I was listening to from a few days ago is showing but it's frozen in the middle of the song. Now I'm wondering if the hard drive is dorked up so, thinking that the nav system also uses the hard drive, I change over to maps and after the maps load, the song from the jukebox kicks in. Yay. The jukebox is back to life.

Try the audio disc again and no joy. Eject and reinsert a few more times. No luck. I go inside and get another DVD, put it in the player and it reads and plays the disc just fine. Eject that disc and reinsert the original disc and now it's working.

Strange. This car is starting to remind me why my last 7 or 8 cars have all been Hondas (with one Toyota in there too).

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts