Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry if there is already an answer out there but I looked pretty hard and have been unsuccessful. Due to the recently lovely heatwave which has been terrorizing the northeast the volume/tuning knobs of my CDR-24 has started to melt. Nothing serious but the rubber is bubbling and is sticky to the touch. I contacted my dealer who informed me that while there is a part number the part is not available yet. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to try a few other places to find a replacement but appreciate anyone's insights/suggestions.

BTW, my car is not under warranty anymore.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elevator music mostly. I find the musak versions of regular songs much more soothing. :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I'd also be interested in finding part numbers for the radio buttons. I lost one of the buttons for selecting a pre-set station.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Elevator music mostly. I find the musak versions of regular songs much more soothing. :hilarious:
If you want soothing you should drive a Hearse not a Porsche:hilarious:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry if there is already an answer out there but I looked pretty hard and have been unsuccessful. Due to the recently lovely heatwave which has been terrorizing the northeast the volume/tuning knobs of my CDR-24 has started to melt. Nothing serious but the rubber is bubbling and is sticky to the touch. I contacted my dealer who informed me that while there is a part number the part is not available yet. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to try a few other places to find a replacement but appreciate anyone's insights/suggestions.

BTW, my car is not under warranty anymore.
If you go to Pedro's Garage, you will find a whole host of do-it-yourself projects documented by Pedro, one of which is for sticky and/or peeling volume and tuning buttons on the radio. He documents the procedure for a 986, but it seems to me that it can be applied to the 987 as well.

Hope its what you were looking for.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
You could always go the 'redneck' route and remove your volume and tune knobs, and just use a pair of needlenose pliers... :)

Seriously though, the CDR-24 is already a generation behind the current CDR-30. I'm somewhat surprised that your dealer says the part isn't available yet. Have you tried calling other dealers in your area or someplace like Suncoast?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Don't know if the knobs are the same for the CDR-24 but I got replacements for my PCM volume and selection knobs.

Most annoying is the AC controls which are peeling on so many Porsche's I've sat in!! Porsche told me they were working on a repair kit, but no news yet :(

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
Most annoying is the AC controls which are peeling on so many Porsche's I've sat in!! Porsche told me they were working on a repair kit, but no news yet :(
Got mine replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All,

Thanks much for the insights and suggestions (Professor, I'm beginning to think you know everything about 987s). Pedro's site was exactly what I was looking for.

I have to admit some disappointment with Porsche for not having replacement knobs available. It sounds as if I'm not the first to have this problem and as was mentioned the CDR-24 has been out for quite a while now. Of course this disappointment disappears when I turn the key and hear the real radio. :burnout:

Thanks again for all the help. When I fix the knobs I'll take some pics and post them in the articles.

·
Registered
317 Posts
All,

Thanks much for the insights and suggestions (Professor, I'm beginning to think you know everything about 987s). Pedro's site was exactly what I was looking for.

I have to admit some disappointment with Porsche for not having replacement knobs available. It sounds as if I'm not the first to have this problem and as was mentioned the CDR-24 has been out for quite a while now. Of course this disappointment disappears when I turn the key and hear the real radio. :burnout:

Thanks again for all the help. When I fix the knobs I'll take some pics and post them in the articles.
Snokng:

You are welcome. And do not forget to post up some photos of your finished product, as I am sure others will encounter cosmetically compromised volume and tuning knobs on their CDR-24 in the near future. I had a section of the CDR-24 replaced under warranty for peeling heater and fan-speed controls.

Thanks for the compliment too, but I will be the first one to confess that my knowledge of the 987 pales in comparison to many others. I do like conducting research on the car and how to go about fixing things, and then passing what I learned on to others—its the teacher in me. :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
While still in place, I just used mineral spirits to get the sticky stuff off. I don't know about using the plastic dip coating because the cleaned up CDR knobs look pretty much the same as before.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
I am with tach miami, just clean them. I used a mild cleaner. I am sure it took longer than mineral spirits, but I felt safer. Pull the knob out, it requires some force, clean it and return it back in place. It looks good as new.

·
Registered
116 Posts
WOW! This thread amazes me. My car has been in South Texas heat since I bought in Sept 06, and never a problem (with black interior, no less). How **** like this can happen is a constant source of wonder. Thanks for the info on replacements, though, just in case.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just want to follow up on a solution for the sticky radio knobs on the CDR-24. I ended up cleaning them (as suggested by tach miami and jaica), as opposed to dipping them in plastic-dip per the do-it-yourself projects documented by Pedro's Garage.

I pulled both knobs off—use a firm and even motion to do so—in order to better clean them. At first I tried using a relatively mild cleaner, namely, Method Floor and Surface cleaner. Even using the product at full strength applied to a microfiber towel, all it did was push the sticky goo around the knobs—it did nothing to remove it. I then applied some Goo Gone to a microfiber towel and began wiping the knobs. This was the ticket, as I was able to remove the sticky mess from the knobs and return them to essentially their original condition. It took some effort to fully clean the knobs up with the Goo Gone, but it did work. No damage occurred to the knobs either.

On a side note, my AC and fan controls were peeling, so the dealer replaced the entire unit under warranty. The cleaned up radio knobs feel about the same as the updated AC and fan control knobs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts