Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I just want to follow up on a solution for the sticky radio knobs on the CDR-24. I ended up cleaning them (as suggested by tach miami and jaica), as opposed to dipping them in plastic-dip per the do-it-yourself projects documented by Pedro's Garage.

I pulled both knobs off—use a firm and even motion to do so—in order to better clean them. At first I tried using a relatively mild cleaner, namely, Method Floor and Surface cleaner. Even using the product at full strength applied to a microfiber towel, all it did was push the sticky goo around the knobs—it did nothing to remove it. I then applied some Goo Gone to a microfiber towel and began wiping the knobs. This was the ticket, as I was able to remove the sticky mess from the knobs and return them to essentially their original condition. It took some effort to fully clean the knobs up with the Goo Gone, but it did work. No damage occurred to the knobs either.

On a side note, my AC and fan controls were peeling, so the dealer replaced the entire unit under warranty. The cleaned up radio knobs feel about the same as the updated AC and fan control knobs.
as my radio knobs have been "sticky" for some time, i'll try the goo gone method.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My '06 CS had this issue when I bought the car. I thought some idiot had just put bubble gum on the radio controls when they test drove it, but I guess not. I simply pulled them off and washed them with dish soap and hot water. Not sure if they look like new ones, but they do look fine to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My headliner was falling when I took it in, the Service Adviser asked if there was anything else, I mentioned the "sticky knobs" and the ac controls were deteriorating. When came back to pick up my car, all new control panel cover, new knobs and and buttons, sweet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel your pain brother. I live in Westchester County, NY and the heat has indeed make my knobs feel as if they were melting. They were sticky to the fingers. I guess I'm gonna check out Pedro's as well. Best!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my radio knobs just became sticky this summer on my 2007.... I removed them, tried dish soap and goo gone to try to remove the sticky, neither seemed to help much. Rubbing alcohol on cloth did the trick. Took some effort to clean but it did get it all off and no damage to the knob.... I folded the cloth over s few times and put it down on the counter top, poured some of the rubbing alcohol on the cloth, then moved the knob back and forth against the cloth in a vigorous manor, once the face was free to sticky I did the same on the edges.... One tip is to remove and put aside the springs that are on the back of the knob while cleaning so as not to loose them and with them on it is harder to grip from the back to clean. Much better than $50 to replace.

·
Registered
971 Posts
After using Goo Gone and Rubbing alcohol, it did not remove the black from the knob leaving the white underbody plastic?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
After using Goo Gone and Rubbing alcohol, it did not remove the black from the knob leaving the white underbody plastic?
Knob stayed black with silver ring on outside. No evidence of any color loss. I think the plastic may be black throughout unlike the buttons on the radio or air conditioner.

Reactions: Cantrax

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I just recently cleaned mine, goo gone did the trick! Highly recommend!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Reviving an old thread just for information sake....after 8 years and since moving full time to the summer/Florida heat, my radio knobs both became extremely sticky to the touch. I've read this thread and others for solutions but decided to engage a company in Maryland called Sticky No More. This outfit has developed a very affordable process to remove and re coat to better than factory quality. The process also prevents future stickiness. They do everything from just the radio knobs, to all the AC controls and even consoles. This problem apparently isn't limited to our Porsches. See their web site for info. Robbie at SNM was extremely helpful and turned around my knobs in one day after receipt. They are better than new and the service is affordable. I have no affiliation with this company and I'm just a very satisfied customer and hoping to be helpful:cheers:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can tell you that this was a problem in my 968, my 987 plus in my (get ready) 2006 Smart diesel. I also get it to some extent in my 2014 Cayenne. I eventually attributed it to "finger slime" - sweat and dirt that come off your hands. It was always worse on the buttons that I used the most. Never a problem during cold or dry weather, but a real problem in damp weather. When it is dry and cool I was able to simply scrape most of it off. The radio button knob on the Smart would get so bad that I would actually stick to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have this problem you can gently pry them off from both sides with a pair of small screw drivers and order a replacement set fro Sun Coast for $29.00. wiping them down with cleaners may clean them but they will just continue to get sticky in time. You can also buy replacement fan and temp rockers switch's online from Clima repair to replace the sticky units on you Climate Module. They tend to suffer from the same sticky issues that the radio has. You can purchase a repair kit for a little less but it's a set of decals that you apply yourself and they do not cover the side of the rockers and in my opinion do not do the interior any justice.

Hope that helps you all

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Nothing like reviving an old thread...again! I also posted this in the 986forum. As Dave pointed out on the 986forum:

"These knobs are made of a white plastic, with a rubber base coating, and then with a secondary rubberized outer coating. It is this second outer coating which turns gummy, presumably due to an unforeseen plasticizer incompatibility with the base rubber coating"

I didn't realize there were two layers to the button when I was dong this.

The only thing I'd like to add is that the solution could all be done literally for FREE! Admittedly isopropyl alcohol is pretty cheap but if you didn't have any, this is the way to go.

1. I pulled off the knobs by using my fingers to grab all sides of the knob and pulled the knob straight out. It took little effort. The reason I add this comment is because when I was researching buying new knobs, I found the following statement on one of the vendor's site:

Note: Professional installation recommended. Risk of damaged to the CDR 24 is possible when removing the control knob with an incorrect force or tool, and damaged to the circuit board is possible if too much force is used during the installation.

Don't let this scare you! It's really easy.

2. With the knobs off, I just used my thumb and started rubbing off the secondary rubber coating. You can use a wet cloth to remove the sticky stuff off your thumb. Otherwise you'll just end up spreading it back on the knob. It took all about 15 minutes if that. Just be careful not to use your nails. Stickiness is all gone.

I hopes this helps others that have this problem. Unfortunately, I don't have a before picture but this is the after.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts