Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I've tried searching. A lot. But I can't find the answers to a couple of questions and they don't seem to be addressed in the Owner's Manual either. The stereo manual itself either doesn't seem to be available, which I think is odd. Both my BMW and Jaguar came with printed separate manuals just for the stereo.

I have a 987.1 with the 680 Bose High End Sound Package, and the P23 PCM 2.1 w/ Extended Navigation

So, please provide me with some information.
There is a tray on the head unit that slides out and has a symbol inside that looks like an outline of a SD card, but neither a microSD or full size SD card seem to fit.

Also under the armrest there are two ports: one is "AUX" and the other is labeled "iPod". The iPod connection is a 8 Pin mini-DIN connector and before I go buy a cable I'd like to know if anybody uses this interface and what it's like (sound and interface. Can the AUX port be used with a mini MP3 player? If so, what's the sound quality and what's the interface like?

The tray is under the number keypad: long unlabeled oval.

Both images from the Web, not mine.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The slot is for a SIM card for a standalone car phone. The iPod cable allows you to control music through an older 30-pin iPod port. You could run the music through the Aux port if you like, but you can't control the device via the PCM. I just bought a little bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the Aux port so I can bluetooth to the car.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I can’t help you with two out of three of the issues as it’s been a while since I’ve had a 987 and never used the Aux ports in mine, but the card slot under the numbers is for a phone sim card as my current 981 also has a useless slot for this despite already being able to run the phone through the PCM via Bluetooth the modern way

That is why it’s over there with the numerical keypad to dial and the phone buttons, however I have never seen or heard of anyone that actually uses this very dated feature

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah! SIM card! Yeah, that isn't useful for me.

av8bpilot Thanks! That helps a lot. I think I'll pick up a little MP3 player and just either "shuffle all" or have playlists. The 8-pin interface is a possible backup plan, but my iPods are ancient, so I don't know if they still even work anymore.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I had the ipod connection in my 987.2, I bought the original 30-pin cable and then added a 30-pin to lightning converter. Worked like a charm, audio quality was excellent and also charged my phone, I could even control spotify through the PCM and display song titles etc. And of course when someone called it would switch to the BT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the ipod connection in my 987.2, I bought the original 30-pin cable and then added a 30-pin to lightning converter. Worked like a charm, audio quality was excellent and also charged my phone, I could even control spotify through the PCM and display song titles etc. And of course when someone called it would switch to the BT.
Thank you that is quite helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the AUX connection via 3.5mm male/male cable to a MP3 player did not work. The car does not seem to see that as an input. What am I missing? What else could that port be for? I don't think it's powered so it must tie into something that I'm not seeing. I've gone through the menus as much as I can (I'm still figuring out the interface) but I don't see any mention of AUX or external music source.

I've dug out my ancient iPod and the battery won't charge so I'm not too sure what I'll do. One post suggested an AUX Bluetooth adapter and I could try that, but I'd still have to find the submenu that lists it as an input.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I assume you have cycled through the inputs by pressing the CD button until you get to ”AUX” ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, I did not know that trick. (I do wish there was a manual!) So I just went out and tried it and I get a message on the Main screen that states "No CD Changer". Multiple presses does not change that message. Thanks for the suggestion; I was thinking that was what it would take, but no luck.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Try this:

”Select "DISC" mode on the PCM and then press the "OPTION" button. This should bring you to a screen that allows you to select which inputs you want to show up as available. Just tick the AUX box and then it will be available”

For some reason you need to have a CD in the CD-player for the above to work.

Apparently the PCM can ”forget” the aux inputs and the above is the method to get them back. I have never have this happened myself but it could be worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, but there is no "Select DISC" mode on my Bose unit. PCM 2.1. If I push the CD button repeatedly the message that appears on the Main screen is "No CD Changer" . I can't seem to get past that point.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Porsche Tequipment Aux / IPod inputs use an FM modulator, so you're looking for an FM station with the RDS code "AUX". You may need to tell it to autostore from the menu at the right, which will scan the stations and preprogram the 10 with the strongest signals. I believe AUX usually shows up as preset 0 at the bottom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, that's interesting! That's new to me as well! Dang, where's a manual when I need one?!? I'm going to run right out and try that, thanks!

red_stapler you get a gold star for the day!! Yea! That works. It took a couple of scans of the dial, but there it was and of course I programed it to 0 right away. It works a treat. Yeah, I have to control it from the player, but that's minor and easy. I have obviously not seen this method anywhere, but you saved the day. Thank you very much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts