Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder if anyone has experinced this???

Almost always the FM radio works fine upon starting up the car. However, once in a while upon start up, it is very "staticky" - every station on the dial! (I am in open areas as well when this happens). Also i have next to nothing in either trunk or in the panels that could be potentially blocking any antenna's. To fix it, i turn the car off, wait about 2 minutes, then start it again. It generally works by then. I read somewhere that the bluetooth radio in my iphone could hinder it, but this happened well before i ever paired any bluetooth device to it?

any ideas? suggestions?

·
On Probation
582 Posts
09 cay base....mine has done it maybe 3 times...nothing extra hooked up...if it happens more i will take it in

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glad to hear someone else has seen this. Its very hard to repeat in front of the porsche techs because it happens so sporadically so hopefully they will just take your word for it that it happens

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
Mine did this twice in the first month of ownership, but hasn't done it since. I shut off the car and re-started it and the porblem stopped, but it hasn't returned, so I don't know what to think of it...

·
Registered
92 Posts
If it's a rapid, "rat-tat-tat" kind of noise, then it could be interferrence from a cell phone or Blackberry. We hear a lot of this interference over computer speakers and FM radios are not immune. The optical MOST bus won't pick this up which is why you don't hear it on other sources.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have an '09 with bose and this just happened to me today. As I turned up the volume, I noticed that the stereo didn't sound right. I could hear static and the overall sound was a little weak. It sounded like one or more of the speakers went out. I checked several other stations and it was the same situation. I plugged-in the ipod in the aux and it was the same staticky, weak sound. I parked the car, had dinner, and checked on the stereo and this time it's okay. No more static and the sound is even throughout the cabin. Very strange.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
This just happened to me today (2010 CS). Any news as to what causes this and how to fix it?

·
Registered
692 Posts
My '12 does this on occasion, maybe 3 times in the 8 months Ive had it. It seems to be just within the radio unit because the CD and aux work fine. Shut off and restart seems to fix it. You can hear the voice or music, but it is highly distorted and useless. Some digital queertron acting up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have scored two such anomalies ove the 3k+ plus miles of my '11 C. Both times AM/FM sound returned after engine shut-off long enough for all electrics to reset. It was as if antenna was either disconnected or their was a white-noise interference. The first time I thought bluetooth interference was culprit (may still be the issue...I don't know). The second time I trusted that radio sound would return next engine start. I tried my iPod through AUX just to see if it was isolated problem with radio frequencies but the iPod was also silent through car speakers. I again suspected my phone causes this because my Android device was just flashed with a new ROM including upgraded Bluetooth radio firmware. Reading this thread makes me think it is interference from the car???

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did notice that my phone bar icon on the lower left of the CRD30 screen had a pic of a handset with a slash through it (no signal bars showing). Once I saw that I though it was all radio frequencies (FM, AM, Bluetooth, cellular, etc) having issues and was looking at the news feeds for a massive solar flare heading this way!! :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
The fact that it resets with a car restart seems to me to point to a software type of issue. For lack of a better term, with my issue anyway, it sounds like a digital static type of distortion. Not regular, old school, static interference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with that description. Odd thing is, when I took ownership of the car last month, the Porsche folks said they did a CDR30 programming upgrade campaign (free) while they did my PPI. I wonder if this was supposed to fix it...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Happens to me about 1 out of 20 times. Strange. Also the "beep" sound when setting a radio station is deafening.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I managed to replicate it yesterday - somehow, leaving the accessory line in cable in the AUX socket without plugging in my MP3 player made the CDR-30 go into "static" mode. When I turned off the car, and waited for all the electronics to shut down and restarted it with the cable unplugged, the static went away.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Mine does it too. About 1 in 20 starts results in a radio that does not receive any stations. In my case the CD player and the Aux in still play normally. When the radio tuner does not boot up properly I have to turn off the ignition and wait a few minutes then restart and all is normal again. I talked to my Service Adviser and he stated that there were "Lots" of issues with the sound systems. That Porsche HAD been replacing them but was currently doing a software upgrade. He suggested that I wait a bit to address mine since I am still under warranty for a year and then under CPO for two after that. "Give them time to come up with a solution." ( Of course it has been a problem for over 3 years for some already :-/ )

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I leave my AUX cable attached but, no iPod, no static. Never an issue. This is strange though, if temperature gets very hot inside cabin (outside 90+), the screen turns a violet, grey whitish color, weird. As temperature cools it goes back to black with grey blocks for stations, I'm not even tempted to take it in for this, it happens once or twice during the hottest summer and I wouldn't be able to duplicate in front of service tech! As for static, I've never had that issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts