Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I bought a PCM 3.0 off ebay to drop into my car that is currently equipped with a CDR30. Now on second thought, I figured that I may have jumped the gun on the buy, because I do not know what goes into converting the units on the car. Is there any extra hardware that I will need to do the conversion?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I think you should either call up suncoast and ask them or wait for our member suneet to chime in!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The hardest part is removing the PCM, after that it is a simple swap using the same connectors...just finished doing it!
You may need to program the recently purchased PCM with your specific configuration with respect to options like Bluetooth, Ipod interface (which is different between PCM and CDR30), Nav etc.
I added the Ipod interface and Bluetooth (from suncoast) which required me to remove the console and get access to the sterring wheel upper and lower covers.
Works great!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yesterday I bought a PCM 3.0 off ebay to drop into my car that is currently equipped with a CDR30. Now on second thought, I figured that I may have jumped the gun on the buy, because I do not know what goes into converting the units on the car. Is there any extra hardware that I will need to do the conversion?
How much are such units and what are there sources ??

Jack

·
Registered
38 Posts
I saw a PCM 3 on ebay and was part interested, as I only have a CDR30 fitted.
I emailed porsche for advise. This is the reply I recived.

Just got off the phone to Porsche technical Dept,

Basically they are telling me that if its not a option through Tequipment then they would not recommend it,

They inform me the PCM units are programmed with the vehicle chassis No, and swapping from vehicle to vehicle would only lock the system out,

So unless its a brand new(blank unit) it would already have a chassis No programmed into it and you only get 1 shot at this.

Best of luck, let me no if you get it to work and what other parts you need, Im sure you will need the nav unit plus loom etc.
At the momment Im going with an Avic-D3, saves all the messing about with more porsche parts and having to have it unlocked or re programmed etc.

Thanks mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
I saw a PCM 3 on ebay and was part interested, as I only have a CDR30 fitted.
I emailed porsche for advise. This is the reply I recived.

Just got off the phone to Porsche technical Dept,

Basically they are telling me that if its not a option through Tequipment then they would not recommend it,

They inform me the PCM units are programmed with the vehicle chassis No, and swapping from vehicle to vehicle would only lock the system out,

So unless its a brand new(blank unit) it would already have a chassis No programmed into it and you only get 1 shot at this.

Best of luck, let me no if you get it to work and what other parts you need, Im sure you will need the nav unit plus loom etc.
At the momment Im going with an Avic-D3, saves all the messing about with more porsche parts and having to have it unlocked or re programmed etc.

Thanks mike
PCM 3.0 units can be swapped out and retrofitted however you are partly correct. It does require a trip to the dealer who must then contact Porsche NA who contacts Porsche AG back in Germany to request the codes to recode your vehicle chasis # to enable PCM 3.0. That part HAS to come from Germany and local dealer cannot do so. Aparantly the ability to code/unlock your chasis # resides with them in Germany NOT locally so they must request it done and the proper codes sent to them. Then your PCM 3.0 can be enabled to achieve its full functionality in your vehicle.

Just upgraded my 09 Carrera S to PCM 3.0 w/Nav and that has been the longest part/communicating with the Fatherland and getting codes sent mostly because US and Porsche are on different time zones! Good luck and PM me if you have questions.
Rob

·
Registered
164 Posts
PCM 3.0 units can be swapped out and retrofitted however you are partly correct. It does require a trip to the dealer who must then contact Porsche NA who contacts Porsche AG back in Germany to request the codes to recode your vehicle chasis # to enable PCM 3.0. That part HAS to come from Germany and local dealer cannot do so. Aparantly the ability to code/unlock your chasis # resides with them in Germany NOT locally so they must request it done and the proper codes sent to them. Then your PCM 3.0 can be enabled to achieve its full functionality in your vehicle.

Just upgraded my 09 Carrera S to PCM 3.0 w/Nav and that has been the longest part/communicating with the Fatherland and getting codes sent mostly because US and Porsche are on different time zones! Good luck and PM me if you have questions.
Rob
What are the dealer's obligations in this?? By this I mean if the part is bought and/or installed elsewhere is he obligated to obtain the correct codes from Germany or is he provided good customer service ??

Thanks for the info.

Jack
Tampa

·
Registered
143 Posts
What are the dealer's obligations in this?? By this I mean if the part is bought and/or installed elsewhere is he obligated to obtain the correct codes from Germany or is he provided good customer service ??

Thanks for the info.

Jack
Tampa
Interesting question. I bought my part from my dealer in that he ordered the new PCM 3.0 which was shipped from Germany and then the tech installed it and their parts dept had to obtain the codes from Germany. So no problem there. I would assume that IF one went to their dealer with a PCM 3.0 bought elsewhere; the dealer has no obligation to obtain the codes since they didn't install the unit but from my experience MOST dealers have no problem working with customers to install Porsche equipment and get their cars working as a good will/customer service experience!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts