Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys, I have this same issue with the ticking noise. This noise also varies in rhythm with the rpm ranges. I took it to the dealer (many o time) but they keep telling me that the diagnostic meter doesn't show any codes. At this point different problems have been occurring like: at idle there is variation of rpms, like a surging. Some days the power is amazing and many others, are the complete opposite side of the spectrum. I went to the track last week and after my first session (ever) I got a cel light. Yesterday I was told that it was code 421. Catalytic converter, so I took off my new fabspeed headers and not only did the exhaust ports look white and burnt, but the headers (200 cell), were completely toast. Some of the welds were missing at the three tube connection and the cells within the cat were deformed. So ya, I could really use some help too.

08' c.s.: ipd plenum, rss underdrive plly, v-flow, evoms, fabspeed sport catts w/exhaust, de-snork

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd give Fabspeed a call on the headers/cats. I've found them to be good to work with.
Alan, thanks for the post. I did have a good conversation with Joe, and your right, they are a good bunch of guys. He told me to send them back which I did , and yesterday he sent me an email saying there working on them... What would that mean? I hope their not fixing the same pair. I did email him again with that question but no reply yet. As far as the tick and idle surge, could the headers have caused it to get worse? And being the stock headers are back in, I'm setting up an appointment with porsche this week. I wonder if I should be worried about my mod's. ( evoms flash, rss under dr, ipd plenum, v-flow, De-snorkle) before I go to them..? thanks again.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,931 Posts
Check the variocam valve actuator. It can be controlled with PIWIS or Durametric. If the ticking stops when the actuator is shut off then it is the actuator.

A malfucntioning actuator will hose up many things. I know this first hand.

Cheers,

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Krockodil, its funny you mentioned that because the service rep. said the same thing. They haven't seen the car yet but, when I explained what was going on that's what he said it sounds like. I didn't know with the durametric cable that it could be fixed that easy. Does this mean my evoms software might disappear?
And, like stated by alan, should I worry about my mod's. If so, what does anyone suggest I do before bringing it to them?

·
Registered
310 Posts
For those of us with Durametrics, how do you test the Variocam Actuator? I looked, but didn't see anything obvious and was afraid to muck around too much - not knowing what I was doing. Just curious.

For the OP, I would flash back to stock, reset the CEL and see how the car runs. When I first installed my Softronic SRP and flash, I had a varying idle problem, CEL and lack-luster performance as well. I flashed back to stock, disconnected and reconnected the battery, drove the car, then reflashed with the tuned file. Everything was fine after that. In your case though, it sounds like the problems may also extend to the headers. Goodluck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think it could be the flash? It would make sense that it is, because the vario is definately effected by a flash and so are a lot of other issues that i'm having with the car. Even the side vent that turns on when the engine compartment reaches a certain temp doesn't even turn on most of the time. To be honest all these issues have come after I flashed the Evoms (twice). I'm wondering if softronics would be better?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.