Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 997 cab. The check engine light is continually coming on and 2 dealers have read codes of random misfires at idle. They have both replaced spark plugs and coils. After 5 months, 5 dealer visits and 5,000 miles, light is still on. I've been told to use fuel injector cleaner different brands of gas and none of it helps. Any advice?...thanks

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
This problem has been reported (there are a variety of CEL issues), but it should be fixable. Maybe a software problem rather than hardware problem is at fault. Some dealers just are not competent and some are just not interested. After two dealer misfires I would suggest kicking this up to PCNA customer service. Did you buy the car new/CPO and is the car still under warranty? This will have some bearing on how best to approach the problem. If you bought new/CPO I would return to the selling dealer and firmly but politely state that the problem isn't fixed and that you are going to contact PCNA and go forward in conjunction w/ the dealer. If you bought used w/o CPO I would contact PCNA directly. If there is any remaining warranty or if the problem began while under warranty you will be standing on a lot firmer ground. You should not have to live w/ this problem.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
This problem has been reported (there are a variety of CEL issues), but it should be fixable. Maybe a software problem rather than hardware problem is at fault. Some dealers just are not competent and some are just not interested. After two dealer misfires I would suggest kicking this up to PCNA customer service. Did you buy the car new/CPO and is the car still under warranty? This will have some bearing on how best to approach the problem. If you bought new/CPO I would return to the selling dealer and firmly but politely state that the problem isn't fixed and that you are going to contact PCNA and go forward in conjunction w/ the dealer. If you bought used w/o CPO I would contact PCNA directly. If there is any remaining warranty or if the problem began while under warranty you will be standing on a lot firmer ground. You should not have to live w/ this problem.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. It is a CPO car I bought from a dealer in PA. I live in NH. I have called Porsche N.A. and opened a case. We'll see where it goes. I've experienced many other problems. This car has been in the shop over 20 days so far. CEL means I can't sell the car or even get a state inspection. How many opportunities do I give them to fix it before I call a lawyer?(as a last resort).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Buy the Durametrics cable and read out the error code for yourself, then you might want to post this fault code at Renntech as well as that is one of the most technical Porsche forums around.... no affiliation, just the fact that the moderator knows a heck of alot... but you need the code to get any visibility as to the problem...

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Each state has it's own lemon law requirements/criteria. I'm not sure if the applicable laws are those where you reside (NH) or where you purchased the car (PA). Typically you are obligated to allow the selling dealer and/or manufacturer to make the car right within a specified amount of time and with a specified number of attempts before the car can be declared a lemon. I would suggest that you pursue the PCNA avenue while researching your applicable local lemon statutes. As a CPO car Porsche has an obligation to make the car right. That's a big plus on your side, regardless of the dealer. Try not to work yourself into the mind set that the car is a POS and not worth the money you paid because if you do even if they make the car right you won't be happy. Good luck, keep us posted about the outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update:
After a few more visits to dealer and calls to PorscheNA (they were no help at all). The local dealer replaced the flywheel and it seems to have done the trick. No codes for one week now! I'll keep you all updated if that changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
amazing, I figured the fuel injector cleaner was obviously not going to fix anything but flywheel would have not been one of my guesses. Glad its working out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts