Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Rennline PM01.04 phone mount that fastens to two screws under the side trim of the console between the seats. I am looking for advice on how to remove this trim piece from a 2017 Cayman.

The video on the Rennline site shows that the trim can "popped off" with a single hand by pulling away from the center console. It looks very simple and straightforward. I cannot remove the trim on my car even with two hands and pulling as hard as I can. I tried a trim removal tool and that would not release the clips. It causes the trim to bend so much that the leather cover begins to wrinkle and it still does not release the clips.

I emailed Rennline and they advised to not use a tool and just use a "stiff pull by hand" to pop the trim off. This definitely does not work on my Cayman. Both trim pieces on the driver's and passenger's side are equally stuck.

Does anyone have experience with this or any advice on how to pop this trim off? Note, it is not the metal trim surrounding the gear shift. It is the vertical trim piece that is on the side of the console that houses the gear shift.

Rennline Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCXy2VafYD0

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased a Rennline PM01.04 phone mount that fastens to two screws under the side trim of the console between the seats. I am looking for advice on how to remove this trim piece from a 2017 Cayman.

The video on the Rennline site shows that the trim can "popped off" with a single hand by pulling away from the center console. It looks very simple and straightforward. I cannot remove the trim on my car even with two hands and pulling as hard as I can. I tried a trim removal tool and that would not release the clips. It causes the trim to bend so much that the leather cover begins to wrinkle and it still does not release the clips.

I emailed Rennline and they advised to not use a tool and just use a "stiff pull by hand" to pop the trim off. This definitely does not work on my Cayman. Both trim pieces on the driver's and passenger's side are equally stuck.

Does anyone have experience with this or any advice on how to pop this trim off? Note, it is not the metal trim surrounding the gear shift. It is the vertical trim piece that is on the side of the console that houses the gear shift.

Rennline Video:
I have and installed this. Works great. Originally had it located on the upper-left side but it was blocking some display and hard to access some buttons. Moved it to the upper-right side and works great. You have to pay attention to the drink holder in this location but everything works.

To remove the trim, pull with your fingers starting from the trim nearest the rear of the car and work your way clip-by-clip towards the front. If the first clip doesn't pull away from the console then you need to just pull harder. No tools are needed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the same experience moved from left to right.

On removal of the piece as stated by surferbum start from the back pulling towards the side you are removing going forward. There is one clip farther forward than you may think. Then once the clips are out pull more straight back on the piece.

If I remember correctly the video wanted you to lift out at angle DO NOT do that.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

Rennline Video:
Thanks for this post, I didn't know about this mount, I will have to look into it perhaps the best one I have seen for my car... Where do buy it from?

The trim can be very stiff to remove, certainly not as easy as it looks in the video, I would recommend getting a set of inexpensive trim removal tools, when used carefully they will not damage either the console or trim, I used these when I had to remove the PCM to install my back-up camera module.

Below is a picture of the backside of a 981 console trim, it will give you an idea of where the clips are, take note of the tab at the lower front, easily broken if you don't pull the trim straight back when removing it, it only aligns and does not snap in only the 6 along upper edge as indicated need to be released.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post. I believe I have one of those statistical combinations of tolerance stack ups that make mine particularly difficult to remove. I will try again when the card comes out of the shop from being coated. I purchased the phone mount here: https://www.suncoastparts.com/SFNT.html
Like I said the trim removal tools (I think I paid $10 for the my set) make this a lot easier... https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

I went ahead and ordered a mount for my Boxster and the wife's Macan directly from Rennline yesterday.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
UPDATE: I installed this mount a couple of weeks ago, the postion I chose was on the passager side.

After using it not only in town and on the highway I can say that this is working great, I postioned the metal plate on the lower half of the phone back to allow the phone screen to sit at about the same height as the PC screen, this way it is above the HVAC controls and allows me to see the buttons for the stereo from the drivers seat.

The magnet is powerful enough to hold the Samsung S7 in placed during those sessions of spirited driving yet allow you to grab it and exit the car without the requirment of spreading out spring loaded arms (I tried that style before this one).

I am impressed...

Reactions: Nimche
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.