Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been racing for a few years with NASA, and have owned my first Cayman for about 7 months now. Starting a build to compete in GTS with this car, and have a question concerning the third (center) radiator. The standard is to vent the bottom of the bumper cover......do we really want to force air under the car? I can see other ways to vent through the top of the bumper cover or even the hood. Or maybe I'm just making too big of deal about a small amount of air. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
At a first glance - the whole idea seem like a hidden wing which will act to lift the front. But I'm sure Porsche guys thought about it :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
To do it properly you do vent upward using the gt3 grille but you also need the proper ducting around and above the central rad so the air is actually sent upwards. It is no good just adding the smile

·
Registered
48 Posts
To do it properly you do vent upward using the gt3 grille but you also need the proper ducting around and above the central rad so the air is actually sent upwards. It is no good just adding the smile
That's a good point. Does the ducting from a 911 GT3 work or do you have to go more custom than that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only the gt3 rs and gt2 does the job properly with the requisite parts but a lot can be customed to save money.
If you search the web for gt2 front rad tilt mod or similar you will find some threads

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's kind of what I thought when I heard just cut holes in the bottom of the bumper cover. I'll make something myself for ducting by bending some sheet metal. Think I'll go straight back into the tub/frunk and vent through the hood. Kind of an internal wing similar to the new Ford GT and other mid engine super cars.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think in theory you are correct that venting the center radiator air under the car would add some lift. However, If you think about how much air actually passes through the front radiator and then under the car, my bet is it is not enough to worry about. i.e. the difference is negligible even at speeds well over 100 mph. As another contributor expressed I'll bet Porsche thought about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In a front engine car, where does all the air that goes through the front grill exit? Almost always, underneath. Probably doesn't matter much to most people. I have never seen a part number for the GT3 vent ducting that vents the center radiator to the "smile" in the top of the bumper. Does it even exist? Is there actually anything channeling the air from the center radiator to the "smile"?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Yes, I'm aware of that option. To simplify...........Is it a good idea to vent air UNDER a race car?
Methinks you're making a mountain out of a mole hill...but if you want to add the GT3 "smiley" outlet at the upper bumper cover, you'll need to fabricate an exit duct to route the air upwards to exit out the "smiley". I'd think the GT3 duct might be a close fit, but I haven't read of anyone trying to install it in a Cayman.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Methinks you're making a mountain out of a mole hill...but if you want to add the GT3 "smiley" outlet at the upper bumper cover, you'll need to fabricate an exit duct to route the air upwards to exit out the "smiley". I'd think the GT3 duct might be a close fit, but I haven't read of anyone trying to install it in a Cayman.

Oops, someone just beat me to the punch!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread, I´m doing this mod to my 986s, trying to make it work with the GT2-chimney and jimk04:s picture is the first I have seen that really looks good!

I noticed that to use the GT2 chimney without modification will push the middle rad too far front so it interferes with the side ducts. So, it looks like jimk04 have managed to make it work by trimming the Gt2 chimney.

I´m really curious on jimk04:s installation and hope that he (or someone else) might be able to chime in and give me a few pointers in the right direction. What I wonder now is:

1) I believe I need to flip the radiator mount, no problem, however if I also flip the radiator (so I can re-angle it and still fit the coolant hoses without extensions) then the inlet/outlet will be in the bottom.. Then.. will I get a problem with air bubbles trapped in the radiator? Am I asking for trouble using the radiator flipped? Is it better to extend the hoses and use the radiator the usual way?
2) With the GT2-chimney trimmed, will there still be a proper airflow behind it or is it a bit too narrow?

My first post in this great forum btw :) Please let me know if I break any rules..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Great thread, I´m doing this mod to my 986s, trying to make it work with the GT2-chimney and jimk04:s picture is the first I have seen that really looks good!

I noticed that to use the GT2 chimney without modification will push the middle rad too far front so it interferes with the side ducts. So, it looks like jimk04 have managed to make it work by trimming the Gt2 chimney.

I´m really curious on jimk04:s installation and hope that he (or someone else) might be able to chime in and give me a few pointers in the right direction. What I wonder now is:

1) I believe I need to flip the radiator mount, no problem, however if I also flip the radiator (so I can re-angle it and still fit the coolant hoses without extensions) then the inlet/outlet will be in the bottom.. Then.. will I get a problem with air bubbles trapped in the radiator? Am I asking for trouble using the radiator flipped? Is it better to extend the hoses and use the radiator the usual way?
2) With the GT2-chimney trimmed, will there still be a proper airflow behind it or is it a bit too narrow?

My first post in this great forum btw :) Please let me know if I break any rules..
No clue on the radiator mount as I had the bottom vent last year and switched the the GT3 rad setup (brackets angle the radiator differently, the actual rad is different, different location, etc.) I've not seen anyone use the OEM Cayman center rad and vent it upward, always downward. That said....maybe I could have saved myself money.

For your second question, do you mean will it will air make its way behind the chimney? If so, I trimmed, heated, bent the tabs under the tub, and then riveted so that air could not slip behind it.

Hopefully this helps.
Best,
Mark

·
Registered
262 Posts
The parts list I got when looking into this is long and quite expensive. I think to do it without replacing the radiator, brackets, shrouding, and hoses with the correct gt3 parts would be quite a bit of custom fab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.