Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 CGTS developed a ticking noise at 1,500 miles, from reading posts here on Planet-9 it seemed to be and sounded like a bad lifter. The engine was running fine and all the gauges showed oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, etc. to be normal. I drove to my dealer and after driving in it with the service manager they agreed that it sounded like a bad lifter.

The engine was removed and a collapsed lifter was found and unfortunately also scoring on the camshaft. After scoping the engine cylinders one was found to have scoring due to metal particles. Porsche just approved an engine replacement with an engine being sent over from Germany. No 3.4 Liter GTS engines were available in the U.S.

I appreciate Porsche stepping up and replacing the engine and my dealer has been excellent throughout the issue. Engine will be here in a week and the re-install will take 2 to 3 days. Can't wait to have her back!!!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
What an unfortunate experience to have after 1500 miles!

I salute your sanity and optimism. Best of luck with the replacement.

PS Couldn't you have pushed them for the GT4 3.8L engine? ;)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
This one good example for those buying a preowned Porsche to NOT buy super low mileage cars, luckily this gentleman has warranty, I'll be frank, I can't believe this still happens, I know mechanical things break, but come on, Where's QC? On such an expensive car!, didn't Porsche learn anything with first generation and even second generation Boxster/Caymans? It really sticks in my craw!

Do you feel comfortable enough to stay with brand? Or are you not taking chances and moving on after this experience?

·
Registered
734 Posts
My 2015 CGTS developed a ticking noise at 1,500 miles, from reading posts here on Planet-9 it seemed to be and sounded like a bad lifter. The engine was running fine and all the gauges showed oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, etc. to be normal.
When you say it was running fine, do you mean there wasn't a noticeable decrease in performance? Now I will be paranoid the next time I hear a ticking sound.

·
Incurable Gearhead
965 Posts
OP, props to you on the great attitude, and to them for doing right. The former tends to always influence the latter!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not put off of Porsche because of this, I'm actually impressed with the level of service and response. It is a high performance (somewhat exotic) car, my first new car was a Corvette and it lost the transmission at 500 miles. This is my second Cayman and I also have a Macan, I can't see myself buying outside of Porsche for a long time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't notice any performance decrease. It was a pretty loud tick that changed with revs, so unless you hear something pretty loud I wouldn't be alarmed. Both my Caymans have ticked a little bit - at least until warmed up.
When you say it was running fine, do you mean there wasn't a noticeable decrease in performance? Now I will be paranoid the next time I hear a ticking sound.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My Cayman S is near 2 years old and has a slight ticking sound when cold. When it warms up the ticking goes away. With the engine practically in the passenger compartment, u are going to hear engine sounds. Just learn what is normal and what is not. I just had my 2 year 20,000 mile service at 4000 actual miles. The reports show everything perfect, with zero engine over revs. Engines will make noises, especially b4 warmed up (190F oil temp). Just get used to what is normal and be aware if something sounds unusual.
What I would like to know is how many folks here push their engines above 4500-5000 rpm b4 the oil gets up to temp? 190F is what the factory says it needs b4 revving higher. I'm of the opinion that this is more important than the factory rev restrictions when new, altho that is where all the chatter seems to be. To me, oil being hot is more important than how many miles are on the engine b4 pushing it. Most racers would also agree, would be my guess.
Are every one of u watching ur oil temp during warm-up, waiting until 190 b4 revving it higher? That is the really interesting question...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Collapsed lifters have had a history in the 986,987,996 and 997 if you do a search. A mechanic told me years ago it was due to the very small orifice openings of the lifter, which allow oil in to pressurize the lifter. If the orifice gets plugged, no oil supply and the lifter collapses--or so it would seem.

Not good news--although it doesn't happen often, you would think this would be a non-issue by now. IIRC, there was another poster on here about a year ago that went through the same deal and had his engine replaced.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Glad to see Porsche dealership identified the problem and didn't try to pass it off as being normal. I purchased my '14 CS used with 9K miles and CPO warranty which make me feel very comfortable after reading your experience. I have a brand new Yamaha motorcycle that is vibrating terrible between 3600 - 4500 rpms so I took it to the dealer for an inspection. They said nothing wrong they could feel or see :(. Went on a outing with bunch fellow riders with the same bike last weekend and was told by another rider with the same bike he experienced the same problem. His dealer charged him over $600 to re-sync the throttle bodies on a bike with just 600 miles on the clock! The dealer explain it was a common issue with the new engine and a required service at the first check-up. What a bunch of crap, a new bike and the dealership is claiming a first standard service requires throttle bodies to be sync'd at the owners expense. I'm refusing to paid that so I will be doing it myself tomorrow; glad I don't get this sort of thing with my Porsche.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been hearing a tick that increases with the revs no matter how warm the car is. and it isn't exactly quiet. I have 78k miles on my 2007 C2. Good thing I've got that warranty. I'll be taking it to the dealer first thing when I return home. I initially ran a search on the noise and just found a bunch of random sites and most of them pertained to Jeeps even after specifically putting 997.1 in the search. I left it alone but after reading this... eek! Now I'm a little concerned. If it comes down to an engine replacement, I wonder if they'll let me pay the difference to get the 3.8 or 4.0L motor? Hmmmm!!! If so, then it would sure be a rare thing to pray for a screwed up motor!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I appreciate Porsche stepping up and replacing the engine and my dealer has been excellent throughout the issue. Engine will be here in a week and the re-install will take 2 to 3 days. Can't wait to have her back!!!
If something like that happens to my 2015 CGTS, I hope I will handle the situation with the maturity and attitude that you have exhibited.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer just called, engine is in and running. Tech will test drive, check for any leaks and let it sit for a few hours before checking everything again. Will be able to pick her up late this afternoon or tomorrow!!! I've really missed driving her the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah!!! Picked her up today and everything looks great. I really appreciate my dealer and Porsche for coming through and not messing around, the new engine runs / sounds great and everything checks out. So much fun to drive her back home :) Such an amazing car, I love driving my Macan but the Cayman GTS is 10 steps beyond... Now, the long under 4,200 rpm 2,000 mile break-in again...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ppl says nowdays new car engines have already been break in during in factory before putting them in car. Dont know is it true or not this statement. Break in period is for gearbox.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
They are broken in after assembly before putting into car, you can see this happening on program "how it's made" Porsche 911.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They are broken in after assembly before putting into car, you can see this happening on program "how it's made" Porsche 911.
Not exactly...the engines are "Cold Tested" on compressed air to check for leaks and not fired up until they are installed in the vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts