Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday when I started my car the system says oil change in 8000 miles or the next 10 days??? I have only put 1800 miles on the car since the last oil change, so can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Did you reset the oil reminder when you did that oil change? If not there's the answer, you will need a durametric or equivalent to reset the computer, just another "you really should have taken it to our dealer network" from the fine folks at Porsche. In the Ford it's a button on the dash as it should be in all vehicles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you reset the oil reminder when you did that oil change? If not there's the answer, you will need a durametric or equivalent to reset the computer, just another "you really should have taken it to our dealer network" from the fine folks at Porsche. In the Ford it's a button on the dash as it should be in all vehicles.
I did have the oil changed at the dealer last time...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Service reminder is based on time (1 year) or mileage (10,000) which ever comes first. It may have been 355 days since your last oil change.
I understand that but, is it really that important to have to change it again after only 1800 miles???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I would purchase an icarsoft por 2 on Amazon and reset the reminder. Then do the oil change at 5k miles or 2 years. But that's just me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If they are not out of the way you can also take it back to the dealer, show them the mileage and ask for a reset unless as other's stated it's been a full year.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
One year or 10,000 miles and yes, even if you only run 1800 miles during that year. Oil can and does degrade due to moisture as well as mileage, hence Porsche's and, as far as I know, every other manufacturer's recommendation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yup, oil will absorb moisture over time, and then that water turns to steam when you do run the car, and all that starts to turn the oil into sludge. This is why oil change intervals are shorter for any (ICE) cars that are only run infrequently and for short periods of time...they don't get hot enough long enough to vapourize any small amount of moisture that accumulates.

Is this true? Yes. Will it happen to you? Who the f knows 😊 Just follow the schedule.

·
Registered
507 Posts
purchase an icarsoft por 2 on Amazon and reset the reminder
This is my solution, as well. Hard to believe they are down to $145. great device.
I do my oil change in the Fall, so non-acidic oil at least starts the winter. I drive a bit in every month, so it never really gets winterized. But, I only drive the Cayman for 5000 miles anyway, even in a normal year.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I put 987 miles on my PBS when the alert came up. I am not worried that my synthetic oil has degraded significantly enough to worry about changing it. By the time everything opens up I figure I will have about 1400 miles or 17 months on the oil. It will be fine. Keep in mind I am out of warranty coverage. If you are under warranty still, get it changed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
At the risk of getting flamed, here's my opinion on whether or not you need to change the oil after 12 months.

Oil gets contaminated predominantly by water and fuel. This degrades the oil quality and reduces its ability to do the job of lubricating the engine effectively.

Fuel gets in via blowby when the engine is cold started and the mixture is rich. More cold starts, more fuel in the oil.

Water gets in when the engine cools from operating temp and condensation forms in the crankcase. It will then get mixed into the oil then next time you run the car. This condensation in the crankcase is going to be worse in colder climates because the engine cools to a lower temp from operating. Even worse if the climate is both cold and humid. More water in your oil.

Fuel and water are removed by the engine running at operating temp for a length of time to have the fuel and water evaporate. If it doesn't have the chance to remove these impurities your oil will progressively degrade. Long trips are really good for the oil. Lots of short trips are bad. Add to this that shorter trips with low operating temps where clearances are incorrect with degrading oil and you can see why you need to change the oil based on time, not mileage.

To answer your question, how do you drive the car? There are a number of factors. What is the climate like? Do you drive the car 10 times a year (180 miles a trip) or 300 times a year (6 miles a trip)? It's all about getting the oil to operating temp and driving for a period of time at this temp. How long do you need to drive at operating temp? It depends on how much crap is in the oil, which is based on your climate, previous driving regime, etc, etc.

The reason they say to change after 12 months is because they have no idea of your driving regime and they want to ensure that good oil remains in the engine. In the driving regime is really poor, I personally would change the oil more often than every 12 months. If the driving regime/climate is poor, taking the car for a really good long drive (a couple of hours) every few weeks is going to do a lot of good for you oil.

So it's not an easy question to answer, and only you know how you drive your car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys thanks for all the replies, the car is still under warranty until May of 2022. so I guess I will bring it in for an oil change this or next week....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ok guys thanks for all the replies, the car is still under warranty until May of 2022. so I guess I will bring it in for an oil change this or next week....
If it is under warrantee you are required to change your oil at least once a year, but not required to have a dealer do it.

If you are interested in extending your oil change interval beyond one year post warrantee, I recommend having your oil tested by Blackstone Labs. A test will tell you how much fuel / water are in your oil and how much detergent life it has left.

I get my oil tested every change just for the insight into how my car’s engine is doing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it is under warrantee you are required to change your oil at least once a year, but not required to have a dealer do it.

If you are interested in extending your oil change interval beyond one year post warrantee, I recommend having your oil tested by Blackstone Labs. A test will tell you how much fuel / water are in your oil and how much detergent life it has left.

I get my oil tested every change just for the insight into how my car’s engine is doing.
So how do I go about getting a sample to send to the lab?

·
Registered
38 Posts
go to Blackstone Laboratories and get your free kit and instructions, very easy if you take care of your own oil. Even though the samples include a USPS shipping label on the container, i have heard that USPS has held up samples as they evaluate whether the contents (oil) are hazardous (oil is not). Therefore i put the samples in a small fed ex box/pak and ship. Yes, it costs me an extra $10-12 to ship, but I know it will get there, especially w/ the slow USPS service these days. The lab sends you results w/in a few days of receipt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
go to Blackstone Laboratories and get your free kit and instructions, very easy if you take care of your own oil. Even though the samples include a USPS shipping label on the container, i have heard that USPS has held up samples as they evaluate whether the contents (oil) are hazardous (oil is not). Therefore i put the samples in a small fed ex box/pak and ship. Yes, it costs me an extra $10-12 to ship, but I know it will get there, especially w/ the slow USPS service these days. The lab sends you results w/in a few days of receipt.
Just am update I contacted the dealership about an oil change they want $415 plus tax for a 2 hour job!!! Yikes!!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just am update I contacted the dealership about an oil change they want $415 plus tax for a 2 hour job!!! Yikes!!!
Don't know where you are located but in Tucson, the dealership wants $250 and that's if I provide the oil and filter. Seems like a bargain compared to your $415.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yikes is right. Do yourself a huge favor and find a qualified, independent Porsche mechanic. Dealers get away with those prices because some folks continue to pay them. Yeah, I get it. They have high overhead, bla, bla, bla, but give me a break. I don't even pay half that and get the exact same service the stealership would give me. Many who can will do it themselves and save even more. Just keep the documentation in the event you need warranty service for something in the future.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts