Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

As the title says and discovered what appears to be oil (See pix).

Since I am still learning about these engines, I was hoping a forum member might know what might be causing this seepage? Maybe a loose clamp or crack in a hose? This is right behind the driver's seat.

I have no idea when the last time the engine cover was off, but I'd guess at least a couple years as the air filter was fairly dirty (as was engine bay) for a summer only driven car.

My Cayman is an '09 with 19,700 miles.

Thank you.

Eddie

P.S. Can one use engine degreaser (spray) to clean this up? This is easy on a front engine car, but the Cayman leaves me guessing as hosing it off seems like it would gets very messy on the interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is probably some oil dripping from the clamps around the intake plenum (normal). Safest way to degrease is to tape a large garbage bag or plastic from the engine cover to the roof/hatch to shield the interior from the spray. Then you can degrease/wash and it will all run out the bottom.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks webspoke for your reply.

I will check the clamps the next time the cover is off.

Also, the garbage back is a good idea and will look into that. Controlling the degreaser seems easier than the rise, but I thought of using a pressurized sprayer (like for pesticide) to rinse it.

I might try it and will report back.

Thanks again.

Eddie

It is probably some oil dripping from the clamps around the intake plenum (normal). Safest way to degrease is to tape a large garbage bag or plastic from the engine cover to the roof/hatch to shield the interior from the spray. Then you can degrease/wash and it will all run out the bottom.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I clean my engine twice a year. I use glass cleaner applied to microfiber rags and some elbow grease it cleans up easily after the first time. Mostly just dust on mine. I have also used a vacuum to get some small rocks off the engine as well. Don't forget the rubber gloves.

Cman21

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cman21.

I did notice a little road debris in the nooks and crannies, but knew I'd be back in there for the oil and will give the engine a good cleaning then and also hopefully tighten up the clamps around the intakes.

Thanks all for your comments.

Eddie

I clean my engine twice a year. I use glass cleaner applied to microfiber rags and some elbow grease it cleans up easily after the first time. Mostly just dust on mine. I have also used a vacuum to get some small rocks off the engine as well. Don't forget the rubber gloves.

Cman21

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know if the intake clamps can be tightened?

I'm guessing yes, but it was not obvious with what I saw.

Thank you.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Thanks Cman21.

I did notice a little road debris in the nooks and crannies, but knew I'd be back in there for the oil and will give the engine a good cleaning then and also hopefully tighten up the clamps around the intakes.

Thanks all for your comments.

Eddie

Just an Iphone picture
But you can see the engine cleans up easily

Cman21

1 - 7 of 7 Posts