Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a new 981 Cayman S 18 months ago, which I love... however I had always planned on changing it after 24 months... so I'm starting to look around now as it will take time to spec, order and deliver.

I would love another Cayman S but the 718 is not so appealing due to the engine (let's not start that debate :) however I have not completely ruled it out.

I have a few questions which I would love some thoughts on.

01 - has anyone here changed up to one of the new 911s, and if so does the new 911 engine (3.0 Flat 6 Turbo) still have the same original sound? (still a flat 6 albeit a smaller engineer and a turbo)

02 - I'm considering the following... what are your thoughts on each

A - 718 GTS - I reckon they will unveil this at the Frankfurt motor show in September... as there are a lot of spie photos of a 'finished' GTS surfacing)

B - 911 Carrera S (3.0 F6 Turbo) - as crazy as this might sound, I'm really put off 911s because they have back seats (I know, crazy but I feel a true sports car should only have 2)

C - 718 GT4 - this might never happen but likely too so was thinking of holding out to see if they do release one

D - 718 Cayman S - higher performance albeit a smaller flat 4 engine

I know only 2 of the above 4 cars actually exist, but I would be very grateful for your thoughts on all 4 - thank you.

So out

B - 911

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Hi, I bought a new 981 Cayman S 18 months ago, which I love... however I had always planned on changing it after 24 months... so I'm starting to look around now as it will take time to spec, order and deliver.

I would love another Cayman S but the 718 is not so appealing due to the engine (let's not start that debate :) however I have not completely ruled it out.

I have a few questions which I would love some thoughts on.

01 - has anyone here changed up to one of the new 911s, and if so does the new 911 engine (3.0 Flat 6 Turbo) still have the same original sound? (still a flat 6 albeit a smaller engineer and a turbo)

02 - I'm considering the following... what are your thoughts on each

A - 718 GTS - I reckon they will unveil this at the Frankfurt motor show in September... as there are a lot of spie photos of a 'finished' GTS surfacing)

B - 911 Carrera S (3.0 F6 Turbo) - as crazy as this might sound, I'm really put off 911s because they have back seats (I know, crazy but I feel a true sports car should only have 2)

C - 718 GT4 - this might never happen but likely too so was thinking of holding out to see if they do release one

D - 718 Cayman S - higher performance albeit a smaller flat 4 engine

I know only 2 of the above 4 cars actually exist, but I would be very grateful for your thoughts on all 4 - thank you.

So out

B - 911
If you are considering 911's, a ten second search in that forum will find you two P9 members who recently acquired 911's. Anand discusses the sound at some length.

A and D are fairly similar cars - the GTS will have the same engine as the S with 20-25 HP more and will have a number of Base and S options as standard equipment.
The rumors (again, Search is your friend) are that the GT4 will have an NA 6. Who knows, but if it does it will probably be difficult (and expensive) to get one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is new the only option for you? What about a nearly new Cayman GT4 or GTS? Or are you looking to not buy something that similar to what you have?

I love the 911 so for me, if I could move up to that, it would be a no brainer to me, but it doesnt sound like you're that sold on it. I mean, if you're not sold on the 911 or the new 4 cyl turbo motors in the Caymans, I'd hop all over a current GT4 without a question.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Is new the only option for you? What about a nearly new Cayman GT4 or GTS? Or are you looking to not buy something that similar to what you have?

I love the 911 so for me, if I could move up to that, it would be a no brainer to me, but it doesnt sound like you're that sold on it. I mean, if you're not sold on the 911 or the new 4 cyl turbo motors in the Caymans, I'd hop all over a current GT4 without a question.
A nearly new GT4 will cost in the $110K - $120K price range. You can buy a new 991.2S for $120K, after discount.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A nearly new GT4 will cost in the $110K - $120K price range. You can buy a new 991.2S for $120K, after discount.
I realize that, however, if you dont really like the 911, then it doesnt really matter. Some say the GT4 is a better car than the 911 anyway, so at that point the cost isnt really relevant, its what car do you like better.

I've also seen GT4s coming down to right around $100k and even lower at this point. There are a lot out there just sitting around.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have considered what I would do with my 981 GTS, in the future. It's a bad habit of mine, always looking for the "next" car that I want. I have settled on the 991.1 or .2 Turbo, and I have thought about getting one in about three years. Have you considered a 911 Turbo? I hear they are exquisite!

I've also contemplated on switching to the 718, but that growl of the flat-six is just so awesome...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Ferrari?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
736 Posts
Do test drives - You can get the 991S with X51 (450HP/450Nm) - considerably quicker than a GT4 and much better handler with RAS.

GT4s have third gear problems and a new one is coming out soon. Also, I have a 981 GTS which I still enjoy, however the 991.2 S is spectacular in its delivery of fun and performance (just make sure you get RAS, I have also added X51 - the Porsche Power Kit).

However according to non-owners, on Planet 9 and Rennlist, it sounds terrible and has shocking turbo lag, apparently my (on order) 720S has these problems too ;). I guess I must be doing something wrong.

Bottom line, only you can answer your question to your satisfaction and if sound is your thing why are you bothering with Porsche get a Ferrari, Vantage V12 or GT350R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.